• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I'm trying to figure out a way to build/mount a brass catcher to the upper rail of my ar-15, anyone have any zany home-builds worth noting?

I was thinking of maybe an offset flashlight ring with a pvc rod strapped in it and a simple mesh or canvas bag held open by a coat hangar or something attached to it.
    Guns International

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Probably not a good idea. I imagine the weight of the apparatus and any empty shells would be a problem. Graco makes a pretty cool brass catcher that you can mount to any camera tripod. Two friends of mine recently bought one for themselves. They just set it up next to their ARs or 1911s and blast away. All the brass ends up it the bag not on the ground. I bought a side mounted mesh type bag brass catcher for my ARs. It sucks because the bag hangs down next to the rifle and the brass accumulates between the fold in the bag and the side of the ejection port. I see you are in the Lubbock area. I am a Lubbock native. I attended Monterrey High and Texas Tech back in the mid 60s.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX

I made one like this myself. Works fairly well. Maybe not as refined as what you can buy, but being the first one I made, plus not having an endless amount of tools to work with, it turned out fairly well. Cost me only a few bucks too. I bought a minnow dip net, cut the bottom open and sewed in velcro, then took the wire rim and bent it/cut it to fit the ejection port and left a tang to put a piece of velcro on and attach it to the end of the hand guard.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Probably not a good idea. I imagine the weight of the apparatus and any empty shells would be a problem. Graco makes a pretty cool brass catcher that you can mount to any camera tripod. Two friends of mine recently bought one for themselves. They just set it up next to their ARs or 1911s and blast away. All the brass ends up it the bag not on the ground. I bought a side mounted mesh type bag brass catcher for my ARs. It sucks because the bag hangs down next to the rifle and the brass accumulates between the fold in the bag and the side of the ejection port. I see you are in the Lubbock area. I am a Lubbock native. I attended Monterrey High and Texas Tech back in the mid 60s.
    I am in the Lubbock area. I'm finishing my last year of a Petroleum Engineering degree at Texas Tech. Lubbock's a great place.
    Back in the 60's, that was back when it was Texas Technological College.
    Did you go to tech then off to OCS?

And I appreciate the input from all.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Yes it was TTC back then. The campus was also quite smaller than it is today. The AG guys farmed the area where the Med School, Law School, and new sports facility are today.
    My girl friend at the time decided we needed to see other people. We had dated through high school and into college. I was pretty bummed over this, so I decided to lay out the rest of the semester. Bad move on my part. Shortly afterward I received a letter from my local draft board informing me that I was now eligible to be drafted. I decided to volunteer for the draft. The Army drafted 300,000 guys the month I enlisted. The Recruiter promised me I would have better opportunities if I volunteered. Must have worked. After Airborne training I was stationed in Germany with the 3rd Armored Division in Frankfurt. I made sergeant in 16 months and got to ski in the Alps. The closest thing to combat I saw was when we would roll our tanks toward the border and play chicken with the Russian tanks on the other side. Thank God that never became a reality as we were outnumbered something like 10 to 1.

Top Bottom