• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Here's the thing. you are not in anyway responsible for any store clerks life, money, etc., and you are in no way
    legally obligated to put your life on the line in defense of those folks. I have been involved in a defensive shooting
    where I was physically attacked, and let me tell you its not a picnic, even when you are in the right! It took over
    a year for one: to be no-billed by grand jury, and two: TO GET MY FIREARM BACK! Unless MY life is in danger, that
    clerk is on his own. I'm sorry that he or she has to work in one of those places, but if they cant be armed there, then
    I dont think it falls on me to have to defend their life. I'm not saying I wouldnt, but I would sure be thinking long
    and hard before I did.
    Capitol Armory ad

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Every round that you fire from that CHL handgun has a $20,000 price tag attached to it! if you miss the BG and hit an employee, passerby or a motorist, that $20K price will seem like chump change! The financial destiny of you and your family depends upon what you do with that gun and your trigger finger.

George Zimmerman screwed his entire working life, he took on possibly a quarter of a million Dollars in debt that he can repay IF he ever gets another job! That was over ONE shot! Meanwhile, he turned a street thug into a saint and made Trayvon's family wealthy.

If you can.....run! Don't risk everything that you own or everything that you will own to protect $100 of cash register money that is probably insured, anyway!

Most of you remember my Walmart parking lot "Hero" action. An escaping felon was being pursued by 6-7 employees in the parking lot. He HAD to run by me so when he got to me I hit the guy and knocked him onto the hood of a passing car. The employees caught him and guess what? The bastards never even said "Thank you!" Never again!

My CHL pistol will not see the light of day if I have an escape route. I will NOT insert myself into a felony situation unless I have nowhere else to go. I will NOT shoot unless I am scared shitless and fear for my life right here and right now and the thug brings the fight to me.

Flash

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I carry a weapon in public for: 1) defense of family, 2) defense of self, 3) defense of others' lives in that order. I do not do so in the defense of other people's property.

If my assessment of the situation is that the lives of my family or myself are in danger, I will use that weapon to defend ourselves to the best of my ability.

If it's that the assailants are only committing armed robbery, I will abstain as long as it appears my family and I are not a target.

The priority for me is to get and keep my family out of danger. Everything else is secondary to that point.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I carry a weapon in public for: 1) defense of family, 2) defense of self, 3) defense of others' lives in that order. I do not do so in the defense of other people's property.

If my assessment of the situation is that the lives of my family or myself are in danger, I will use that weapon to defend ourselves to the best of my ability.

If it's that the assailants are only committing armed robbery, I will abstain as long as it appears my family and I are not a target.

The priority for me is to get and keep my family out of danger. Everything else is secondary to that point.

Well said! My objective would be the same.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    According to GZ, if he had not fired that shot he would be dead.....
    And I agree.

I'm retired with time on my hands. I sat in front of my computer and watched every second of the court proceeding - pre-trial, trial, jury in or out, it didn't matter.

Zimmerman is no poster boy but he was 100% in the right. His defense team shredded the prosecution at every turn. It was flat out embarrassing for the prosecution; prosecuting an innocent man for political reasons must be an awfully difficult job. The defense team? They must have been in heaven. How often do you get a client who is actually innocent? (A dumbass, maybe, but in that moment, truly innocent.)

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I just don't know about that part. If you carry you should expect to use it. I have used Jeff Cooper's color codes for years before I knew about them. They just define and identify the level of awareness. I stay in Yellow when out in publc.

you know the old saying,.. "always be coureous and polite and have a plan to kill everyone in the roon"

I can be out in public and have a good time eating in resturants or shopping, but I'm always watching for a threat as well
    Ditto. I never sit with my back to the door in a restaurant or elsewhere and I keep my ears open for the audible signs of problems around me. Every now and then I challenge my wife with, "A masked man with a gun just came in the door-what do you do?" to keep her in Condition Yellow too.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Ditto. I never sit with my back to the door in a restaurant or elsewhere and I keep my ears open for the audible signs of problems around me. Every now and then I challenge my wife with, "A masked man with a gun just came in the door-what do you do?" to keep her in Condition Yellow too.

If I did that, my wife would probably grab my gun and shoot my ass so the masked man with a gun would get terrified of this crazy woman and run like hell! :roflfunny:

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't let your brain slip into that sort of negative mindset. No matter where in the U.S. you live, the odds are strong you will never need your daily carry. It's most assuredly not a matter of "when"; it's a matter of keeping your eyes open and your brain engaged. I've lived in *very* bad places and spent time working in worse and I know how easy it is to feel that bad things are inevitable. But they just aren't.

By all means carry; the stakes are too high. But don't expect to need your gun. Expect that your heightened situational awareness will help you see or feel something coming. Then be elsewhere.

