• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I am starting to pickup a few old school DA/SA pistols. I had several friends years ago who owned some of the old Ruger P series pistols. I have always wanted to get one in 9mm and finally did. I did not know until recently that there were decocker only versions so I looked for one of those and picked this one up. The original grips were in bad shape so I got some nice grips from Uncle Mikes which are better than the original ones. These pistols have an aluminum alloy frame with a steel slide so they have a reasonable weight to them and have a nice all metal feel. If you are looking for a great DA/SA pistol at a reasonable price check out these pistols from Ruger.

By the way, replacement magazine, hammer, and recoil springs are available from Wolff Gunsprings. Before I buy any pistol I make sure I have reliable sources to get springs as they will eventually need to get replaced.

7afb27e2f9743d486ed1c7cef2e9ec20.jpg
    DK Firearms

Attachments

• 7afb27e2f9743d486ed1c7cef2e9ec20.jpg
      7afb27e2f9743d486ed1c7cef2e9ec20.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 1,093
    Last edited:

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    Calling the Ruger P Series "Old School" is just plain wrong. Now a Walther P38 or Remington Rand 1911 or Ortgies or Savage 1907 might be "Old School". But the Wonder 9s are barely old enough to be considered adults.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Calling the Ruger P Series "Old School" is just plain wrong. Now a Walther P38 or Remington Rand 1911 or Ortgies or Savage 1907 might be "Old School". But the Wonder 9s are barely old enough to be considered adults.

Pfffft!
    B02C1607-F97C-463F-9AD2-746F2210B044.jpeg

Attachments

• B02C1607-F97C-463F-9AD2-746F2210B044.jpeg
      B02C1607-F97C-463F-9AD2-746F2210B044.jpeg
      843.6 KB · Views: 779

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm not a weakling, and I am not a little guy. But my Ruger P whatever in 40 had springs so strong it was hard to rack the slide. The most effort I've ever spent pulling a SA slide. It was a nice shooter.

I bought it from an old guy who had trouble clambering a round. At some point I grew tired of it too and sold it. The safety on the back of the slide compounded the effect. To this day I've not bought another pistol with the safety on the back of the slide.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The “P” Series from Ruger are 34 years old now.

While not “war era old” they have been around longer than some of the members here. In 1985 if I wanted one I would have to bought it in a private sale.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I knew a handful of guys that had them and always praised them. I just couldn’t warm up to those P-series.

Now Ruger revolvers and MK-22s, that’s another thing!

pbratton

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I am starting to pickup a few old school DA/SA pistols. I had several friends years ago who owned some of the old Ruger P series pistols. I have always wanted to get one in 9mm and finally did. I did not know until recently that there were decocker only versions so I looked for one of those and picked this one up. The original grips were in bad shape so I got some nice grips from Uncle Mikes which are better than the original ones. These pistols have an aluminum alloy frame with a steel slide so they have a reasonable weight to them and have a nice all metal feel. If you are looking for a great DA/SA pistol at a reasonable price check out these pistols from Ruger.

By the way, replacement magazine, hammer, and recoil springs are available from Wolff Gunsprings. Before I buy any pistol I make sure I have reliable sources to get springs as they will eventually need to get replaced.

View attachment 172215

Yup. I have a P90. Wish I still had the matching carbine...

jbayless71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    San Antonio
    The P89 was also the first pistol I purchased new back when I was in college. Never did like that thing ... mediocre/bad trigger, slightly more ergonomic than a Stallard. It was relatively inexpensive and very reliable, though. I had the regular decocker/safety model. They were very new then and there were no easy ways to improve the trigger.

I think I saved up and traded that one in for an HK USP .40.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Knew a coworker that bought a P89 new, Qualified with it. Put it in his holster. 10 years he qualified every year without issue. Not cleaned even once. Retired, cleaned it up and got good money for it from another officer. That thing will serve you well. I thought he was nuts.

Top Bottom