• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    According to the "Discounts for Veterans" thread...yes it does as some places want to see a VA ID. The card is free in any case so it can't hurt.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    This is good stuff. My dad, a Nam vet, has been asked several times for proof of service over the years and this would have solved that.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I still don't see much use for the card if you have a VA card, a drivers license with "veteran" on it and a LTC with "Veteran". If you don't have any of those 3 then it might serve a purpose. If a company wants some special paperwork to see if I'm a vet and my VA or drivers license card won't suffice then I'll pay full price and not waste time returning. I figure at that point bureaucracy is taken over and isn't worth it anymore. I don't even ask for a discount most of the time unless I'm buying something expensive.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Some states dont have a veteran mark on their DL or license to carry so it would be good for people who live there. I might get one

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    All the places off base that needs to see military ID for discounts. Have no problem taking my VA ID. Lowe's, Home Depot, restaurants, etc. Some refused the veteran marked Texas drivers license(home depot). The green military card lets you shop at the PX and that's about it. Nothing extra comes with it besides PX privileges. Same discounts. The standard 10% and free food on veterans day.

The only time I need more then the VA ID is Wal-Mart. Getting a hunting licence. They require seeing a page of paper that says the rating %.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    All the places off base that needs to see military ID for discounts. Have no problem taking my VA ID. Lowe's, Home Depot, restaurants, etc. Some refused the veteran marked Texas drivers license(home depot). The green military card lets you shop at the PX and that's about it. Nothing extra comes with it besides PX privileges. Same discounts. The standard 10% and free food on veterans day.

The only time I need more then the VA ID is Wal-Mart. Getting a hunting licence. They require seeing a page of paper that says the rating %.

But is the VA ID a "military ID?" The answer is no, it is not as the US Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense are two different entities.

However, it all boils down to whether the discount is being offered to all vets, or only active duty, Guard/Reserves and/or retirees. Most advertise a "military discount," which means the latter groups and not everyone who has ever served, which is why a military ID is required.

I have seen employees at stores extend their military discounts to vets, but that may not always be the case. Knowing what the discount entails and who it apply to are probably the best steps in preventing any confusion...

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I know that the Lowes and Home Depot in Denton accept the veteran mark on our drivers license for their discount. Same with cabelas in fort worth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    But is the VA ID a "military ID?" The answer is no, it is not as the US Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense are two different entities.

However, it all boils down to whether the discount is being offered to all vets, or only active duty, Guard/Reserves and/or retirees. Most advertise a "military discount," which means the latter groups and not everyone who has ever served, which is why a military ID is required.

I have seen employees at stores extend their military discounts to vets, but that may not always be the case. Knowing what the discount entails and who it apply to are probably the best steps in preventing any confusion...

I've never seen anywhere that offered discounts only to active duty while not allowing all the other faucets of service being not eligible.

It Damn sure doesn't happen around here. Military service is service. No confusion about the discounts because it's on the receipt.

Never heard about only active duty being thanked with a discount while all other vets are stuck out.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The last time I used my military ID at Home Depot, the cashier was adamant that I needed either an active duty ID, or retired from active duty ID. It's been a while, so maybe it has changed.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I've never seen anywhere that offered discounts only to active duty while not allowing all the other faucets of service being not eligible.

It Damn sure doesn't happen around here. Military service is service. No confusion about the discounts because it's on the receipt.

Never heard about only active duty being thanked with a discount while all other vets are stuck out.

Ive been to many places that did not offer military discounts to "just" veterans. In fact, Home Depot technically only offers theirs to "all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families" (source: https://themilitarywallet.com/home-depot-lowes-10-military-discount/).

While some employees may not be fully aware of the policy and will offer the discount to "any" veteran, it may not be extended to everyone who served. If you read the comments into the above link, there are accounts of people not getting a discount even with the veteran designation on their drivers license.

Again, at some places it's a military discount, not a veteran one. How it is applied is up to the business. No one has the right to "demand" a discount for their service if it violates the company's policy.

Top Bottom