One scope for multiple rifles, or multiple scopes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I am using Arken Optics FFP rifle scope SH-4 4-14X44 with AZS Zero Stop.
    https://www.hancockarmory.com/arken-optics-sh-4-4-14x44-ffp_p0022.html

I've only seen the Arken on a few posts so far, and only in 2 of them, over on snipershide, do the posters have more than a very few posts or history.

Arken has no warranty info on their site, and the dude who is supposed to be a vendor on snipershide said, iirc, 'pm me' for info. Not confidence inspiring.

They look like the same tube/body as primary arms' 4-14, which I think at last count, 5 different vendors were using for their own name branding, produced by the same chinese vendor.

Likewise, nobody has posted a box or return to zero test...of course, one of the guys who is a vendor has said he's done a box test, but, well, even though pics of that kind of thing would be easy to fake, it's still not confidence inspiring.

And when they're ~$75 more than either Primary Arms (known company, well known 3 year warranty), or a used vortex or athlon (lifetime warranties on both), well, although they look nice I'll pass until they're a truly known quantity.
    Military Camp

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Chinese glass. Limited lifetime warranty per their website. You get what you pay for when it comes to scopes IMO.

Bellows

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    USA
    I've only seen the Arken on a few posts so far, and only in 2 of them, over on snipershide, do the posters have more than a very few posts or history.

Arken has no warranty info on their site, and the dude who is supposed to be a vendor on snipershide said, iirc, 'pm me' for info. Not confidence inspiring.

They look like the same tube/body as primary arms' 4-14, which I think at last count, 5 different vendors were using for their own name branding, produced by the same chinese vendor.

Likewise, nobody has posted a box or return to zero test...of course, one of the guys who is a vendor has said he's done a box test, but, well, even though pics of that kind of thing would be easy to fake, it's still not confidence inspiring.

And when they're ~$75 more than either Primary Arms (known company, well known 3 year warranty), or a used vortex or athlon (lifetime warranties on both), well, although they look nice I'll pass until they're a truly known quantity.
    I was in the same spot as you but decided to give a try. After doing a side to side comparisons and I have to say, Arken tracks way better than PA or Athlon.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I was in the same spot as you but decided to give a try. After doing a side to side comparisons and I have to say, Arken tracks way better than PA or Athlon.

To be clear, when you say 'side by side comparisons,' do you mean actually shooting a box test and/or return to zero, with each?

I am extremely skeptical about it tracking better than an Athlon. As well as, maybe, but I'm not buying 'better than.' There are easily 30+ reviews with box and return to zero tests on snipershide of the athlons, almost all of them, and they are almost universally lauded.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Only a few years ago I bought my first Burris scope. I was extremely happy with the price and the scope itself. I had not used Burris scopes previously.

Burris and Steiner are the same company, so they definitely know how to make very good glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dirkjr10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2017
    Dallas
    For the first time in my life, I've been shooting longer ranges. 400-600 yards w/a 6.5 Grendel, 700-1000 yards with a Tika 308, and starting monday at least the same distance with a 6.5 creedmoor ar10.

I've never owned high dollar scopes before. I'm shooting the Tika with $170 Burris fullfield 4-14x... I was kind of ok with it, until I got behind a few other nice scopes, A viper PST, a NightForce 5-25 (iirc), a Kahles something, a Burris Xtr ii 4-20? I think... they were all simply amazing. Going back to my burris absolutely sucks.

So, for the first time ever I'm going to spend some real $$ on a scope. Or scopes.

I'm budgeting something under $2k for this.

Should I buy 1 badass, amazing optic, like a Nightforce or a Kahles, or should I buy 2 or even 3 really nice scopes, like a Xtr II, or Viper, etc.

I will ONLY buy used, unless I find AMAZING deals. I've bought lots of stuff off of snipershide, and trust the long-time members there who sell stuff, and there are alowasy good deals on used scopes there - and all of them have life time warranties... so no worries.

Thanks in advance for the input.... i'm off to bed. Have a GREAT WEEKEND!

