• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So every once in a while we have a thread about a member bringing their younger child to the range. Pictures get posted, a few comments are made, and the thread fades off into oblivion.

Consider this the official thread to post pictures of your kiddos at the range or in the field/ stand, ideas for targets beyond the normal paper punching, and ranges that are very welcoming to having your kids on the line.

We all know they are our future and hopefully his thread can help push people to get their kids on the firing line more often.

For basic ground rules here, let's say 18 and younger, positive pictures and stories with any kind of firearm, and in any shooting sport. Hunting, target shooting, plinking, competition, whatever. If you think it fits then post it up and comment away.

If you want shooting advise, mentors, specific range or hunting rules regarding children, gun safety specifics, or negative news stories please start a different thread. While important also, some of those topics will overrun the intent of this thread.

Let's see what you got!
    Gun Zone Deals

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My 11 year old daughter went to the range with me last Saturday. The weather was mid 40s all day.

I had planned to test some ammo and a few new rifles. She happened to ask about shooting a few days before so I brought her along.

She will spend all day with a Savage single shot bolt action 22 loaded with 22 Short ammo. That is her go to rifle.

I did manage to get her to try my AR15 and she enjoyed that. She put her first shot just a hair off the bullseye.

She powered through the weather but did have to take a few breaks to warm up her hands. It was a chilly day out there.

I definitely need to make range days with her a bigger priority.

659053efc1c5f0a1fb7219eebeee49df.jpg
    29ae9b2c47b71aa74da8a831f0c911e2.jpg

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I do not have children (well any that I know of) but I am posting to applaud those parents that take the time to teach their children how to shoot. I can tell you, without a doubt, you are having a positive affect on that child's life. One of the few things that my adopted father ever did with me was teach me how to shoot shotguns and clean them at a very early age. When I was seven years old he won a Winchester 9422 lever action rifle that came from the factory with a Simmons scope and rail with it. I still have that pristine rifle and scope today and it still is extremely accurate.

Raising children is not an easy task but one of the most rewarding things you can do is share your hobbies with them in the hopes that they too will enjoy shooting. Although my father and I don't see each other much anymore I have in return taught countless people how to shoot. At a minimum I have taken people with me to let them shoot my gear to hopefully ease their fears over media hyped firearms so that they may buy and shoot them for themselves or possibly with their children.

A big "thank you" to those how take those kids out there and teach them!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The two grandkids have a Cricket Rifle and a Crack-Shot Rifle.

When they are old enough to shoot them, they will have an ample supply of ammo.

That's what we do. My Pappy always had plenty of ammo for me to shoot.

But he made made me make every shot count.

Teach them young 'uns!

Be well.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Not really a range trip, but did some group therapy in the backyard with my 9 and 7 year old daughters.

26e3fd589ace1371a37fbe3fdea73259.jpg

Roughly 10 yards with a pink Daisy Red Rider.

9 year old did fairly well, but the 7 year old struggled with her short arms.

Enforced strict gun safety and everyone had eye protection on.

Sent from a B-52 over Russia

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    These are from April at a Scholastic Steel State competition in Dripping Springs.
    We need to get back out there and to some matches at Area 59. Our team is disbanded and our coach is out of the country right now. It was hard for the eldest to commit to weekly practices once college classes started requiring him to increase his time on academics. (Also, paying the amount of money I did for a coach to spend a couple of hours each week to do practices was a big investment but after a while it gets too much when you have lots else to spend on. Worth it, but for now that time is passed to invest those bucks. No one in my family has the level of skill to teach someone to shoot beyond basic instruction. It's a very fine tune thing. Like many details of shooting that an experienced eye needs to guide them on, and troubleshoot.)

But for local matches? We will get back out there.

Eldest, 16. (using a still shot from the video let me get the muzzle smoke lol)
    6FD1176B-6911-4720-A0E2-D74F4B83FF02_zpszl1c8g39.png

Last edited:

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Great pics! Wish I could get my daughter to the range. She went once but wants no part of it now at 16. I know she'll change her mind one day. Hopefully I'll live to see it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Had my youngest out shooting again today. She was excited to get on the AR and took her first 100 yard shot.

Love having range time with her. My older two are just so busy with school and sports that range time is hard to come by but all I can do is keep trying.

e7b1b0285594f896349066c9e55f6afd.jpg

Top Bottom