• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Over it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    My goto shop in Plano is Riflegear, best selection/customer service in the area IMHO.

Eagle Gun Range, their new facility in Addison is pretty nice with lots of scenarios available at the lane. Friendly staff, wassup Eric and David! Took my LTC with David H. an instructor there, very informative! Remember license to carry is only $40 here in Texas!
    Target Sports

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Glad I stopped by this thread; I was going to buy a gun and check out the Armadillo range near the lake. Didn't know it was a $40 range fee. Yeah, nah. Anything over $15 for an all day fee I'm not going to pay. I'll check out the other ranges first.

I will give a +1 to Rifle Gear in Plano, great customer service, its where I'm buying my next gun.

jdogg2000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    DFW
    I'm new to DFW but I've already done several transactions with Riflegear and they are fantastic. I've also made a purchase at Grabagun and I thought they were good too.

Quig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2018
    Plano
    Lots of luck with gunmasters in plano as a smith and store (ammuntion a tad cheaper at box stores). I like bullet trap in plano for pistols but their rifle range is a bit lacking. bullet trap also has decent gun deals but their ammo is of course over priced being at the range.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Hello. Just wondering if any folks have suggestions for good stores and gunsmiths in Collin County. Also looking for gun clubs or shooting clubs that won't break the bank on membership. Your wisdom is appreciated.

Frisco Gun Club.

viking_in_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    I'm in Frisco. My favorite gun store in Gunmaster in Plano or Cabelas in Allen. Most private ranges are expensive. I paid $500+ a year at Frisco Gun Club until I found this place....

http://fossilpointe.net/

$18/day for pistol and rifle. 50 miles from my house but worth the drive.

From range rules: http://fossilpointe.net/rifle-pistol/
    *No rapid fire
    *NO Steel Core, Metal Core, Tracers or FMJ’S (Full metal jackets) Rifle Ammo

If I can't do standard ammo, and fire at my own pace, which is sometimes fast, I'm out

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I was dumbfounded when I found out some places don't let you shoot FMJ. I just can't make any sense of it. So far I've shot at Bullet Trap in Frisco, it was alright and reasonably priced but supposedly their ventilation system isn't safe. Dunno, can't verify. I just shot at TDSA which I think requires you to be a member or know someone who is a member. Good range, and pretty few rules. I'd go again; with a member its only $20 all day.

I know someone who has recently shot at Magnum in Sanger, they said its pretty low budget in that the target stands are just some pallets in a field, and limited to a 3-round burst. $15 all day. I think when it warms up again I'll ride my motorcycle up there and check it out myself.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    From range rules: http://fossilpointe.net/rifle-pistol/
    *No rapid fire

If I can't do standard ammo, and fire at my own pace, which is sometimes fast, I'm out

No FMJ is pretty standard for ranges that are in or close to neighborhoods. Elm Fork allows it in places, but not on the long rifle range.

Tracers are what burned down the Dallas Gun Club range. So almost no one allows those anymore.

What is standard ammo?
    Winchester White Box?
    Yugoslavian Military FMJ surplus ammo?
    home reloads?

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    No FMJ is pretty standard for ranges that are in or close to neighborhoods.
    Can you explain that to me? The crowd I'm with can't, but it just doesn't make any sense that a stray HP bullet would be any safer to nearby neighborhoods over a FMJ.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    FMJs will fly further, ricochet better, go through barriers and generally stay more intact than any other bullet. And is thus more of a danger to those downrange. There are dozens of lawsuits filed by those injured personally or property-wise by bullets going out of the range property.

A HP, ballistic tip, or soft point bullet is going to collapse upon impact with pretty much anything and will not travel as far.

Some ranges have trees or other things behind it that could alter a bullets path, but not all ranges are that way.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    *No rapid fire

Better find a private range. Those rules are common around here. I've been told the rule agaist FMJ is due to ricochet. Makes sense. I reload and don't shoot cheap steel case ammo, so no great loss to me.

Last edited:

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    I usually shoot on my own property. But, it is good for handgun only. Rifles are shot just to keep them happy. The law says it is ok if the bullet doesn't go off your property. Game Warden says it can't cross the fence. So, I advise all my ammo to not cross the fence. I think it is working. And, I can't find a good range close by either.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I know when you shoot at the Garland public range, they have an entire jar of confiscated memberships, supposedly for folks who tried to shoot FMJ on their range. But a few years ago there were rifle bullets showing-up in Rowlett bedrooms, so you can see why they are trying to be vigilant.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/roc...es-to-shut-down-garland-public-shooting-range

I think the new baffle system they have would eliminate 95% of that. It's much louder, but appears much safer.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Can you explain that to me? The crowd I'm with can't, but it just doesn't make any sense that a stray HP bullet would be any safer to nearby neighborhoods over a FMJ.

It is not FMJ, but steel core like M855 and other milsurp. and all these ammos have a FMJ. So they ban FMJ, even though lots of Match Bullets are FMJ, as are many pistol rounds.

viking_in_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    <snip>

What is standard ammo?
    Winchester White Box?
    Yugoslavian Military FMJ surplus ammo?
    home reloads?

Yea all of those...
    I kind of get the reasons why, that's not the problem. Steel in bullets can spark and set off brush fire etc. Nobody wants that.
    I sometimes wonder if they are really referring to "bi-metal" or "copper washed steel" bullets or steel core or such under the term "full metal jacket"..?

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Simple, if it looks the color of a penny and doesn't have a hole in the pointy end or exposed lead on the pointy end it's full metal jacket. Make it easy for the min wage helpers.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Simple, if it looks the color of a penny and doesn't have a hole in the pointy end or exposed lead on the pointy end it's full metal jacket. Make it easy for the min wage helpers.

The irony is a MatchKing is 99.99% FMJ. If it was not for the OTM, that would be banned too.

Top Bottom