• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Sold my 2003 F250 6.0 about a month ago to pay bills. Had a horrific consolidation loan at almost 24% APR. Got sick of it after 2 months. Sold the truck, paid the loan, and now cry myself to sleep. Had $7-9k in the engine, back when I had $7-9k to spend.

So I'm itching for another truck. Going to finance through USAA. Budget is roughly $5-7k which keeps the monthly almost dismissable.
    My approval expires May 5. I'll be out of town all next week so I'd like to wrap it up this week

Main uses will be running errands (home depot, Costco, pond fishing on the weekends). 2500 miles/year or less.

Have already looked at a million trucks and they've all sucked.

Current contenders, yet to be seen.

1999 F150 Supercab Flareside 4x4
    9" lift, 37s, REGEARED, meticulously maintained. Stereo, blah blah
    Asking $8k
    KBB is about $5500-6000

Downside is it seats 5 max.

2002 Excursion 2wd V10
    Appears to be kept relatively clean
    Asking $8500
    KBB is around $7k-9k

Downside is 2wd
    Would probably drop the rear 2" and throw some nicer wheels on it when the tires wear down.

Which one would you guys choose in my situation? The F150 is way more fun on terms of wheeling, and I can toss things in the back with no issue.

The Excursion would fit my family comfortably, and has less miles than my wife's navigator. We could drive it to CA when we visit this summer. It can haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the rear seat flipped or removed.

Of course this all depends on my ability to negotiate these down. The F150 is wildly overpriced, and I wouldn't pay more than maaaaybe $300 over KBB only because the tires are brand new and still have the nubs.

The guy with the excursion sounded a little desperate over the phone, I think $7k would be fair.

7429025b4cc9c1741013edfd2c6752d7.jpg
    37430a07226c2021114cdc58bde6f55a.jpg
    de486734a38ca152144235fac5a6ba7e.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    Target Sports

Attachments

• 7429025b4cc9c1741013edfd2c6752d7.jpg
      7429025b4cc9c1741013edfd2c6752d7.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 221
    • 37430a07226c2021114cdc58bde6f55a.jpg
      37430a07226c2021114cdc58bde6f55a.jpg
      59.6 KB · Views: 226
    • de486734a38ca152144235fac5a6ba7e.jpg
      de486734a38ca152144235fac5a6ba7e.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 239

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Jesus that's a long post lol.

I should also mention my wife is completely against the idea. She thinks I should wait 4 or 5 years and get a new new truck.
    She's getting a new navigator in the next 1-2 years. I'm not sure I'll have another $500/mo for a truck in 4 or 5 years.

She also hates hates hates the way excursions look.

I think either way, if i can get a truck in 5 years, I will. 11-16 or 17+ F350 6.7. Whatever I can find in the $30k neighborhood with under 100k? Not impossible.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I went and looked at this, a 2000 4x4 v10
    less than 60k!

Like new 36s that were dry rotted
    paint is trash
    bumpers are dented
    small dent in quarter
    rode like bricks (shocks and tires)
    Needs a major cleaning.

Tires are questionable. Would need an alignment and mirrors replaced (I have mirrors already).

My biggest concern is the big tires with stock gears with the v10. The acceleration is almost unsafe. Can't merge, can't overtake. Braking is horrific as well.

Would be a fabulous project vehicle, but I'm not a position to buy a budget truck and spend days upon days and another $4-5k in tires and gears.

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    2bd4519f92bf1b86df10666630d2b4c7.jpg

Attachments

• 2bd4519f92bf1b86df10666630d2b4c7.jpg
      2bd4519f92bf1b86df10666630d2b4c7.jpg
      72.2 KB · Views: 260

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I think it will hold value better than the f150.
    I sure would like to have that much interior room.
    good points. The interior space is it's biggest selling point. As long as I can keep the leather clean, and body/paint up, it should resell fairly well in a few years.

That said, having a dedicated pickup bed can be unbeatable.
    I'm also a sucker for huge tires. This is literally the only truck I've viewed that's been re-geared. That's a big deal for in-town driving.

While I'll miss the power of the diesel, it'll be nice to not have to warm up or cool down just to run to Wal-Mart, or plug it in overnight if I know I need it the next day during the winter.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What are you driving now? Are you without a second vehicle?

It doesn't sound like you are really hurting without buying right now is why I ask.

