• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is the NRA Corrupt At the Top and in Need of a Major Change ?

• Yes

Votes: 76 93.8%
    • No

Votes: 3 3.7%
    • I Will Gargle Wayne LaPierre’s Balls No Matter What He Does

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I was one "no" vote and I will explain my reasoning [disclosure: I have been a NRA member for about 20 years]:

First, the poll is poorly framed (we can argue about bias separately, but speaking only of how it's worded).
    It says "Is the NRA Corrupt a the Top...". That could mean that EVERYONE at the top is corrupt. Are they?
    How far "down" do you mean to extend that to include "the top"? Anyone higher than a member?
    Do we need to replace everyone in a upper position? Maybe we do. I don't know.
    Bottom line, that would have been a good response to include. "I don't know. Need more info."
    I have not taken the time to research much, only heard some mentions about misuse of funds and buying expensive suits. I have seen few links to any solid facts about what is really going on. I am not ready to make a call on the issue based on headlines.

Secondly, let me point out that a "no" vote doesn't mean that they are "okie dokie" and "doing a bang up job". I saw it as saying "NOT all corrupt at the top". Any organization of that size is going to have faults. And I think it is up to members to address the faults and get things fixed. I really hoped that there would be more discussions along those lines here, but it seems that for many it is a "take no prisoners" approach.

I also did resonate a bit with Flash, that we need to stand behind an organization that is seen as "pro-gun". I get really sick of pols that have great ideas for gun laws and they DO routinely attack the NRA. A lot of the public attacks the NRA, as well. I have found that most have no idea of what the organization is and does. Some of the opinions I have read sound like they think that the NRA is handing out "assault weapons" on street corners. There is a huge need for education for the general public. I think that the NRA has done a fair job of that.

Sorry, that got long winded. I started out thinking "I don't have a dog in this fight", but was watching the dialogue pretty closely. I do have opinions on it and it it can't be boiled down to "all good" or "all bad" for me.

PS - I thought the suggestion someone had to start a new topic area for this discussion was a good one. Let's do it.

</end rant>
    I have always been clear about what I mean by “the top” the poll only needed yes or no. But hey, thanks for responding.

I think you are severely overthinking it, but truly, thank you for your answer.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was one "no" vote and I will explain my reasoning [disclosure: I have been a NRA member for about 20 years]:

First, the poll is poorly framed (we can argue about bias separately, but speaking only of how it's worded).
    It says "Is the NRA Corrupt a the Top...". That could mean that EVERYONE at the top is corrupt. Are they?
    How far "down" do you mean to extend that to include "the top"? Anyone higher than a member?
    Bottom line, that would have been a good response to include. "I don't know. Need more info."
    I have not taken the time to research much, only heard some mentions about misuse of funds and buying expensive suits. I have seen few links to any solid facts about what is really going on. I am not ready to make a call on the issue based on headlines.

Secondly, let me point out that a "no" vote doesn't mean that they are "okie dokie" and "doing a bang up job". I saw it as saying "NOT all corrupt at the top". Any organization of that size is going to have faults. And I think it is up to members to address the faults and get things fixed. I really hoped that there would be more discussions along those lines here, but it seems that for many it is a "take no prisoners" approach.

I also did resonate a bit with Flash, that we need to stand behind an organization that is seen as "pro-gun". I get really sick of pols that have great ideas for gun laws and they DO routinely attack the NRA. A lot of the public attacks the NRA, as well. I have found that most have no idea of what the organization is and does. Some of the opinions I have read sound like they think that the NRA is handing out "assault weapons" on street corners. There is a huge need for education for the general public. I think that the NRA has done a fair job of that.

Sorry, that got long winded. I started out thinking "I don't have a dog in this fight", but was watching the dialogue pretty closely. I do have opinions on it and it it can't be boiled down to "all good" or "all bad" for me.

PS - I thought the suggestion someone had to start a new topic area for this discussion was a good one. Let's do it.

