• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I'm looking for some ear muffs that I can use at the indoor rage, outside, and at work. Then for glasses, I would like to get some tinted glasses for outside shooting. They all have so many that I don't know which one to choose, but my problem with the glasses is that they're all tinted in either a yellow or orange. I'm looking for a black tint I guess?

On a side note, how would you feel about someone wearing a hat about guns, as their daily hat? I've been needing a new baseball cap hat for a while and have been thinking about getting one from glock. I'm fairly picky about hat design, but wonder if it would cause more conflict then good. Bunch of co-workers are gun people... They'll either mock me somehow or try to talk to me and be all, why do you have a glock hat if you don't even have a gun? ...G19 or 17 is one of my dream guns though.

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Gun Zone Deals

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Academy has the ear and eye stuff.
    Buy midrange on price. It'll do.
    Work stuff? We can't answer that. We can speculate all day, but we'd ask more questions than you want to answer.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I like the orange tinted ones. They work great on overcast days to make everything sharper. They are also okay in bright sunlight.

I don't worry too much about what people think of my hats.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Keep in mind that the Noise Reduction Rating is not the same as the decibel reduction.

From Cooper Safety

For example, if you are at a rock concert where the level of noise exposure is 100 dB and you are wearing earplugs with an NRR 33dB, your level of exposure would not be reduced to 67 dB. Instead, to determine the actual amount of decibel deduction applied (when decibels are measured dBA which is the most common), you take the NRR number (in dB), subtract seven, and then divide by two. Given the previous example, your noise reduction equation would look like the following: (33-7)/2 = 13. This means that if you are at a rock concert with a level of noise exposure at 100 dB and you are wearing a hearing protector with an NRR 33 dB, your new level of noise exposure is 87 dB. If you are wearing a product with an NRR of 27 it would deduct 10 decibels (27-7/2=10).

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    i use foam ear plugs w/ 3m peltor low pro electronic muffs. $55 at Walmart, they price matched to Amazon at $35

i usually wear my prescription glasses when I shoot. next time I get my eyes checked out I might get the Oakley persimmon lenses

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I came across two sets of hearing protectors at Goodwill the other day. Same stuff most ranges have. Best $4 I've spent in awhile.\

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Agree with prior posters. I used rubber plugs as well as earmuffs. Your hearing can never be repaired or restored.

As far as glasses, take a look at drivewear lenses. They are not cheap, but they are fantastic. They combine photochromatic lenses with polarization. Effective as sunglasses, but you can still see well when indoors.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Recently went thru a weekend machine gun shoot with just cheap foam plugs. One of my buddies brought his Barrett & it's break was right where my chair was that I sat reloading my magazines from.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Yes, you can get away with using foamies, but having a nice set of earpro is, well, nice. Personally, I have used Surefire EP4's for years and love them and recommend them highly. No need for a giant headset. For me, the in-ear sets are great because when shooting certain weapons, the big earmuff types can get pushed off due to cheek weld. They also don't leave this giant sweat-ring around my ear or get gross and sweaty after wearing them outside in the baking sun for hours. The EP4's are comfortable, and work great outdoors and very well indoors. So from personal experience and seeing what guys I work with use, my list would go like this:

These in-ear are listed in order of awesomeness to price value.
    In-Ear:
    -Surefire EP4/EP5/EP10 http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/earpro-products.html
    - Peltor TEP-100 these things are the absolute heat. awesome in every way except price. http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...Kit-1-Kit-EA-Case?N=5002385+3292682142&rt=rud
    -Giant box of foamies.

I am assuming you don't need use of a radio so I didn't really include those options. Also, these are in no particular order.
    Over-Ear:
    -http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2
    -http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/leightning-l0f
    -http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-PELTOR-SoundTrap-Tactical-6-S-Headset-Headband-MT15H67FB-01-1-EA-Case?N=5002385+3294780128&rt=rud

For hats and glasses, it's all about looking cool. Rule number 1. I wear Oakley's, I am in the minority at this point. For hats, who cares, it's a hat. Plenty of people buy a Ferrari hat and don't own a Ferrari. Get something that looks cool and rock it, Johnny Drama style.

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    For the record, these (Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport) do absolutely nothing. It's like wearing no hearing protection at all. Mostly because the head band is too loose, resulting in the ear pieces not sealing off your ears at all:

4PAgAV6.jpg

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    ... w/ 3m peltor low pro electronic muffs ...

For the range, I use the same Peltor's I use in the wood shop, but set to exclude all sounds.
    Pricey, but versatile if you need ear protection for multiple situations.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    For the record, these (Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport) do absolutely nothing. It's like wearing no hearing protection at all. Mostly because the head band is too loose, resulting in the ear pieces not sealing off your ears at all:

The Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs work pretty well for me at outdoor pistol ranges, even tho they are only NRR 22. I have problems with them when shooting a rifle. I can't get a good cheek weld without breaking the seal. I always supplement them with foam plugs when shooting rifles.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    For the record, these (Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport) do absolutely nothing. It's like wearing no hearing protection at all. Mostly because the head band is too loose, resulting in the ear pieces not sealing off your ears at all.....

We must have either different models or different shaped heads because mine have a tight seal and work great. Mine are electronic.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I guess a lot of folks here don't give a crap about their hearing. Over the ear muffs are typically NOT good enough to protect your ear drum... Custom ear inserts are the ONLY way to go. Don't cheap out on your ears.. 10 bucks might be cheap in the short run, but in the long run those hearing aids are thousands of dollars. Buy some good custom ear inserts.. I recommend finding a an EARINC dealer near you. I got my custom plugs for 60 bucks but they can run up to 300 and no matter what anyone says your hearing is priceless. I use this guy https://www.facebook.com/earprotection/ but he is in the Fort Worth area and there may be a dealer closer to you.

Go to www.earinc.com Find a dealer near you.

Top Bottom