• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Some days I don't feel like spending a lot of time cooking. I have tried steaks in my Ninja Air Fryer and they are pretty decent. Med Rare only takes 7 mins without flipping at 390 degrees. I cooked a couple of nice Pork Chops in it last night at about 8 mins at 390. I also microwaved some HEB Super Sweet Corn and Brussel Sprouts in Sauce. I love the Steamable veggies from HEB. Dinner was ready in 12 minutes and the pork chops were great. only had 2 bowls and the Air Fryer Pot to clean up with 2 forks. If it's just us we use paper plates w/ holders. I buy the giant economy heavy duty paper plates from Sams
    Hurley's Gold

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    The air fryer still uses oil to "fry" the food, correct?

I don't have one, but this is my understanding.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    The air fryer still uses oil to "fry" the food, correct?

I don't have one, but this is my understanding.

Just air, although I think there are things the cookbook (who reads those?) recommends coating with oil. Steaks can be cooked from frozen too.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    So if you don't mind, school me on how this works. If it just uses hot air, and you're cooking things at 390°, how is that different than an oven or toaster oven or bbq grill heated to the same 390°?

And does the air fryer taste any different than cooking it in the oven?

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    So if you don't mind, school me on how this works. If it just uses hot air, and you're cooking things at 390°, how is that different than an oven or toaster oven or bbq grill heated to the same 390°?

And does the air fryer taste any different than cooking it in the oven?

They cook pretty fast, I think much faster than a toaster oven, and the air circulation helps cook evenly. That said, you do need to stop and turn foods if you want even browning.

There is no difference in taste fron a regular oven.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I use mine and it makes killer tots, you couldn't tell them from deep fat fried. I also have a recipe for breaded chicken breast. After the chicken is breaded I spray it with avocado oil so the flour and breading doesnt get dry.

Cleanup is a snap and it cooks fairly quick.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Favorite air fryer foods I’ve found thus far:

- Anything frozen with crust or breading, including frozen biscuits, bread sticks, etc,

- tater tots, onion rings, fries

- chicken wings

- Black bean, other veggie burger patties

- grilled sandwiches

- sausage links, patties.

Again, not really different than an oven, just faster and fits on the counter...

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I have used mine for Chicken wings and sweet potato fries. They cooked up nice and crispy . easy cleanup .
    I tried a frozen hamburger that did not turn out so well. Had an odd taste.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Thanks for the report. We been thinking of getting one but Mama thinks it would be too big. Similar to a honeymoon thing. We have a small kitchen without much storage area.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Wife uses an air fryer quite a bit. I’m not sure what brand but we have had a Ninja slow cooker for about 5 years that’s the bomb for slow cooking but also has the stove top setting for browning meat. I got a buddy that cooks biscuits in his Ninja slow cooker. That’s a good item in our opinion.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Thanks for the report. We been thinking of getting one but Mama thinks it would be too big. Similar to a honeymoon thing. We have a small kitchen without much storage area.

I hear ya...we forego a toaster and toaster oven of room of your air fryer. I'd pitch the microwave in a second if I had to choose between the air fryer and the neutron box.

Only thing I like these days above our air fryer is my coffee maker.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Ok sounds like she is right as usual. We got a little George Foreman Clone grill that can cook most anything and fits neatly on top of the ice box. Thanks

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    We have an air fryer as well; not sure what brand, but I bought it for the wife at Christmas based on a recommendation from my Mom. The thing kicks ass! You can cook food much quicker and more importantly healthier than frying it in a pan.

So far everything we've done in it, from pizzas to dried fruit, has come out delicious.

About the only downside there may be is the smaller size, which is also beneficial as that means it uses less electricity, cooks faster and restricts the amount of food you can cook, so it's almost a portion control mechanism.

It does take up a fair amount of counter space as well, but we have a large kitchen so it's not an issue for us. Considering we had a bread maker that may have been used a half dozen times over the ten years we had it, the air fryer is so handy that it's worth finding space for it!

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    We use an air fryer for pretty much anything you might throw in a normal fryer or the oven and it's great. But I've never thought about cooking a steak or hamburger in one.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My wife loves ours. Worth making counter space for.

She uses a little oil spray on some foods but that's about it.

The food tastes great and comes out much lighter than frying.

Only down side is the size. Cooking any large quantity take multiple runs (same as our fryer).

It does sound like a jet engine too.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    My wife loves ours. Worth making counter space for.

She uses a little oil spray on some foods but that's about it.

The food tastes great and comes out much lighter than frying.

Only down side is the size. Cooking any large quantity take multiple runs (same as our fryer).

It does sound like a jet engine too.

For me, I’m not much of a microwave oven guy. Other than liquids, nothing really comes out good. Since I have.

Range top, I’d pitch our microwave in a second over the air fryer. I can heat soup or swew in a small pan fine, but if I want to cook frozen taters, broil meats, heat leftovers, or roast fresh veggies, the air fryer beats that microwave hands down.

Really, it’s like any kitchen tool. Depends on what you cook and how you eat to determine if it’s for you or not.

The air fryer won’t do anything my main oven won’t do, it just does it faster, on a smaller scale, and with a lot less electricity and heat generated in the house.

Top Bottom