• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I got a Ruger Single Six with both lr and mag cylinders, in the original box, with the red felt cylinder bag for $200......last year. It was in almost 95% condition and I don't think the mag cylinder had ever been installed.....Girl behind the counter says the sell at least 1 - 3 guns a day! And, NO, I won't tell you which one it is!

You know you suck (in the Usenet sense), right? ;)

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    About 8 years ago I found a Rem 700 in 30-06. Average price, not too high but not a steal. Saw the serial number and called Remington that day. It was made in ‘65. Went back the next day and grabbed it.

About the only thing I’ve found worth buying in one so far. I still look occasionally but often you can buy from GB and pay shipping and transfer fee cheaper than their price.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Never understood the attraction of buying anything from a pawn shop.
    When Pawn Shops were individually owned and before the easy access to information they were a great source for good buys. The owner would sell for anything he could get to turn a profit. Now they are more like franchises and the prices are set by corporate. I haven't been one for years.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bought / traded for a Marlin 336 in 30-30, with a scope. I gave them my old guitar that wouldn't stay in tune and $32. I kind of feel like i only paid about $100 total.

I've bought a bunch of stuff at pawn shops, and they were all good deals.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    If I'm out with the spouse and she's going to a clothing store near one then I'll stop by. Just for humor's sake. Sometimes they'll have a nostalgic item that I don't need. Used guns are always near msrp.

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    This has been my experience in every pawn shop I've ever been in over the last 20 years.
    One new me often has some good deals; I just have to wait them out a bit, and they start wheeling and dealing. I've gotten some OK deals, a couple of not so good, and quite a few really great deals on things that other people just weren't ready to try. :) My latest is a really weird HK91 knockoff.. basically paid parts prices for it, also getting a decent deal on an Eotech 512. Some stuff is kinda wacky priced.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I picked up my AMD-65 at a pawn shop in Gatesville many years ago. The price was about average, but the fact that they were getting so tough to find motivated me to drive up there to get it.

Otherwise, most pawn shops around here are so ridiculously priced that I stopped looking a while back. After an employee argued that a Romanian AES-10B was "new" when it obviously wasn't I just quit going. It just isn't worth the time or trouble...

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

As several members here know, I collect vintage TEXAS LONGHORNS & OLYMPIC GAMES memorabilia & MOST pawn shops have NO idea what those items are worth & price them VERY LOW.
    (I recently bought a 1984 Summer Games Equestrian Events "staff vest" at a suburban Dallas pawn shop, in MINT condition, for 10.oo plus tax. - That vest is worth at least 150.oo to a collector & might bring 200.oo+ to the right collector.)

ADDENDA: To show you how little that pawnbrokers know about such things as I collect, I found an official USA hockey practice jersey (That was the year that the USA won the GOLD, after beating the USSR.) from the 1980 Lake Placid Games, this afternoon for 20.oo+ tax.
    (I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how much that it will sell for on ebay.com but I'll soon find out.)

That said, I've NOT seen a single bargain in firearms or related items in at least a decade at any pawn shop.

yours, satx

Last edited:

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Almost half my firearms have come from pawn shops. It really depends on the shop. I've only bought two at a pawn shop here in Texas. In Oregon I had a very good working relationship with the biggest pawn shop in Portland. Most of the time I was buying guns for 40-50% off the tagged price.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Almost half my firearms have come from pawn shops. It really depends on the shop. I've only bought two at a pawn shop here in Texas. In Oregon I had a very good working relationship with the biggest pawn shop in Portland. Most of the time I was buying guns for 40-50% off the tagged price.

You ever fish Mayfield Lake when you lived in Portland?

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Winchester 1897, ugly Parkerized finish, 20" barrel with some weird cuts in the barrel and flaming piss-pot markings. The heat shield...that they had just taken off...was thrown in on the deal. Had to pay for the bayonet; that was in the "junk knife" case.

Ah, good times.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Winchester 1897, ugly Parkerized finish, 20" barrel with some weird cuts in the barrel and flaming piss-pot markings. The heat shield...that they had just taken off...was thrown in on the deal. Had to pay for the bayonet; that was in the "junk knife" case.

Ah, good times.
    Nice. How long ago was that?

Top Bottom