• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    This a well used .45 Colt Bisley Model made in 1914. This old girl has seen alot of action but never abused. The original owner really cared for this piece, shown by it has been polished and re-nickle plated a long time ago. The grips are original to the gun and show considerable hand ware. According to the previous owner it saw service during the border war with Mexico and Pancho Villa in 1915. There are Mexican ten Centavo coins set into the grips. The bore has minor wear and the function is correct and shoots great.... John
    A couple views with a black drape just for effect....
    DSC_0502-a.gif
    DSC_0505-a.gif
    P1010064.JPG
    P1010065.JPG
    P1010066.JPG
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• DSC_0502-a.gif
      DSC_0502-a.gif
      529 KB · Views: 607
    • DSC_0505-a.gif
      DSC_0505-a.gif
      537.6 KB · Views: 695
    • P1010064.JPG
      P1010064.JPG
      146.8 KB · Views: 725
    • P1010065.JPG
      P1010065.JPG
      176.1 KB · Views: 700
    • P1010066.JPG
      P1010066.JPG
      154.4 KB · Views: 562

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 18, 2015
    Very nice. I never get tired of seeing the pics and hearing the stories of some the pieces in your collection. Thanks.

I also think the difference in the original Colt Bisley grip and the modern interpretations/implementations of the Bisley grip are interesting. I've wanted, but never owned or fired, a SA revolver with a Bisley grip.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Very nice. I never get tired of seeing the pics and hearing the stories of some the pieces in your collection. Thanks.

I also think the difference in the original Colt Bisley grip and the modern interpretations/implementations of the Bisley grip are interesting. I've wanted, but never owned or fired, a SA revolver with a Bisley grip.
    If you get the opportunity. give it a try. Some people do not care for the Bisley because it is different feel and orientation then a SAA.
    Modern Bisley models have the same "forward" stance as originals but that is all. They can be tuned to be similar in function but Just do not compare to the original Colt design. It is a unique feel and function.
    The Bisley Model started in 1894 and continued in production until 1914. Names Bisley Model for competition in the famous English shooting matches in Bisley, England. The model had a small following in the US but the standard SAA was by far more in demand. During the entire production 20 year production period, only around 45,000 pieces were produced total in all calibers. Not an easily acquired gun in nice condition. Most were extensively used and used. John

bigwheel

Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Seem to recall some colorful old West character preferred Bisley but now forget who was it? Wanted to guess Bat Masterson but that probably ain’t it.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Seem to recall some colorful old West character preferred Bisley but now forget who was it? Wanted to guess Bat Masterson but that probably ain’t it.
    As far as famous Bisley owners, the only ones I know of is Audie Murphy carried one i a few of his Western Movies and were actually his property. Elmer Keith wrote about his Bisley and how the fit and function was exceptional. The actor Richard Farnsworth in the Movie "The Grey Ghost" portraying the train robber of the early 1900's. I am sure there are others. John

Top Bottom