I personally would buy 2-3 pretty good scopes because you are not going to want to have to keep resetting 0 when you move from one gun to another. Just buy once cry once and be set moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Republic2020

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2019
    Central Texas
    I've never owned an optic over $300. Personally I would never spend 2k for a scope. If it was me I'd try to find a nice adjustable 34-50 power, first focal plane, moa scope in the $400-$600 range & out fit each of the rifles.
    I own several vortex so I'm kind of partial but have been looking at Athlons in that price range along with the Vortex.

..just my .02

Yea I've had sig and vortex...although my sig romeo is a dual battery and solar...I love vortex

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    "don't put a $800 buck scope on a $6000 rifle". Scope companies LOVE to hear that.

Wish Dad was still alive: Dad would ask you why the hell do you need that crutch...errr scope? Dad shot a rack grade '03 Spr out to 1000 yd with iron sights and shot expert with it. I never owned a scope until a few years ago so I am quite late to the game. For that reason I have a slightly different view. After talking to a LOT of folks mostly hunters, several of them Big Game, international hunter that can afford $50k hunts and one that hunted Africa at least 6 times a year, easy when you have your own Gulfstream 650 to get you there.

Match your scope to the farthest distance you intend to shoot first and to the gun second.

Don't put a 1000 yd scope on a 300 yd gun.

Don't adapt a scope to your need, match the functionality to your expectations.

Make sure you are proficient with iron sights before you go spending money on a scope.

Scope for every gun is a good idea if you can afford it and if its a permanent application. When you swap guns and scopes it gonna require a fresh zero each time you move it. A permanent scope to gun, still needs a zero but you can cut you time to zero in half or less.

Unless you are shooting beyond a 1000yd you shooting is not dictated by your scope or your gun, it's you the shooter.

We had an old crusty Command Sgt Major. At that time the Army had an Order of Merit list for Cmd SgtMaj, he was ranked No 2 in the Army. He came out of the brown shoe Army, lived hard, drank hard, smoked hard. Seen him light up a Camel non-filter on about halfway thru a 10 mi run. Enough Silver Stars and combat medals to make his class A's sag.

We got to be good friends and he was a pool shark. Sometimes I would go with him and one of his "money runs". He had several pool halls he would hit from time to time and we would swing by one right after work on a Friday night and he would drop off an old worn broom. We would go eat some supper, sometimes catch a movie about 11pm go to that pool hall.

There he'd play some pool, win a game lose a game and drink, by midnight he had won most, lost a few and the crowd was starting to play for money. By about 1 am he had some marks set up, the stakes kept getting higher and he kept looking a bit drunker. Finally, his bravado which had drawn a good crowd and he would go in for the kill:

I can beat you azz with a damn broomstick as he dropped a wad of money on the table. The mark would look and the old SgtM would grab that broom, hold it up and say I will use this and beat you like a rented mule.

I'd seen him win over $10,000 before using that broom for a pool cue.

Every once in a while some guy would be looking for a fight after getting his wallet cleaned out by a guy with a broom. He say, ok, let me take off my shirt, don't want to get your blood on it! The shirt comes off and room gets quiet. He'd say, yea, the round ones are bullets from an AK 47, the long ones are knives from hand to hand...5 tours in Vietnam, Korea war, Airborne, Special Forces, Ranger, Infantry.

He taught me something when I asked how the hell can you win pool game with a broomstick. He had a pool table at home and practiced with it. But it was what he said that I have NEVER forgotten. What is important LT is to KNOW YOUR WEAPON! Don't care if you rifle shoots to the left 1 ft as long as that rifle shoot to the left 1 ft EVERY TIME...Consistency is what is important.

My dad used to say the same, but it never sunk in until that old SgtM showed me jus thow important it was. For that reason, iron sights let you bond with your rifle whereas you adjust the scope, not the gun...

Race

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2018
    Lipan TX
    Cabelas has the Nikon Black on sale for $200 off right now. You can get the 6x24x50 for $449. This is a great bang for the buck scope You can get the new model Black FX 1000 ffp for $599

Top Bottom