4828580.gif
      188.6 KB · Views: 429

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Loaded firearm left in the open on the seat of an unlocked vehicle and unattended....

Nope, nothing wrong with that............

Two separate and distinct issues. Could be the owner was punished for leaving a firearm unsecured if they have that kind of law but, note the reason for the decision:
    “...the Dubois Circuit Court and a unanimous three-judge Court of Appeals panel said Indiana law immunizes gun owners from civil liability for any subsequent use of their stolen firearms....”

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Two separate and distinct issues. Could be the owner was punished for leaving a firearm unsecured if they have that kind of law...

Which Texas doesn't, except for §46.13. Making a Firearm Accessible to a Child (defined as "a person younger than 17 years of age").

Is it smart to leave a firearm unsecure anywhere? No. Is it illegal other than §46.13? Again, no.

The court was correct in its ruling.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    But, but, I am sure I read on here somewhere that gunowners are liable for what happens when their gun is stolen even if the car is locked...

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    But, but, I am sure I read on here somewhere that gunowners are liable for what happens when their gun is stolen even if the car is locked...
    It has been stated recently that you are responsible for a bullet fired until it stops. I was taught that a bullet fired without a known destination will seek out a station wagon full of nuns.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I recently sold a S&W Revolver to a fellow employee. He lived in an apartment. His apartment was broken into and the pistol among other things was stolen. There was no bill of sale between us for the purchase.
    I bought the pistol at a gun store, so any paperwork was in my name.
    I became concerned about my liability. My coworker informed the police concerning our pistol transaction. The Plano Police told him that since he had reported the pistol stolen, and liability stopped at the date of the report. If the gun was taken to a pawn shop the police would be notified. If it was used in a crime, neither of us would be liable. Unless we had done the crime.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom