• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mother-in-law in sprang a big cook on me for the holiday. My pellet been on the fritz. Their pellet ain’t big enough.

So I went cheaper route with an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn offset. I don’t have $3000 to plunk down on the Yoder offset I want..

So far I think I’m in love with offset real wood fire BBQ! Haven’t cooked yet… just seasoning. She’s pretty steady. Looking forward to the 2 briskets, 2 beef ribs, 2 St. Louis and some sausage. TBD

IMG_3585.jpeg
    IMG_3584.jpeg
    IMG_3583.jpeg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The only thing I can add you already know. Temp at the grate needs to be as stable as possible; ignore the lid thermometer and use a probe off the thermopro for that.

Best way to keep the temp stable is to keep the lid shut but with multiple cuts, that’s not possible. Once the brisket gets past the stall, I’d drop the ribs and five hours later I’d drop the sausage.

I’d likely hope for the brisket to come off with an hour left on the ribs and then maybe add 50* at the grate to finish the ribs, but that’s technique.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Tend the fire and dampers.
    Leave the meat alone.
    You'll do fine.
    ^^^^^This right here is the best advice you will ever get for wood smoke cooking.
    Even on a barrel smoker or one I had that was 3' round and 4' tall, The heat was not directly under the meat. And all I did was keep the heat and smoke where I wanted them. Tender and juicy every time.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only thing I can add you already know. Temp at the grate needs to be as stable as possible; ignore the lid thermometer and use a probe off the thermopro for that.

Best way to keep the temp stable is to keep the lid shut but with multiple cuts, that’s not possible. Once the brisket gets past the stall, I’d drop the ribs and five hours later I’d drop the sausage.

I’d likely hope for the brisket to come off with an hour left on the ribs and then maybe add 50* at the grate to finish the ribs, but that’s technique.
    Thanks, man! It's definitely a bottleneck effect. Just gotta time it all right. Hopefully I can pull it off between all the family, chaos, cold beer and lack of sleep.

Yeah, I was measuring at the grate yesterday while seasoning. I think I'm going to do one more trial run this afternoon just to get a better feel for the smoker. Besides... who doesn't like the smell of smoked wood wafting through the air:)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    triggermike11
    Top Bottom