</end rant>

Should we really stand behind an organization because it is “seen as” pro gun? What if that organization has actually become harmful to gun rights?

It’s a similar mindset that has had the left wing defending antifa (An example, not an attack on you). The media portray them as anti racism and people have defended them because of it even though they are the opposite of what they claim to be.

Now, I don’t actually take issue with “the NRA”. I take issue with the anti 2A actions the NRA has taken and it’s hand holding with the democrats and seemingly greater concern with political correctness than 2A rights. None of which deserves support regardless of how the NRA is “seen”.

IMO, it would be far more effective for all of that support to be transferred to an organization that’s actually fighting for 2A rights. It would send a far better message to lawmakers as well and let them know we have no interest in lip service. With the 2020 elections coming up its more important than ever, especially when the NRA gives “A” ratings to politicians who are happy to wipe their asses with out 2A rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas

</end rant>

Look into the Ackerman McQueen fiasco going on with the NRA and has been for years.........the NRA must change leadership....they are the one's who got us into this mess.....No not all at the top are corrupt, nor is all the Board of Directors but most all have been sitting on their hands while the ship flounders................

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    All sides are closing in on the NRA presently......The Left, The Right, The State Governments and the Membership.

I will upgrade my Endowment Life membership as soon as changes are made.......I will start donating again, once changes are made....... I am not anti-NRA.

When the NRA started the blended learning for basic pistol courses, the majority of both NRA Training Counselors and Instructors told them it would not be in the best interest of the NRA. The Instructors at the Corporate Level told us, give it a chance, it is the way of the future, it will succeed. I know now that several of those same Corporate Instructors are no longer with the NRA by choice because even though they were spewing the NRA talking points they didn't believe it was going to be anything but the albatross it turned out to be......They became disillusioned and quit. Two of them are leading a charge to remove ole WLP and others....

NRA Instructors across the country stopped doing NRA basic Pistol and other courses. It finally got so bad the NRA relented and said the Instructors could go back to the old classroom setting style as before. Too late. The damage was done and it was a severe wound. Instructors around the Country had already put their own courses together and had given up doing NRA Basic Pistol Courses. It was supposedly about the NRA controlling what was being taught in the NRA classes. They didn't want instructors going off script, ect. It was all about the NRA taking more of the cut and leaving the instructors with less.

Now, they are hawking and releasing a 50 State CC course. It will be another albatross costing the NRA Membership millions........and will not recoup the costs....

It makes me sad, mad and angry what the leadership has done in the last few years and that doesn't include the facts of the bump stock, red flag laws and other crap like Harry Reid's A+ NRA rating when he was in the Senate.....

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    As an NRA Benefactor, Life Member and former NRA Pistol Instructor I sadly have to agree with Younggun and V-Tach's responses. Its been a sad realization over the past couple years. The membership may be comprised of 2A supporters but how do you get those changes past the board members who have their fingers in their ears and are chasing a profit? My financial support will be going to other organizations for the foreseeable future.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The NRA is more concerned about making a profit than protecting the 2nd amendment, and if that's the case it shouldn't be asking for donations. WLP and others are making big time money and are using donated funds to further their own agenda. They'll ride the tails of other organizations while doing very little to push gun rights.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Well. I guess I may have been right.

Imagine that.

Hey Rog!
    FFE86E92-FFE7-4A22-B7EA-DDAD78411926.gif

Attachments

• FFE86E92-FFE7-4A22-B7EA-DDAD78411926.gif
      FFE86E92-FFE7-4A22-B7EA-DDAD78411926.gif
      1.4 MB · Views: 434

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have to wonder about their membership numbers. I read here where people didn't renew & I get it. Then there are life member & above who don't agree with them, but are not throwing away membership. Wonder how many dead life member are on the books?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I have to wonder about their membership numbers. I read here where people didn't renew & I get it. Then there are life member & above who don't agree with them, but are not throwing away membership. Wonder how many dead life member are on the books?
    I didn't renew.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom