• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Would the police have their lights rolling in a situation like this?
    Texas SOT

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    No. Under ideal conditions. Got to sneak up on bad Old boogers. Will say if the homeowner can’t be reached by phone yes yes yes. Pull up in the front yard with the redlights and siren blasting while shouting poleece over the PA. Any non rookies know homeowners are much more dangerous than burglars.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Would the police have their lights rolling in a situation like this?

Never, in my experience.

I've had the police show up at our house due to the alarm accidentally being set off a couple of times. No call from the monitoring company, just a cop at the door ringing the bell. Luckily I am able to ID who is there before opening it, and every time the officer is standing right in front of it with his hands on his hips. Given we have a porch and steps at the front, I would have stepped back off the former at a minimum. They don't know what's going on. I understand there aren't any indications of trouble, but that still wouldn't stop me from moving back to a safe location.

When we lived in Belgium, the alarms were just as loud outside as in the house. There was also a flashing yellow light just below the roof to help the police find it. I thought both were a good idea.

We don't know the facts, just the tragic outcome of what happened here. I will respectfully refrain from making any speculations as to what happened, I am just saddened knowing another officer will not be going home to their family. How and why that happened needs to be known, so it doesn't get repeated!

Cheers! M2

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Back in the day, the recording studio was a building behind my residence, in the Heights.
    The residence had a silent alarm that notified the police.
    Guest had left and, unbeknownst to me armed the alarm while I was in the studio.

Walked from the studio to the house to get a drink.
    When inside the house, dummy notices a police car out front in the street, with the door open.
    Hmm, ... what's that about?

Opened the back door to go around and check it out, didn't make the first step.
    Staring right down the stainless steel barrel of a 1911, 45 ACP.
    Behind it was a small, Hispanic LEO ... scared the shit out of bofus.

I was splayed out, hands against the wall while he shook his pants out.
    Finally convinced him it was my house, then followed suit.

No more silent alarms for me ...

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    The vast majority of alarms I have been around sound an alarm inside and out hardwired to 120 and a back up dry cell lantern battery in case a smart burglar figgers out how to cut off the electricity. The biggest problem is Alarm salesmen are slick talkers and manage to convince dumb yups if it goes off they are fixing to get murdered. I have a sign in front of my house saying I have one but I don’t really. That scares off most amateurs most likely. Never had one try it yet. Will venture to say if I had ever found a real bad guy at an alarm call I would have probably been so shocked I woulda died of a heart attack. Now silent alarms are designed to really catch alleged perps. Some of the schools have them around here. It takes somebody listening on a microphone to do it right.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Tough situation all around.
    Yep totally horrible. A year or so back the cops up here killed the home owner when they went to the wrong house on an alarm call and the victim drew down on them. Guess the famous old Book is right Man who is born of woman is short of days and full of trouble. Going to the wrong house is much more common than most folks might think.

Top Bottom