• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    "Be neighborly, consider minding your own damn business".
    Libs only pretend to "care" about veterans when they try to use them for their agendas.

My wife was shot in our backyard ( in the city limits) by an idiot neighbor on way more than 10 acres.

I have kids to raise so I’m pursuing my remedy through the courts.

Don’t be an idiot when using weapons on your own property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

tbark44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    nowhere
    yea i never been called on but i been out here 17 yrs build a pistol range in my front yard with phone polls an dirt faced down lots of bad guy cardboard waiting for neibors to drive by for absolute safety but they knew what i was doing an know i wait on them to come by before enguaging fire , had a few friends shoot with me but no hard feelings from any one i been here longer than 80% of em here ,t

Attachments

• !cid_image056_jpg@01D14ED2.jpg
      !cid_image056_jpg@01D14ED2.jpg
      37.2 KB · Views: 266

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    You may remember this thread earlier this year:
    https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/anonymous-neighbor-needs-safe-space.85008/

I have since built a range on my place with a nice berm. It is visible from the road and faces the road, a lightly traveled dead-end road.

Last night there was a pack of coyotes on my place. They're around here all the time but this was the first time I've seen them on my place. I am worried about my calves so I decided to sight-in my Vortex Spitfire on my Colt 6940 and be ready for this evening. Then I figured I might as well sight-in my Sig Romeo on my FNX 45-T. I've only used my range once since I built it in July and that was with a suppressed .22.

So, today I fired off about 20 shots through the AR then started to move closer for the pistol. I looked up and noticed two Bexar County deputy vehicles at my fence. I greeted them and asked if my neighbors had called. I know another neighbor got a visit from them after shooting not too long ago. They confirmed a neighbor did call. I have a pretty good idea who called but I have no idea if that is the same person that sent the anonymous letter earlier this year.

The deputies asked how many acres I had. I have over 10 so they said I was legal. I let them look at the range and they were satisfied that it was safe, much safer than the average places they get called to for shooting in the country. They said lots of people have no backstop at all.

They told me to have a nice day, carry on, and that I didn't need to do anything. They said they would tell me neighbor I was safe and legal. I offered to talk to my neighbor and/or call him prior to any shooting. I haven't heard from the neighbor.

I bought this place in part because I could shoot out here. I had my attorney specifically double check that I was legal. I don't mean to be a jerk but if you don't like shooting don't live in the country. The people around me on my side of the road have 35-75 acres and all shoot frequently. I like it that way.

Here's the letter I got earlier this year, the range being built, and my range today after all the heavy rains. I have some extra sand I'm going to have to add to the right side of the backstop, just to the right of the metal target. That area washed out with the rain and left some rocks exposed.

View attachment 151396 View attachment 151397 View attachment 151398 View attachment 151399 View attachment 151400 View attachment 151401 View attachment 151402
    Nice!

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Pal up near Fort Worth with a similar issue with his rural lake lot . The deputies said even though he was in the country there was a County Ordiance on shooting within so many feet of a neighbors house. 500 I think it was and he has several neighbors closer than that. Prob no issue if he was on 10 acres.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I was shooting again this afternoon & the neighbor came over & yelled at me across the fence. Sure enough, 3 deputies show up an hour later.

This time the deputies tried to tell me I may be in violation based on 229.002:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/LG/htm/LG.229.htm

I told them that applies to municipalities. They admitted they could be wrong but also implied living in the unincorporated county could be a municipality. What?

This neighbor is going to call everytime I shoot. Every deputy(s) may have a different opinion. I asked the deputies tonight how to settle the question once & for all & they didn't know. They did say even a court opinion wouldn't stop them from investigating every time the guy calls.

Here's the worst thing: even if I somehow permanently make the Sheriff aware I can legally shoot on my place the neighbor can shoot a hole in his window & say I did it. That could put me in a world of hurt.

I'm legal & safe. My neighbor doesn't like it.

Mungle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Few things worse than a bad neighbor, and you may have found the king. As you stated - they could create incidents that might have a significant negative impact on your life.

Distance is the cure for many ills.

Mungle

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    People who sue too much can be designated by the courts as a "vexatious litigant" and from then on there's an assumption that all the cases they file are trash. (Well, not exactly, but read the linked article for a more precise understanding.) Is there something analogous for folks who call the police too much?

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    I was shooting again this afternoon & the neighbor came over & yelled at me across the fence. Sure enough, 3 deputies show up an hour later.

I told them that applies to municipalities. They admitted they could be wrong but also implied living in the unincorporated county could be a municipality. What?

This neighbor is going to call everytime I shoot. Every deputy(s) may have a different opinion. I asked the deputies tonight how to settle the question once & for all & they didn't know. They did say even a court opinion wouldn't stop them from investigating every time the guy calls.

Here's the worst thing: even if I somehow permanently make the Sheriff aware I can legally shoot on my place the neighbor can shoot a hole in his window & say I did it. That could put me in a world of hurt.

Sounds like you’re being legal, safe and considerate. Sorry you’re having to deal with an inconsiderate neighbor.

We’re not so lucky where I live.

We never thought about calling the cops on my neighbor until my wife was shot. Since then we’ve had additional incidents of bullets coming into our neighborhood, including a neighbors car getting shot.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    People who sue too much can be designated by the courts as a "vexatious litigant" and from then on there's an assumption that all the cases they file are trash. (Well, not exactly, but read the linked article for a more precise understanding.) Is there something analogous for folks who call the police too much?
    The best I came up with is filing a civil suit for harrassment. Calling the police on me every time I do something legal would meet the criteria. I can get a restraining order.

Problem is a restraining order doesn't allow me to commit a crime. If the guy puts a hole in his window & says i did it, I'm still in trouble.

My wife showed me he was on that neighborhood app a few months ago accusing people of poisoning his trees.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    We never thought about calling the cops on my neighbor until my wife was shot. Since then we’ve had additional incidents of bullets coming into our neighborhood, including a neighbors car getting shot.

Not sure if you can talk about the case but how is that guy allowed to keep shooting?!

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Not sure if you can talk about the case but how is that guy allowed to keep shooting?!

The people responsible for shooting my wife never faced criminal charges. However the property owner did put a stop to further shooting on his property.

The other incidents came from other properties around our neighborhood. We live in a city subdivision near properties in the county.

The police started a public safety campaign to inform people in the county about the incidents in our neighborhood and their potential liabilities if they shoot someone again. It seems to have helped.

Despite still having a bullet lodged in her, my wife isn’t against people legally shooting on their own property. She just wants them to use a proper backstop and no shoot towards houses or people.

“Know your target and what’s beyond it”

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf

Just shoot every day. They will get tired of one or the other of you and the police will solve the problem.

Just make sure you are legal and you'll win this war.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    It sounds like you’re trying to be a good neighbor. I’m my experience, trying to escalate the situation or acting like a bad neighbor doesn’t help. I’d just continue to shoot safely and not worry about them. The police can’t come on your property without probable cause and if your neighbors try to frame you for a negligent shooting, the burden of proof would be on them.

I’m old enough to remember when Texans tried to be polite and get along with their neighbors.

Top Bottom