• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    i am a johnny come lately to this party so have some dumb questions. am moving in a few months to a place on 10 acres where there is a small, new private range but still close enough to bother the neighbors so don't want to raise any red flags with the noise. plus my hearing is shot from enjoying the sound of gunfire in the morning for years.
    buddys son uses a LGS in san antonio for all his silencer shopping and told me to call em. i have used this place before for repairs and they are high as hell. he says its not worth the hassle to do everything himself and lets them handle everything. course he has deep pockets. is the paperwork really that bad? anyway, i am wondering if buying a silenced gun or having on already owned threaded etc is the way to go. thanks
    DK Firearms

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    haha. no. i am going to buy a silencer, am asking the easiest route to go, from your experience. the decision to buy one is made unless its just not feasible. but i don't think thats the case at all.

randomthought

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    A trust can be set up to include instructions on what to do and who gets what in case of your death, i dont think the cheap trusts have that option but to each their own. As far as price shop around some shops will do a layaway while you re waiting for the stamp.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    You may consider SilencerShop in Austin. They have the Singleshot trusts and make the process fairly simple...upside is you can choose a local dealer with an affiliation to them and have it transferred there with no FFL transfer fee. I have been moving to the Singleshot trusts as it allows me to keep each item separate for future distribution to beneficiaries upon my demise. Downside is having to keep more paperwork around...

Just providing options to think about.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    You have to specify a beneficiary. It also has provisions for a trustee that has rights to possess and use the item but not administrative control...more of a lesser trustee. I forget the actual term. I will have to go back and get the terms used...but the paperwork outlining the trust is lengthy and has provisions for many situations such as death, kids until they are of age, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Did both of mine in Austin at SS. Up by 183 and Lakeline area. Picked the trust and paid the money and waited. Then they finally came in. Not difficult at all other than the waiting each time.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    A selling point to the singleshot trust is that you don’t have to specify the beneficiary when you set up the trust thus they don’t have to submit fingerprints/photo. The term I was looking for is supporting trustee...

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    at the SS they recommended this also if i am buying less than 5 silencers. people have more than 5??
    which trust gives more leeway to the trustee as far as possession etc?

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Depends on what you are doing and want. I have one for my .22's and another for my 9mm and .45 acp pistols/carbine. I don't have any for my high power rifles as they are still pretty loud even with a silencer. Anything subsonic is fairly quiet. My .22 bolt gun is very very quiet.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    want one for a 308 and one for 45acp. i'm assuming i can load subsonic for both. you say the rifles are loud still. at which end? firing line or downrange.

Last edited:

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    In case anyone cares, one can transfer an NFA item upon death to an heir with NO tax without a trust.

Just fill in ATF E-Form 5 “Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm”.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    I'd recommend Capital Armory also in Austin. Nice guys and customer service, they also make the whole process a breeze.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Depends on what you are doing and want. I have one for my .22's and another for my 9mm and .45 acp pistols/carbine. I don't have any for my high power rifles as they are still pretty loud even with a silencer. Anything subsonic is fairly quiet. My .22 bolt gun is very very quiet.
    You are aware I hope that one silencer can work for 9mm & .45.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom