• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I bought my wife a NEF-distributed, Chinese-made clone of the 870 for a home defense gun. She told me that she wanted something for that, and I had to decide what I'd get her. This is it. It'll be a surprise.

The shotgun already holds 5+1, which if you do things right is about 4 rounds more than you should need on a bad day, so no need for a mag extension. Barrel is already 18.5 inches, so I can't legally shorten it any meaningful amount (no, I'm not going to SBS my wife's HD shotgun.. maybe mine).

What I'm not impressed with for a home defense shotgun is the stock, especially the shape of the butt pad. If you look up pictures of the shotgun online (the NEF Pardner Defender), you'll notice that the toe of the pad curves back and ends in a point. While OK for a field gun, it's not ideal at all on a home defense gun. Between that and worries that the Mrs. won't appreciate the recoil of 12 gauge buckshot and my thought that a pistol grip would make controlling the weapon easier on her, I've ordered her (and me for when I get one of these) a Knoxx Spec Ops stock. As I noted in my review thread, this thing will take 870 stocks, so that makes it easy. Recoil-absorbing, adjustable length of pull and a pistol grip? Fits the bill perfectly.

One of the other things that I've tried since getting outside my shotgun comfort zone (meaning hunting shotguns) is the HiViz front sight. I'd seen 'em, I knew what they were for, but never saw a point since I was hunting, and that was only legal from sun-up to sun-down where I lived. A light-gathering shotgun bead would have done me little good. But I can see the utility of it on a home defense weapon, so on it goes. Cost-wise it's going to be better than a red dot, and I'm not happy with the extra time it's going to take to turn a red dot on in the middle of the night. If I had my druthers, I'd put an XS sight on it and have something that would work all the time, but that would put my total build at triple the cost of the gun. Again, maybe on mine. (I've got an XS big dot set on my P220 and love it. I have trouble imagining a faster sight system.)

The name of this game is economical and practical. I'd been thinking about a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, and had been prepared for the price of one of those, so even with these upgrades, I'm still at what I thought I'd be paying originally and am sure I'm going to wind up with a much more practical tool.

Most of the parts are inbound, when they get here I'll install them and hit the range with a few different loads. Can't wait to see what she thinks, but she's not a gun person so I'm probably building a masterpiece for someone who won't truly appreciate it... which is why I'm using it for practice to build one for me!

More to come as I go.
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    HiViz snap-on sight is here and installed. I tried both the red and green light pipes, and the green just stands out so much better, jumps right out at your eye. The snap-on version is simple to install. It has a plastic base (we'll see how that stand up to 6 rounds of rapid-fired 12 gauge) that has a little notch in the front so you can center it on the bead. The plastic base is a very tight fit. Only odd thing is that it seemed to be able to twist a little bit (but took a lot of force) so I had to kind of "zero" it by eye. Point of impact should be slightly adjustable by twisting the rear of the sight back and forth slightly.

The stock should be here on Tuesday!

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    If you ever consider a different sight system for your Shotgun please look into the ghost ring sight system. I installed this on my Mossy 500 and it is outstanding IMO.

Best
    J

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd considered a ghost ring setup, but honestly at home defense ranges (I can't see it needing to be used at more than 20 feet), a front bead is probably more than what's needed. This is as effective IMO, simpler for me to teach the wife to use (cheek on stock, bead on target, fire) and quite a bit cheaper. ;)

I may go ghost ring on the 870 I'm building up (someone gave me a naked receiver with a mag tube on it), but I'll have to see. I've used beads to put slugs on target out to 50 yards, and the first "real" guns I shot were bead-sighted shotguns. First time I tried a HiViz was on a raced-out 1100, and I was very happy with how quickly I could pick up and knock down targets with it.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I'd considered a ghost ring setup, but honestly at home defense ranges (I can't see it needing to be used at more than 20 feet), a front bead is probably more than what's needed. This is as effective IMO, simpler for me to teach the wife to use (cheek on stock, bead on target, fire) and quite a bit cheaper. ;)

I may go ghost ring on the 870 I'm building up (someone gave me a naked receiver with a mag tube on it), but I'll have to see. I've used beads to put slugs on target out to 50 yards, and the first "real" guns I shot were bead-sighted shotguns. First time I tried a HiViz was on a raced-out 1100, and I was very happy with how quickly I could pick up and knock down targets with it.

I only posted about ghost ring sites because it made a great deal of difference in target accusation for me.
    You may be able to go to a local gun shop and look at a sample

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Interesting. I'll have to check a set out.

For now, though, this build is done. Put the stock on it today, going to go test it out this weekend. Will try to get pics then.

Top Bottom