I am inclined to agree with your wife, maybe not for the same reasons though. Everything you are looking at screams "money pit" and it seems like your budget doesn't need that.

Trust me, I have been there. When you are in a hole STOP DIGGING!

Maybe I am reading the situation completely wrong but sometimes we have to humble ourselves.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I went and looked at this, a 2000 4x4 v10
    less than 60k!

Like new 36s that were dry rotted
    paint is trash
    bumpers are dented
    small dent in quarter
    rode like bricks (shocks and tires)
    Needs a major cleaning.

Tires are questionable. Would need an alignment and mirrors replaced (I have mirrors already).

My biggest concern is the big tires with stock gears with the v10. The acceleration is almost unsafe. Can't merge, can't overtake. Braking is horrific as well.

Would be a fabulous project vehicle, but I'm not a position to buy a budget truck and spend days upon days and another $4-5k in tires and gears.

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    View attachment 169916

You biggest problem should be the V-10 itself. Don’t walk away, run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    What are you driving now? Are you without a second vehicle?

It doesn't sound like you are really hurting without buying right now is why I ask.

I am inclined to agree with your wife, maybe not for the same reasons though. Everything you are looking at screams "money pit" and it seems like your budget doesn't need that.

Trust me, I have been there. When you are in a hole STOP DIGGING!

Maybe I am reading the situation completely wrong but sometimes we have to humble ourselves.
    you are half right. or maybe all right lol.

Currently driving a company vehicle. 2017 ford escape. Well, it's been at the dealer since 11/30. The escape is crap, and this dealer is incredibly inept. Should be wrapping up the 3rd trans soon. They replaced the longblock in December. Car has 85k.
    3 out of 6 of the company's escapes have had new trans put in. One as early as 21k.

I drive about 5k/mo and I like to get in something less gay on the weekends, or even if just picking the kids up from school on Fridays.

I'd also like to not reapply for the loan. Once the backyard is landscaped I can get the home appraised and try roll our pool into a 2nd. It's a hefty payment right now, high rate short term. So avoiding another inquiry.

Yes, all very petty things. But the main goal is get into something that needs nothing. The F150 appears to be very solid. I know that platform and I know that engine. Both reliable and cheap to fix.
    The excursion isn't too much different. Superduty chassis, same trans as the F150, and the engine is still a 2v mod motor.

I don't forsee spending much on either. Probably intake and full exhaust because I go to monster jam every year and I'm basically 16 years old mentally.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Budget truck that will run forever: ‘90s Chevy pickup with a 350.

Yes, there will be some maintenance. But the parts are dirt cheap and the engines are solid.

Sounds like you want more of a project than a cheap reliable ride though. Maybe I’m reading your posts wrong. Just the impression I got.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Budget truck that will run forever: ‘90s Chevy pickup with a 350.

Yes, there will be some maintenance. But the parts are dirt cheap and the engines are solid.

Sounds like you want more of a project than a cheap reliable ride though. Maybe I’m reading your posts wrong. Just the impression I got.

I think either of those two will run with nothing more than fuel and oil changes. 2500 miles a year for the next 4 or 5 years.

The giant lifted excursion would be more of a project. But the F150 and the stock 2wd excursion should just go.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I can't drive a stock vehicle lol. always gotta make it my own.

What I'm looking for now is nothing major, just a vehicle that hauls kids, hauls lumber and crap.

to me, a project would be like my last truck. Bulletproofed the engine, next up was new suspension/wheels/tires, and eventually new turbo/fuel system/injectors.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    So I'm itching for another truck.
    Issue #1...letting your emotions make a huge decision for you.

Main uses will be running errands (home depot, Costco, pond fishing on the weekends). 2500 miles/year or less.
    Issue #2....then WTF do you need a four wheel drive monstrosity for???

The guy with the excursion sounded a little desperate over the phone.....
    Issue #3....Yea! Ya know why? Dont make a MOVE until you understand why this is.

Question du'jor....They dont make these any more...know why?...:green:

Start being reasonable. Midsized vehicle/pickup. Carry a 4x8 etc etc.

And unless your makin soooo much money that it doesnt matter, stop buying brand new shit.

