Texas SOT

Persian Ibex Hunt - Anyone Have Any Experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I've been invited to hunt Persian Ibex in the Florida Mountains outside of Deming New Mexico. I had never even heard of such a creature until I got the invite. I've googled them and watched YouTube videos of some hunts but still have no clue what method should be used when hunting them. They're reportedly notoriously reclusive and the guy who will be my guide has told me that most of his hunts that get screwed up get blown by the hunter's cameraman (dammit I'm a cameraman too!). They spook that easily.

I'm hoping to find some TGT members who are experienced hunting these creatures who can give me some advice.

I have a wide variety of rifles and calibers to choose from so I'd like to hear your suggestions there. I'd also like to hear about any techniques that you have successfully used that you'd be willing to pass on.

Like I mentioned, I'll be using a guide so I'm not going to be out there in full retard mode (as I would be if alone) but would really like to hear some suggestions. If you don't have any suggestions for me but have a good Persian Ibex hunt story that you'd like to pass on I'd like to hear that also.

Ibex Hunt in New Mexico - YouTube
    (Ignore the retarded Lib comments)
    Texas SOT

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well, sounds interesting. I've never been on a guided hunt before and would be real curious as to how your experience went. Please let us know how it was when you get back.

btw, when I first read "Florida Mountains" I thought, "Aw dang... There ain't no mountains in FL; you've been scammed!". Then I actually looked it up

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Any "deer" rifle will do. The flatter the shooting the better. Yes Ibex spook easy, but they are also curious so you never know if they will run away from, or to you. Odds are they will run away, but sometimes......

The method of hunting should be discussed with the outfitter. Ask what would be the most successful means to fill your goal. Are you going for the experience, do you want a trophy, or is it a vacation?

As to the meat, it can be eaten, but prep and cooking takes a little work.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Any "deer" rifle will do. The flatter the shooting the better. Yes Ibex spook easy, but they are also curious so you never know if they will run away from, or to you. Odds are they will run away, but sometimes......

The method of hunting should be discussed with the outfitter. Ask what would be the most successful means to fill your goal. Are you going for the experience, do you want a trophy, or is it a vacation?

As to the meat, it can be eaten, but prep and cooking takes a little work.

Thanks for the information. I'd never heard of them being curious.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    When are you going to be up there? Thanksgiving week, I'll be driving past Deming to go camping north of Silver City.

Right now I'm not really sure when I'll get a break in my schedule to get up there. I also have some more to figure out as I have never hunted in New Mexico before. I'm sure there are going to be some hoops to jump through.

Top Bottom