• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cybrhick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Alvin
    I am a newb to this site, and firearms. I am ignorant of state and federal law. So I figured I'd ask those who are not.

Is it still legal to buy a gun from an individual without registering it? How about trading for a gun? Must it be registered?
    Gun Zone Deals

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Mind if I add something a bit off-topic? If you're going to show your toys on a public forum, you might want to edit the license plate so it doesn't show. Good folks on the TGT, but lots of trolls around the internet.

cybrhick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Alvin
    Great info. So one more question. How does the transaction change if I were to buy/trade a firearm from an individual while out of state?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Great info. So one more question. How does the transaction change if I were to buy/trade a firearm from an individual while out of state?

You cannot legally by a firearm from an individual from another state. That is regulated by the ATF, and the transaction must go through an FFL in your state of residence.

cybrhick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Alvin
    And what paperwork must be filled out to retrieve the firearm from the FFL? I know I'm asking a bunch of questions. I'm just trying to understand everything BEFORE I start looking and/or purchasing. Been trying to horsetrade as much as possible since money is tight.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    And what paperwork must be filled out to retrieve the firearm from the FFL? I know I'm asking a bunch of questions. I'm just trying to understand everything BEFORE I start looking and/or purchasing. Been trying to horsetrade as much as possible since money is tight.

You fill out a form 4473, where you list your name and address and indicate that you are not a criminal, mental defective, etc. Then the dealer calls NCIC to make sure you are not prohibited, and you walk out with the gun. If you have a CHL the phone call is not necessary.

cybrhick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Alvin
    You fill out a form 4473, where you list your name and address and indicate that you are not a criminal, mental defective, etc. Then the dealer calls NCIC to make sure you are not prohibited, and you walk out with the gun. If you have a CHL the phone call is not necessary.
    So, wouldn't the 4473 in essence be a form of registering the firearm to you?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So, wouldn't the 4473 in essence be a form of registering the firearm to you?

Not really ... the FBI is the group behind the NICS check, and they only know you are buying a firearm that is either a long gun, other, or handgun. I suppose the ATF could subpoena all the records and go house to house, but the likelihood of that is slim to none. They don't have the manpower, balls, or authority to do that in the state of Texas. In essence, they'd be putting themselves out of a job as well.

Top Bottom