• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunlovincollector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season!

I'm going to be moving to Texas in January with a suppressor from AZ. I believe with a suppressor I don't need to notify the ATF (please let me know if that's incorrect), but how does it work in Texas? Can I just move to the state with one? Or do I need to notify LE or anything like that? Never moved with an NFA item before.

Thanks!
    Brian

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season!

I'm going to be moving to Texas in January with a suppressor from AZ. I believe with a suppressor I don't need to notify the ATF (please let me know if that's incorrect), but how does it work in Texas? Can I just move to the state with one? Or do I need to notify LE or anything like that? Never moved with an NFA item before.

Thanks!
    Brian

Texas does not have gun registration of any kind. If you meet FedLaw, you are GTG.

As Silencers do not need ATF notification to go interstate, you are good.

gunlovincollector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Did some research and called ATF.

Basically you dont need a form 5320.20 to move a suppressor across state lines. On both the 5320.20 and the form 4 it clearly states you only need permission for SBR, SBS, Machine Guns, and destructive devices. I also called ATF and they said you dont need it to transport across state lines. That said, to play it safe, it can't hurt. While you may not be breaking the law, a LEO or someone else in a position or authority might not know the laws and could make things difficult.

If you are permanently moving though you do need to notify the ATF. This is clearly mentioned on the form 4. The person I spoke to at the NFA branch at the ATF said it's fine to move and then file change of address after. And I've found threads online where people said they filed after a move. I also have not found any rules anywhere on when you need to notify the ATF of a change of address. However again, for clean healthy living, its probably best to submit the form 5320.20, or at least send a letter to the ATF, notifying them of the new address and the date you'll be moving, just to be safe.

So while it's probably overkill, I did decide to use form 5320.20 to inform the ATF of the permanent move ahead of time as well as the dates of the move. Better safe than sorry I figure.

ekim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    ky
    Are you going to surppress the whole state, is your surppressor big enough to do that? What about near by states, will they be surppressed too. Must be a pain lugging something that big around.

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    You don't NEED to notify the ATF on a permanent change of address for suppressors. Just move and that's that. 5320.20s and notice only apply to NFA items other than AOW and silencers.

I can tell you that you need to give me $1000 right now as well... doesn't mean it holds any sort of legal weight to it.

Top Bottom