• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Somehow in the modern USA, the concept of physical disability has come to be synonymous with the wheelchair. While some of our most severely disabled folks do use wheelchairs, all disabilities don’t involve them.

<>

I recall a few years back, a Houston local TV station did a “special” on the abuse of disabled parking permits. Their cameo presentation involved depiction of a man whom they had followed & recorded, while he was using a restricted parking space, then followed him throughout the store, surreptitiously recording his shopping & departure.

Less than three weeks later, they aired the infamous segment, intending to publicly ridicule the gent.

But, his surviving Family was incensed !

For, he had been terminally ill at the time, and had died a few days afterwards. Before the airing.

I use this to illustrate that one can’t always tell, so “judgements’’ should only be made with care.

My own disability was from hereditary progressive inflammatory osteoarthritis. First, I had to quit running in my 30’s, then walking for exercise in my early 50’s. Got fat. Things progressively worsened until the pacemaker at age 75.

But, the underlying condition causes overall intermittent difficulties. Characteristic of the problem, “morning stiffness” and “stiffness” after any prolonged inactivity gradually lessens with resumed physical activity. So, on parking & exiting vehicle I often can barely walk. But after some 20” walking about a store, leaning on cart, when I come out I’m walking much better. Observers see, and think I’m abusing my permit.

Other than walking, my big problem is inability to bend over Yet, all ”disability” reserved facilities place everything at seated level, so are much worse for me and those like me.

Anytime I’m away from something I can quickly grab for support, I carry a walking cane. Folks at Church wonder why I always carry it, but rarely use it. Our Church is old, the parking is about 1.5 blocks from the door. I explain: “I never know when I’ll need the cane; but, once I do need it, I can’t go-get it.”

Please be careful when judging others.

leVieux

<>
    Venture Surplus ad

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I walk with a cane for the most part, and leave it in the car so if I go somewhere with someone else often regret forgetting it.I can totally relate to leaning on the cart while buying groceries. The store I shop at you have to load the belt for the checker & by the time I'm done I generally am in a world of hurt.

For carrying the groceries into the house I bought a pull wagon. Making 2 trips beats the hell out of several. Once they are put away it's pound a big Ice water, cool down then nap time for me.

I would have no problems addressing anyone who questions my disability. I had to lawyer up to get it, but thats pretty much SOP. The day of the hearing I never even seen the judge. He reviewed my claim & medical & say pay the man. My lawyer said it was the very first time he had ever seen it.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I walk with a cane for the most part, and leave it in the car so if I go somewhere with someone else often regret forgetting it.I can totally relate to leaning on the cart while buying groceries. The store I shop at you have to load the belt for the checker & by the time I'm done I generally am in a world of hurt.

For carrying the groceries into the house I bought a pull wagon. Making 2 trips beats the hell out of several. Once they are put away it's pound a big Ice water, cool down then nap time for me.

I would have no problems addressing anyone who questions my disability. I had to lawyer up to get it, but thats pretty much SOP. The day of the hearing I never even seen the judge. He reviewed my claim & medical & say pay the man. My lawyer said it was the very first time he had ever seen it.
    <>

I never filed for “disability” benefits.

At first I didn’t even want the parking tags. I was seeing Dr. Daniels, the Rheumatology Chief @ UTMB.

Last visit, he asked “Do you need for me to sign the forms for your disabled permits? I said “I don’t need them”. He replied “To Hell you don’t; you are worse-off than 90% of the patients who use them. Here, I’m going to give them to you, anyway!”

I use “marine dock carts” to bring groceries in. Their big wheels make the 7 steps up to my porch easier.

”Old Age is not for Sissies!”

Then,

We DIE !

leVieux

<>

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    <>

I never filed for “disability” benefits.

At first I didn’t even want the parking tags. I was seeing Dr. Daniels, the Rheumatology Chief @ UTMB.

Last visit, he asked “Do you need for me to siign the forms for your disabled permits? I said “I don’t need them”. He replied “To Hell you don’t; you are worse-off than 90% of the patients who use them. Here, I’m going to give them to you, anyway!”

I, use “marine dock carts” to bring groceries in. Their big wheels make the 7 steps up to my porch easier.

”Old Age is not for Sissies!”

Then,

We DIE !

leVieux

<
    Shorter of Breath
    And one day closer to death.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

For those questioning why I always cary a cane, but rarely actually use it; here is the answer:

Frequently, the cane can be suddenly, unexpectedly needed. On those occasions, I am unable to “go get it”.

So, kinda like an “EDC”, I like to carry it whenever away from something I can grab onto for support.

Shopping carts, stair rails, church pews, etc. at hand obviate immediate needs for cane support.

One small warning: Always call it a “Cane” or “walking stick”; now that the polite French word “baton” can mean a type of weapon. i once got into some minor trouble with l’Armee Francais in CDG Airport @ Paris for calling my stick a “baton”. I was immediately taken aside by a Captain carrying both his service pistol and a SMG in a neck sling; chastised for using the French word for “stick” (“mon baton”) in the secure pre-boarding area.

<>

Top Bottom