Sorry...someones gotta be the a-hole....Best of luck. -Dad-

<should keep my opinions to myself:green:>

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Issue #1...letting your emotions make a huge decision for you.

can't say you're wrong. Though I wouldn't consider $5-7k huge.
    Issue #2....then WTF do you need a four wheel drive monstrosity for???

same reason I need more than 1 gun. It's enjoyable.

Issue #3....Yea! Ya know why? Dont make a MOVE until you understand why this is.
    My assumptions are
    1) It's a v10, most want diesel
    2)Its 2wd, most want 4wd
    3)probably the biggest, they are not responding to messages on Facebook, they said to call the phone #. Facebook Marketplace puts [information removed] where someone puts their # in. So they've had this for sale for awhile and can't figure out why it's not selling. Facebook Messenger shows they haven't even seen my message.
    I'm just smart enough to have zoomed in on a pic and seen their phone number on a for sale sign.

I've seen this a handful of times. People put their phone #s in, FB removes it, and the items sit forever.

Question du'jor....They dont make these any more...know why?...:green:
    Well they do make F150s. But I'm sure the EPA had something to do with the extinction of the excursion. They were popular sellers and didn't have any inherent problems the SuperDuty didn't have.

Start being reasonable. Midsized vehicle/pickup. Carry a 4x8 etc etc.

And unless your makin soooo much money that it doesnt matter, stop buying brand new shit.

So the F150?

Also no one ever said I'm buying brand new shit? 1999 and 2002 aren't brand new?

I don't think income is my issue.
    Financial liabilities are. Had a big wakeup call in Feb and am roughly 1/3 of the way towards my goal of reducing my expenditures by $1400. I am willing to take a $100-150/mo setback for a truck lol. Yes I'm that stupid.

Sorry...someones gotta be the a-hole....Best of luck. -Dad-

<should keep my opinions to myself:green:>

No worries. I am self-admittedly juvenile-minded. I will get what I want, but knowing how stupid I am, I need people like you to make stupid decisions slightly less bad.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Sold my 2003 F250 6.0 about a month ago to pay bills. Had a horrific consolidation loan at almost 24% APR.

.... Going to finance ...
    My approval expires May 5. ....

Which one would you guys choose in my situation?

... I 'd also like to not reapply for the loan. Once the backyard is landscaped I can get the home appraised and try roll our pool into a 2nd. It's a hefty payment right now, high rate short term. So avoiding another inquiry.

Yes, all very petty things.

I would t buy a damn thing I couldn’t pay for in cash, and I’d be on a get the hell out of debt as quickly as damned possible plan.

I’d rather feel gay driving someone else’s money around than working my ass off and dumping my money into a fixer-upper that’ll never recoup the investment needed to keep it running for, what’s basically, an unnecessary liability.

I don't think income is my issue.
    Financial liabilities are. ....Yes I'm that stupid.

I will get what I want, but knowing how stupid I am, I need people like you to make stupid decisions slightly less bad...

Doesn’t sound like you really learned the lesson.

Friends don’t help friends do stupid shit.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I would t buy a damn thing I couldn’t pay for in cash, and I’d be on a get the hell out of debt as quickly as damned possible plan.

I’d rather feel gay driving someone else’s money around than working my ass off and dumping my money into a fixer-upper that’ll never recoup the investment needed to keep it running for, what’s basically, an unnecessary liability.
    I understand what you're saying. Not sure we could have bought our house or pool cash though. Wife's next vehicle definitely have to be financed.

We have been making huge strides in eliminating our debts and building our credit up.

We're also working on building up our savings account back up, which is why I decided to finance. $150/mo is safer than blowing $5k out of savings.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    No worries. I am self-admittedly juvenile-minded. I will get what I want, but knowing how stupid I am, I need people like you to make stupid decisions slightly less bad.
    I have to say....great replies.

Yea, you need ole farts like me(us) to help with the stupid decisions...because WE ALREADY MADE THEM.

Just tryin to keep you from fallin in the same hole we did.

"Hole" joke of the day <life lesson in disguise>

Guy falls in a hole and cant get out. Yelling for help a fella comes along and says "Ill go for some rope", but he never shows back up.

More yelling for help brings another fella who says "Ill go find a branch", but he never shows back up.

More yelling for help and a friend of his shows up. "Hey, can you help me?" The friend replies "Sure" and jumps down into the hole.

"OMG" the man says. "Now we are both stuck down here!"

His friend replies, "No we're not. Ive been here before and I know the way out"

Top Bottom