• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Visiting Manila and one of the big headlines yesterday I thought you guys would enjoy was about the National Police purchasing new Gen4 G-17's.

The paper said for the first time every police officer will have a short gun (handgun). Right now less than half of the officers have issued handguns. Of course the deal is darkened by the allegations of corruption as is most things here.

The contract calls for the 59,904 pistols, 2 magazines, cleaning kit, box, holster and 28 rounds of ammo for each. LOL, I guess practice ammo will come later.

Other observations, this has got to be the highest security hotel I have ever been to in a not in fully at war country, M-16 toting security everywhere in full battle rattle. Black tactical uniforms, rifles, knee and elbow pads, batons, etc on every corner with roving K-9 officers, searching of any vehicle approaching the hotel by dogs and staff. Each security guard can see at least two of his comrades at any given time from what I can tell. Not the first time I have seen para-military type of security in a hotel (Belfast, Europe, Mexico, etc.), but not in the numbers to this extent. Something I would expect to see at this level in Iraq or Afghanistan, but not here.

Metal detectors and bag searches are required to go into most stores or the mall areas. Most all uniformed, armed officers I see are private contractors. Seen a few local police, but mostly other types of security.

The one local LEO outside the hotel on the street corner was carrying a stainless 1911 in his holster without a magazine. Must be officer Barnie Fife with a bullet in his pocket. Good news is any trouble comes around the guys from the hotel 15 feet away could take care of it.

Was getting some exercise yesterday morning when I witnessed a shift change near the mall, one guy passed the revolver to the oncoming officer so he could go home. That hit me as funny at the time. Been trying to stay within sight of at least one uniformed officer at any given time when roaming the streets at dawn, but it's easy to get into a bad part of town in a hurry here.

Got to let SC-Texas know that the armed Starbucks guard really liked the "NFA Gun Trust" cap I was wearing. Probably did not know what it meant, but the Mac with the can embroidered on the front caught his eye and he asked about it. Think I will leave that at the hotel from now on.

Most all of these security guys are pretty professional and friendly and keep an eye out for their out of country guests. Like how I get the greeting "Good Morning" during my crack of dawn walks from most of them.

Life is definitely an adventure here..............
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have an uncle that is retired and living there. He was stationed there and married there. She will be joining him soon when she retires. That is about all I know about that country.

If you see him tell him I said hi................................hahaha.

Be safe.

Top Bottom