• ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Negligent Homicide Law and Legal Definition:
    Negligent homicide is the killing of another person through gross negligence or without malice.

If the results of the investigation are true, that pretty much fits the definition, methinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Spent 40 years giving meds........of course it wasn't listed under Versed...it would be listed under midazolam the generic name (and why she didn't find it, imho).....No excuse for the error. The fact they are charging her leads me to believe she had a history of med errors....

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    As per usual, there are lots of people trying to shift the blame. The computer systems being blamed. Nurse working hours are being blamed. Stress is being blamed.

Even if you can blame those things for her choosing the wrong medicine, she has no excuse for not actually monitoring the patient.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Spent 40 years giving meds........of course it wasn't listed under Versed...it would be listed under midazolam the generic name (and why she didn't find it, imho).....No excuse for the error. The fact they are charging her leads me to believe she had a history of med errors....
    I have my preference set to brand names. So I pull versed. Maybe she did the same.

I don't know the system she was using but, I'm speculating here, if the md forgot/didn't order the med in the computer it might not even show up because pharmacy didn't have the order so they didn't make it populate in the med list. So she then chose the override list which gave her a list of every med in the machine.

In my home dept I have access to every med in the machine without need for the md to put an order in the pc. In other depts I can only see the md has ordered and pharmacy has released to be available.

Another article I read stated she has no right ups or complaints in her file.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    As per usual, there are lots of people trying to shift the blame. The computer systems being blamed. Nurse working hours are being blamed. Stress is being blamed.

Even if you can blame those things for her choosing the wrong medicine, she has no excuse for not actually monitoring the patient.
    It can be easy for a med error to happen. Many factors can contribute. I've almost given the wrong med because pharmacy thought it was a good idea to have two different meds in the same bin in the drawer. The meds were in the same size vials with almost identical labeling. One drug was blue lettering on white background. The other med was white lettering on blue background. It is the nurses responsibility to verify every med they give but that situation is just begging for a human error mistake to occur. Especially in an emergent situation when you are use to getting x drug out of y drawer you may just glance at the label as you're drawing up the med. But you are correct. It is ultimately her fault. In this case since she was giving conscious sedation. the pt should have their v/s monitored though out the test. That's what stands out to me.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    What's the annual death toll while in the hospital in the U.S. due to medical error?

I think it exceeds annual deaths by car crash and gun shots combined.

Am I criticizing?

Absolutely!

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    TX OMFS,

OK, but I've read and now no longer trust (given your post in this regard) a number in the range of two hundred thousand deaths annually...to be sure I no longer trust that number - perhaps more....or far less.....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    What's the annual death toll while in the hospital in the U.S. due to medical error?

I think it exceeds annual deaths by car crash and gun shots combined.

A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000. Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

https://qualitysafety.bmj.com/content/26/5/423

Top Bottom