• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Which do you prefer and why? They both get pretty good reviews and can be had for relatively cheap
    DK Firearms

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    IMO,
    pmags are far and away the best AR mags out there, I like the dust cover that snaps to the bottom of the mag so you dont loose it. But mainly they just NEVER fail....

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    No real preference. If you are carrying mags in pouches (e.g., competition), it matters a little since Pmags might not fit in pouches adjusted for GI mags. At least, the Blade Tech pouches need to be adjusted between GI and Pmag.

Lee

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    PMAGS, hands down. They can be disassembled easily like a pistol mag, makes cleaning easy. Every time you disassemble a GI mag, it gets weaker because of bending those metal tabs on the bottom of the mag tube. Just look at the torture test PMAG vids on Youtube to see what I mean. Also, the they are a true 30rd mag, so you don't have to download to 28rd to ensure reliable function and ease of mag insertion. The PMAGs are probably one of the best things (short of chrome lining the bore) to happen to the AR since they first came out. They work, they're reliable and durable as heck, and they're cheap. Doesn't get much better than that. Oh, and for long term storage you while loaded, you can snap the dust cover on and it will take the tension off the feed lips so they'll last a lot longer.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    We've replaced probably 10 AR15 magazines in our rental using the aluminum and steel magazines, sometimes one a month, that is until I convinced them to put a PMAG in the rental about a year ago. Now we are still on that same PMAG and boy is it beat and ugly looking, but the thing has easily improved the reliability of our rental AR15 by 80%.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Every time you disassemble a GI mag, it gets weaker because of bending those metal tabs on the bottom of the mag tube.

It is not necessary to bend the four metal tabs to get the floor plate off the magazine. You just need to use a drift pin to depress the small tab on the bottom front through the hole and then push the floor plate off the other end. It doesn't take very much to get it out of the way to remove the floor plate.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    It is not necessary to bend the four metal tabs to get the floor plate off the magazine. You just need to use a drift pin to depress the small tab on the bottom front through the hole and then push the floor plate off the other end. It doesn't take very much to get it out of the way to remove the floor plate.

And here the whole time I thought you were supposed to flare the feet lips to disassemble the GI mag! Okay, not really. The thing is, they are made to be serviced in the field by grunts. Bending the tabs would have never made it if that was the case.

I like the PMAGs better than USGI, but I liked my Thermold mags quite a bit as well. The PMAGs are quieter than GI mags and Thermolds are quieter than PMAGs. No rattle.

AresV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    Rockwall
    PMAGs > *

Buy them and don't ever look back. They're one of the greatest inventions for the AR platform ever.

They're even better than the $50 HK roller bearing BS mags.

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I only run p mags and I haven't looked back. I wont say they are fail proof but I've been running them exclusively for the last 3 year and I have yet to have an issue with them.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    PMag is my preference. I'm only a casual shooter.... no competition and unless zombies attack or the SHTF my AR doesn't come into play for defense. But Pmag's have been perfect and that's what I would load up.

Top Bottom