• ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’m curious...
    For those with automatic climate control, do you “set it and forget it”?

Or do you fiddle with the temp and fan speed like a manual setup?

I’ve worked in the auto industry for a very long time. I think I’m the only person who lets it automatically do its thing.

I can’t recall the last car I got into with auto cc that didn’t have the temp at one extreme or another, with the driver adjusting the fan speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Venture Surplus ad

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Set it and forget it in my work truck 95% of the time. If I'm on a pipeline site or storage terminal working outside in full PPE this time of year, I'll increase the blower speed when I get in the truck to facilitate cooling.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    There’s nothing like being in my wife’s car on a hot day, and having the heater blasting because she made it too cold with the AC.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I set it and forget it.

My wife is the opposite. She usually doesn't travel far so the temperature is "lo" in the summer and "hi" in the winter.

She doesn't understand that it doesn't cool faster on low temperature any faster than leaving it on 68° or whatever.

Neither of our current vehicles have auto now so it is kind of a moot point anyways. We have both had them though.

Dual settings is what I really miss though. She is cold blooded and I am the opposite.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Kinda the same here - I tend to leave it on Auto, wife on Manual. She would use Auto mode all the time if there was a max fan speed option though. When the car is trying to rapidly cool after startup it really doesn't help to have it blasting hot air for a while.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Adjust in the car and house. If we leave it gets raised. Bedtime gets lowered. In the car, I hate hearing the fan run on high when I first get in trying to adjust to temp set.
    That said, I also actively look for shade if possible to park it and use the sun shade on the windshield.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I love mine. Set the temp I want and let it ride. Sometimes I have to put the defrost on but in the summer it's set and forget.

My wife's Expedition has "auto" but you have to set both the temperature and the fan speed manually.

Dual climate is a must. She will have hers set the lowest (60 in her truck). I will have mine at 70-72.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    My wife's Expedition has "auto" but you have to set both the temperature and the fan speed manually.

That doesn’t sound very Automatic to me...

It seems our wives are the wildcards.
    In the winter:
    House is 78 and she’s freezing

In the summer:
    Bedroom is 73 and she’s hot as hell, wants to lower it even more

Makes no sense to me...

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I usually use auto from fall through spring, but in the summer I keep the a/c on max, and temp as low as it goes, the fan starts on high and gets turned down as the vehicle cools off. Dual temps is great, but my wife never adjusts her side, because that would be one less thing she gets to nag about.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    She doesn't understand that it doesn't cool faster on low temperature any faster than leaving it on 68° or whatever.
    I used to have to go afield occasionally with a fellow officer who thought he was saving gas by setting his A/C to 80 degrees and the blower to the lowest setting. I did not enjoy 100-degree summer days in the field with him.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In the winter:
    House is 78 and she’s freezing

In the summer:
    Bedroom is 73 and she’s hot as hell, wants to lower it even more
    Because of her meds, my sister is unable to properly regulate her body temp. She's always hot. In the winter, I just get used to wearing a full-size coat in the house. She won't let me turn on the heater until the temp inside the house is in the 40s. When it's 50 degrees in the house, she's pretty happy.

In the summer, we "compromise" on 64 degrees, i.e. the A/C runs all summer without a break. Sometimes it can't keep up and the temp rises into the low 70s so I have to drag out a shop fan on a pedestal and aim it directly at her.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    That doesn’t sound very Automatic to me..

That's what I thought too. I don't try to understand it, I don't have to live with it. All I know is there's an auto button. My car climate works much better.:)

And yes, my wife would heat the house to 85 degrees in the winter if she could. We generally keep it around 67-68. We go between 72-73 in the summer.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I used to have to go afield occasionally with a fellow officer who thought he was saving gas by setting his A/C to 80 degrees and the blower to the lowest setting. I did not enjoy 100-degree summer days in the field with him.

My dad (may God rest his soul) thought there were only 2 settings on his truck's A/C: On full blast, and Off.

He would turn it to the coldest setting and highest fan speed until we were shivering and in danger of frostbite, and then would turn it off until we were dripping in sweat. Then back to full on again. Rinse and repeat. :facepalm:

It was maddening, and he could not be persuaded to moderate.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    My current truck is the first one with the auto setting. I don't like it. I don't need the fan blowing on the 3rd highest setting with a mix of warm and cold air to maintain a temperature. It's summer time. If the truck is cool, blow some cold air on low and call it good.

I prefer the knobs on the ac. All the way hot or all the way cold 98% of the time and adjust the fan speed as needed to maintain the temp.

The computer trying to figure out how to reach my ideal temp inside the cab is the same one that thinks it's 125° outside because I parked with the sensor facing the sun.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom