• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooker8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Killeen area
    Also as mentioned above to really get an m1a accurate you need to bed it. When you bed the system every time you remove it from the stock accuracy degrades. Also removing your scope to clean the rifle sucks. That is why a lot of the precision guys running an m1a do not clean their rifle mid season unless they have to. The rifle is a nice rifle and I love how it feels, but there is more accurate and lighter for the same price when you compare $1500 and up AR10s to the m1a.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I'm lost. This gun is less accurate than the AR10 equivalent?

View attachment 160501

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-loaded-6-5-creedmoor/

And the AR10 that can outshoot this can be had for less than this?

https://grabagun.com/springfield-mp9820c65-m1a-semi-auto.html

And comes with all this now?

https://www.springfield-armory.com/m1agearup/

Yes. An AR-10 will outshoot that for the same price and won’t shoot itself loose, plus you can service AR-10’s without losing your zero. Nor do I need a wrench to field strip and clean it. M14/M1A are fine rifles but they are out classed by Stoners design in every way. Hell outside of the m2 sub machine gun I think the m14 is the shortest life service rifle that was built by committee in the death throes of the ordnance depart creating small arms.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Frankly, I feel the AR-10 outclasses the M1A in just about every aspect. It's lighter, cheaper, more accurate, far more customizable, and will generally be better suited to most uses. That's not to say the M1A isn't a fine gun. Lord knows I want one, if only for the cool factor.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Maverick,

As an OF, I'd prefer a National Match M1 or a Remington 700 in 7.62 NATO to either one & "set up" by an AMU armorer.
    (When I retired, our Mike Papa hostage rescue folks used those rifles & they just cannot miss, as innocent lives depend on their accuracy at every shot.)

yours, tex

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Maverick,

As an OF, I'd prefer a National Match M1 or a Remington 700 in 7.62 NATO to either one & "set up" by an AMU armorer.
    (When I retired, our Mike Papa hostage rescue folks used those rifles & they just cannot miss, as innocent lives depend on their accuracy at every shot.)

yours, tex

They used these rifles because there wasn't anything else available in the system. Not because they were the best solution available. I'm assuming this was before the knights SR25 was available.

They probably also had the support of professional armorers to service those M14s when they got loose.

Don't get me wrong. I want an M14. But it's for nostalgia. Like my G3 and FAL

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    They used these rifles because there wasn't anything else available in the system. Not because they were the best solution available. I'm assuming this was before the knights SR25 was available.

They probably also had the support of professional armorers to service those M14s when they got loose.

Don't get me wrong. I want an M14. But it's for nostalgia. Like my G3 and FAL

SC-Texas,

ACTUALLY, for the few rifles that were needed, we could have bought them "off the system", using 00-15 funds.
    (I suspect that that's how the Remington BA rifles were purchased.)

Also NOT M14 rifles but M1 GARAND rifles. And YES whatever was bought/used, the AMU supports the Hostage Rescue "Selected Marksmen".

yours,satx

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    SC-Texas,

ACTUALLY, for the few rifles that were needed, we could have bought them "off the system", using 00-15 funds.
    (I suspect that that's how the Remington BA rifles were purchased.)

Also NOT M14 rifles but M1 GARAND rifles. And YES whatever was bought/used, the AMU supports the Hostage Rescue "Selected Marksmen".

yours,satx
    What agency was that and what was the time period?

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Long time ago SC-Tex

From someone who got out more recently unlimited money people are not pulling M1A’s/M14’s or anything based on that out of the armory. They are grabbing Knights or something else custom off the AR platform and Marines are using hand built bolt guns or SR25’s / M110.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    I really like my M1A. It is great when used with a bench rest of some kind. But, I wouldn't want to carry very far when hunting. I will keep it and use one of my other guns for hunting.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Long time ago SC-Tex

From someone who got out more recently unlimited money people are not pulling M1A’s/M14’s or anything based on that out of the armory. They are grabbing Knights or something else custom off the AR platform and Marines are using hand built bolt guns or SR25’s / M110.
    That's my understanding also.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Tbhawk,

IF I had my choice it would be a Garand converted to 7.62x51, to use M14 mags & with NO other change. = BM 59 mags are $$$$$$$ & harder to find.
    (BMB offered to convert every Garand in the US inventory to that configuration for 18.oo each, btw.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    AR10 might be superior, but if I had to choose just one (not for some BS hypothetical war fighting situation I’ll never find myself in, just for funsies) id probably go M1A.

Of course if other options were available, FAL and/or G3 before either AR10 or M1A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eli

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Tbhawk,

IF I had my choice it would be a Garand converted to 7.62x51, to use M14 mags & with NO other change. = BM 59 mags are $$$$$$$ & harder to find.
    (BMB offered to convert every Garand in the US inventory to that configuration for 18.oo each, btw.)

yours, satx
    How would that be different than a M1A?

Besides being twice the price what am I missing?

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I do miss my Socoms. They were lightweight and easy to ring steel with at 200 yds. Anyone could, and did.

They did their job, netting me some necessary funds.

I'm still looking at the M17S in 308, to match mine in 556.
    But I'm covered by my full size m1a and my Bush(built before the bans)rifle. With an 18" barrel it's pretty easy to swing onto a target as well.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I had a SA M1 Supermatch I purchased back in the 90s. Traded it on AR 15s. :eek:

Now I have a AR 10 in .308, Federal.338 Upper, and now a 6.5 Creedmore Upper. Maybe soon a .260. I looked at the LaRue in that caliber it looked promising.

Last edited:

Tamlibtoim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2016
    Texas (Bay Area)
    If you’re still looking, check out the Barrett REC10. I recently purchased a loaded M1A and was underwhelmed with the overall “shoot ability” it was not fun for me.
    I’m probably going to keep it just because it’s an M1A but I really wanted a .308/7.62 to shoot. The Barrett looks like it will fill the bill.

Top Bottom