• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    North Richland Hills (DFW)
    I got this desert eagle in a trade last week. It looks like it has a very low round count, but when I disassembled it, it looks like it has potentially had a minor(?) malfunction and repair.

On the bottom of the slide, where the recoil assembly fits into the slide, something is funked up. The recoil assembly doesn't appear to interact with this funked up part of metal, but something is definitely off. It also looks like the tip of the recoil spring that fits in with the piston and the slide has been machined. It is not a square shape, and looks like it has been modified in some way (clear circular machine mark).

I really appreciate any help someone can offer. To me it looks like the recoil assembly "broke" some previous piston and jammed into the slide to mash the metal up. If that is the case it would also explain the machined recoil assembly, and that is disconcerting. Here are some pics:

IMAG0365.jpg IMAG0366.jpg IMAG0367.jpg
    Target Sports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    You see that metal that is raised. That's caused from something beating around in there.
    Get a dremel tool and remove the raised spots.
    As far as I can tell nothing should be touching that part of the slide to beat around. The recoil assembly is held in place by that piston. That's why I was thinking it would have to bend or break the piston to mash into the slide and cause that kind of damage.

I'm gonna shoot this beast whenever I finally get to a range... and see if it even matters.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    You might want to call or email the folks that make it before you do anything to it and ask them what might cause that. They may tell you not to worry or they may say send it in to them (for free??). Worst case would them telling you not to fire it. Just a thought.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Looks like someone got mad when they couldn't put it back together. Mine never had any wear like that.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Still, I mean... If I were going to trust my life to a weapon I'd want to have put more than 40 rounds down the pipe. That's all I'm saying. Just doesn't seem like enough to really know a weapon.

Agreed 100%, which is why I'll be filthy rich before I depend on that handgun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Here are some pictures of my old DE 50 I am not sure if it helps or not.

View attachment 7905 View attachment 7906

Awesome thanks. It looks like I imagined mine should.

Ya, $70 was the reason only 40 rounds. That's 2 boxes of speer gold dots and have one for home. Hopefully don't have to bank my life on it any time... but if I run into a busload of zombies I won't feel too under-gunned.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Does someone pick up a desert eagle for some other reason? heh.

I wasn't really aiming for one, just had it offered in a trade and took it. I would be way more proficient with a glock or m9 or whatever, this is just fun to have nearby. For all my anti-materiel needs...

Top Bottom