• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    he has this big ass hotspot on his ass/tail, and ill clean it but he just keeps chewing/licking it, so its been getting worse.

I cleaned it tonight and put some ointment on it, and then took out his muzzle which hasnt been used in like 7 years. HE IS PISSED!!!!! he went and laid on his blanket (his sleeping area) and didnt move or anything for like 45 minutes, even if we called his name.

now he is chilling at my feet near my office chair. i reach down to pet him every now and again.

2012-08-29230124.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Poor guy. My buddy just took his dog to the vet. They gave her some 80 dollar shot and no chewing now. Think it lasts 3 months.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You know you can give dogs benadryl. Vets(and myself) do it all the time. Give him one tablet. Or if you're unsure of the dosage, look it up or call your vet.

He doesn't have to bear the itch.

In fact most medication we get, Vets give to animals. Tramadol, Gabapentin, Amoxicillin (Yes they go by the exact same name at the vet)...I have family in the vet field. Their med shelf looks like the one at walmart. I cleared up an ear infection on myself using vet meds. It was the same damn thing walmart wanted $120 bucks for.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Looks like he needs some antibiotics. If you have the stomach to do it yourself, use some Combiotic from the feedstore.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thanks for the tips. Didnt know about the benadryl. The white stuff on his butt is antibiotic ointment i had in the med cabinet.

If its infected, the Combiotic will clear it up really fast. Twice as fast as a creme.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Poor puppy.

Have you tried Sulfodene First Aid Skin Medication?

I've used it for years and heals lots of skin irritations, including "hot spots."

It is also an effective first aid agent for scrapes and minor cuts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    If you can't make it by TSC or the feedstore use Neosporin.

Just FYI, you can use neosporin for eye infections as well. A small dap at the corner of the eye. It wipes across when they close their eyes.

But benadryl will help the guy the most. He'll leave it alone once the itch is controlled. I'd give him the same dose as needed for a 12yo child. Thats close to the weight. But benadryl is pretty safe. If you over dose him(its takes alot! Like 10+ tablets at a time, for his weight)...he'll just think he's Mr Peanut for a little while. Then sleep like a baby.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    yea, it still hasnt gone away. cleaned and put ointment on tonight, and i finally dosed him with some benadryl and peanut butter. tomorrow ima give him a thorough bath to see if that helps any.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    Try pouring some olive oil on its skin. It will soothe it and it relieves dry/scaly skin. It may sound weird, but it works.

makeitcount

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    fort worth
    You know you can give dogs benadryl. Vets(and myself) do it all the time. Give him one tablet. Or if you're unsure of the dosage, look it up or call your vet.

He doesn't have to bear the itch.

In fact most medication we get, Vets give to animals. Tramadol, Gabapentin, Amoxicillin (Yes they go by the exact same name at the vet)...I have family in the vet field. Their med shelf looks like the one at walmart. I cleared up an ear infection on myself using vet meds. It was the same damn thing walmart wanted $120 bucks for.

Ya forgot to mention that the doseages aren't the same. Ya cant just give your dog the same pill we take. It can them real sick.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Jake's lady Vet told be to take Children's Benedryl liquid and give him 1/8 of a teaspoon to keep allergies from tearing him up. His eyes water, he sneezes and seems like he gets sinus headaches .....Just like his Daddy. When Jake was stung by a wasp, he was dizzy and started breaking out in hives. She gave him a Benedryl shot and it calmed right down. He only weighs 8 pounds and a wasp sting really zonks him.

His dose is small and he won't take the medicine by choice so I got a small syringe, load it up, and squirt it in his mouth.

Hope your dog gets better soon!

Flash

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have had great results with Vetericyn. Not the cheapest thing out there and not as easy to find as others suggested, but it works on all stuff like that. I also have used it on myself and keep a bottle in the "get out of town fast" kit. Great SHTF product. Tractor Supply usually carries it.

Top Bottom