• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Yep, but it's those "soft" barriers you could drive through if you had to. It has a healthy sized shoulder so emergency vehicles could probably use that. If it weren't for all the debris on it, I would have used it to pass :laughing:

There's enough space between them for a wrecker, or cop, to fit through to get on or off. Gotta be going slow or be a slalom master, though.

Lol

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    I've driven in every major city in the US except NYC... Austin is by far the worst... It's a city of 1 million people with the road infrastructure for a city of 250k... MOPAC is a nightmare... Austin is the only place I've ever been where I was in a traffic jam at 1am for no reason.
    At least the people in Austin are just oblivious retards.

The Mad-Max minivans packed with fat Mexicans in San Antonio are out for blood.

BRILLANTE Y CROMO

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    I have a few big problems with Austin traffic... one being the toll roads. Basically, to use some "almost" necessary roads, you pay out the ass. 45 and 130 being prime examples. The mixing of "public" and "private" roads drives me nuts--- along with the extortion called "late fees" when they never sent you a bill to begin with, or charge you $30 in late fees on a 0.00 charge.

The second being the city roads support 200k, not a million. So instead of actually fixing that, they do weird 'social experiments' on flexible tolls in a toll system run by thieves.

Then we have idiots that can't drive... Travis and Williamson county have VERY different drivers.

But the icing on the cake is bizarre traffic jams for no reason. Like trying to get from Manchaca to Round Rock on a Thursday night at 8:00pm and the drive magically taking 4 hours.... why, who knows.

I have less of a problem with the idiot drivers in Austin, and more a problem with the infrastructure and criminal toll roads.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Left lane bandits in most of Texas:
    Clueless behind the wheel.

Left lane bandits in Austin:
    Entitled, they have every right to be in that lane and you’re a racist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I like the toll roads themselves - they are VERY convenient for me to drive.
    But I despise the criminal politicians who made them toll roads and the idjits who make their toll policies. TXDOT could've/should've built them with the gas tax revenues - of which 30%-40% has been diverted to the general fund for decades to pay for those sumbitches pet projects.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I got along just fine before the toll roads and now avoid them like the plague, except for special circumstances. I still manage pretty well by scheduling my drives or careful choices of local roads.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    There was a lot less traffic before the toll roads existed... In a lot of cases taking the toll or not can be a difference of 30min getting to your destination. To me that's worth the $1.25.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    If it were only $1.25. I just schedule my driving at different times or change routes. Or just work from home. Or just don't go. I live in Round Rock and work in Oak Hill now. The best way to do this drive is 45 to MoPac to OH and back. It costs $2.18 for 45 and N. MoPac and then an additional $4.80 for the MoPac Express lane. About $7 each way at normal times, or about $3 at off times. At 22 working days a month that is quite a chunk of change just to get there and back ($132 to $308 a month). I will stick with my method. The more of you that use the tolls the less drivers on the regular roads. I haven't experienced any longer times using my method, but I have some flexibility in when I have to drive.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The toll roads in Houston are pretty optional for me. When I have to get all the way across town or to someplace in the middle of town, I check the Houston TranStar web site and decide. Given the right combination of problems, toll roads can save me an hour. When there are no accidents, they're slower than the regular lanes.

I like having the option but I hate that we're still paying tolls long after it was promised they'd be free.

Austin, OTOH, sounds like a real cluster...

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    130 is a nightmare.

It's literally useless since the pea-brain that designed it decided to make it 2 lanes only in each direction.

Therefore, if you're cruising along at 80mph, but a trucker going 65 resourc to pass another trucker because they're going 64.5, you're screwed.
    Instant traffic jam, just add trucker

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yeah, but they are gonna start adding another lane each way early next year (still not enough).

Top Bottom