I agree with that. Just pay attention to what is going on around you. Things can go bad in a hurry when that very very minimal statistical anomaly occurs. When I was deployed we were located in a country that was Muslim and was considered an ally. So no firearms when you went of base. We also had to wear civilian clothes and drive civilian vehicles. Nothing bad happened but there were a few minor incidents that could have. I think being aware and brain engagement will get you through. Worrying about what may happen with the chances that are so small it won't happen will not. Being elsewhere is also good advice. Don't tempt fate. If you have to be in a bad place take care of business and be elsewhere afterwords

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Holy necrothread! It's been almost five years since the last post! Why the sudden revival?

My previous post on my priorities under such circumstances hasn't changed, which are 1) defense of family, 2) defense of self, 3) defense of other's lives if possible. Otherwise, I will not risk intervening. It is not my job to protect other's money or property, both of which can be replaced; and anyone contemplating engaging with a weapon had better be damn sure that they have an absolute correct assessment of the situation and that their actions don't make matters worse in terms of returned fire, additional unknown assailants and innocent bystanders. Good intentions can still have bad consequences, and the law enforcement axiom that "every bullet has a lawyer attached to it" must be foremost in your mind before acting. As previously mentioned, even a good shoot took time and money to resolve; if there are any questionable aspects surrounding it than the consequences can be severe both financially and emotionally. Drawing a weapon and engaging someone under such circumstances should only be the very last resort with no other options...

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Holy necrothread! It's been almost five years since the last post! Why the sudden revival?

My previous post on my priorities under such circumstances hasn't changed, which are 1) defense of family, 2) defense of self, 3) defense of other's lives if possible. Otherwise, I will not risk intervening. It is not my job to protect other's money or property, both of which can be replaced; and anyone contemplating engaging with a weapon had better be damn sure that they have an absolute correct assessment of the situation and that their actions don't make matters worse in terms of returned fire, additional unknown assailants and innocent bystanders. Good intentions can still have bad consequences, and the law enforcement axiom that "every bullet has a lawyer attached to it" must be foremost in your mind before acting. As previously mentioned, even a good shoot took time and money to resolve; if there are any questionable aspects surrounding it than the consequences can be severe both financially and emotionally. Drawing a weapon and engaging someone under such circumstances should only be the very last resort with no other options...

Max,

I have the same underlying sentiment.

BUT

Shortly after getting my first CHL many years ago, there was a terrible crime in my Daughter's Dallas Metro PLANO neighborhood.

A young housewife, kids off to school, told her departing husband that she was going for a run in the neighborhood, carrying her garage door opener.

She never returned.

Investigators soon learned that numerous neighbors and passers-by had witnessed her violent kidnapping from a busy street. None stopped to help, or even reported it, as they all assumed it was a "domestic dispute" and didn't want to "get involved".

This was two blocks from my beautiful Daughter. On Daughter's usual jogging route.

The Lady was never seen again and the perp was never caught.

Perhaps we all do share a DUTY to help those in immediate danger of serious harm.

leVieux

woeno

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2020
    Houston
    Don't let your brain slip into that sort of negative mindset. No matter where in the U.S. you live, the odds are strong you will never need your daily carry. It's most assuredly not a matter of "when"; it's a matter of keeping your eyes open and your brain engaged. I've lived in *very* bad places and spent time working in worse and I know how easy it is to feel that bad things are inevitable. But they just aren't.

By all means carry; the stakes are too high. But don't expect to need your gun. Expect that your heightened situational awareness will help you see or feel something coming. Then be elsewhere.
    Better to have and never need, than need it and come up short possibly losing your life.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think we're both in agreement. It's not about the odds; it's about the risk. An expectation that "If I must, I am able to shoot" is a prerequisite to sensibly carrying a firearm.

However, the OP expressed a different sentiment, one along the lines of "One of these days, I feel sure I'm going to have to shoot somebody." That's not a good mindset. From a purely statistical point of view, it's simply wrong. Most normal people who don't carry a gun as a job requirement should expect that they can carry for the rest of their lives without having to shoot anyone. Thats the way the numbers shake out.

Always be alert, aware, and ready; sure. But being resigned to bad things happening tends to be self-fulfilling. That is the attitude I was addressing when I said "don't expect" to need a gun. Expect to be smart enough to not need a gun.

But have one if things go to hell.

I really think our respective statements are consistent, even if we're concentrating on different parts of the question.

Can we agree that the pessimism of the OP is not a good idea? That's really all I was trying to communicate.

I'm with Ben. . . . .

But my hand goes to my gun.

I have been unarmed when attacked by a violent ex-Con.

Since that, I ALWAYS carry.

I have stopped three assaults by: "DON'T MAKE ME DRAW MY WEAPON !" Gun never left holster.

If you are going to carry, you MUST pre-decide that you WILL SHOOT to protect your life, or those of loved ones, IF you have to. Innocent strangers are optional, but we do have a duty to others.

leVieux

Top Bottom