• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    I saw the sticky for the DFW gun ranges but info was limited to say the least, at least on the mobile site.

I have a new SBR and suppressor that I want to go shoot but don't know which ranges (preferably outdoor) that allow NFA weapons.

I was thinking Elm Fork is/was since they hosted the silencer shoot but I didn't know if that was an exception for them.

Sent from iPhone/Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Yep. I can take a guest for free of you want to check it out. Or you can call Len and get the tour.

I don't know where you live, but I've meet guys from Plano and North Dallas that come down just to shoot their ARs. You won't have some cranky old RO telling you that rapid fire is not allowed. You can go full auto if you have it.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Quail Creek Range in Argyle. Contact Chris Rainey of Proactive Defense Professional Firearms Training-Concealed Handgun-CHL Classes-Gun Safety-Target Shooting-Pistol, Rifle & Shotgun Marksmanship, Argyle, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Highland Village, Denton County Texas

His part of the range is private, members only but he's a superb guy. Tell him I sent you. Well worth a look.

The public portion of quail creek is not NFA friendly last I checked.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I've shot NFA stuff at DFW Gun Range off Mockingbird Ln. and I-35 (they let you shoot full-auto and rent MG's as well) in Dallas (indoors) and at Elm Fork off Luna Rd. and NW Highway (outdoors). Bullseye in Duncanville will also let you shoot NFA items as long as they're not magnum or rifle rounds.

Maverick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Fort Worth
    +1 on Quail Creek's private range. The public range is horrible IMO, but I hate most public ranges. The private range IS NOT for members only. You can use it just to use it for $20/hr if there isn't anything going on. I would talk with whomever is running the range up there are make friends. I go up there to test out some gear and weapons etc from time to time and they just give me one of the ranges to myself and let me do my own thing. I've never had any issues up there at all. The setup is a large empty space with various types of targets. There are multiple barriers etc that you can move around as well if you'd like to set them up.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    +1 on Quail Creek's private range. The public range is horrible IMO, but I hate most public ranges. The private range IS NOT for members only. You can use it just to use it for $20/hr if there isn't anything going on. I would talk with whomever is running the range up there are make friends. I go up there to test out some gear and weapons etc from time to time and they just give me one of the ranges to myself and let me do my own thing. I've never had any issues up there at all. The setup is a large empty space with various types of targets. There are multiple barriers etc that you can move around as well if you'd like to set them up.

What's so bad about Quail Creek's public range?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maverick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Fort Worth
    What's so bad about Quail Creek's public range?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The overall condition of the range has a lot to be desired. As far as public ranges where you are required to shoot from the bench/table etc, there are multiple ranges that are in much better condition and have more options in regards to range and type of targets (i.e. steel, pop up etc). It really all depends on what you're wanting to do at the range though. If all you're looking to do is shoot a piece of paper and work on slow and accurate shots, then you'd probably be satisfied. I personally like the ability to practice drawing my pistol, shooting on the move, and I don't like being restricted to one shot per second. I understand I won't be able to do most of the things that I'd like at a public range though.

Maverick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Fort Worth
    If you're looking for a public range to go shooting at, I would suggest Elm Fork Shooting Sports. Elm Fork Shooting Sports I'm not sure if they are NFA friendly or not, however I do know that they have a few "restricted" ranges for various types of shooters. They have quite a few options though and you're not just restricted to shooting paper. I have only been there a few times, but my time there has always been pleasant.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    If you're looking for a public range to go shooting at, I would suggest Elm Fork Shooting Sports. Elm Fork Shooting Sports I'm not sure if they are NFA friendly or not, however I do know that they have a few "restricted" ranges for various types of shooters. They have quite a few options though and you're not just restricted to shooting paper. I have only been there a few times, but my time there has always been pleasant.

That's probably where I am going to go. I went there for the silencer shoot and it looked like a nice range.

Do they allow FMJ ammo? Seems like more and more ranges do not allow FMJ ammo. I did call and ask and they are NFA friendly but forgot to ask about FMJ.

Maverick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Fort Worth
    That's probably where I am going to go. I went there for the silencer shoot and it looked like a nice range.

Do they allow FMJ ammo? Seems like more and more ranges do not allow FMJ ammo. I did call and ask and they are NFA friendly but forgot to ask about FMJ.

I honestly have no idea about FMJ.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Elm fork dont allow FMJ on 100 yards, although they do allow on 50 yards. I was disappointed/angry when an RO changed my ammo from FMJ to HP (which I had) when I was changing target "without my permission" Told him not to touch my range bag when I am not around.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Elm fork dont allow FMJ on 100 yards, although they do allow on 50 yards. I was disappointed/angry when an RO changed my ammo from FMJ to HP (which I had) when I was changing target "without my permission" Told him not to touch my range bag when I am not around.

WOW! That is not cool.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    it any range that doesn't allow FMJ, this pretty much means Gibson's is the only distance range I can go to without having to become a member or take a test to shoot at a longer range. Targetmasters is the only indoor range I visit and they do allow suppressors as well.

Top Bottom