• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've been using exclusively Varget and AA2230 for reloading the 223. Recently I acquired some H335 and wanted to do some side by side testing(accuracy and MV). However, one or two of my reloading sources recommend magnum primers with this powder. Has anyone had a problem using standard SR primers with this powder ? I loaded a couple of small batches and I am hoping they shoot ok. Hopefully I can get some advice before I make it out to the country to shoot em'. Thanks guys - Texmex
    DK Firearms

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've shot off about 300 or 400 rounds with H335.

Been putting 24.9grains behind a 55 fmj seems to be what I'm using. Not at maximum, but it punches paper pretty well. I haven't tried to get real accurate with them yet. I've been using magtec primers Small rifle (7.5 I think) and Lake City brass. Its a pretty fast burning powder, and you get a lot of real variation in load manuals. (Hornady has very conservative, the maximum being less than the minnimum in my Lyman manual. )

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    My go-to data for the AR is by Sierra. They have AR specific loads that usually exceed the max's listed in other manuals. Your recipe of 24.9gr is the exact amount I settled on for 55 and 60gr Hornady SP bullets. I also have some magtec sr primers but I am currently using wolf sr. Sounds like they'll shoot just fine, Thanks TX42.

spitstickler

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Flower Mound
    Sounds like we're all in the same ballpark. I've been loading 24.8 of H335 under 55 grainers and a grain less (23.8) under the 60 grain bullets. Standard CCI 400 primers and for a variety of bullets. Gives me small groups and the same POI at 100 yards our of a 16" barreled AR. My pet load uses this combo with the 60grn vmax. Santa brought me a chronograph so it'll be interesting to see how fast they are flying. Mine seem a little soft compared to M193. Have you guy's checked your velocities? Would be interesting to compare.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've chrono'ed loads with AA230 (24.5gr and a 55gr pill), they're producing around 2850 fps in my 16" Armalite. I expect similar results with the H335 at 24.9gr. I probably won't know for sure til' after deer season. So I guess you haven't had any problem with standard primers either, good deal.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    I load all my .223/5.56 with H335 for AR use. I've never had a standard SR primer not ignite the load. Not all primers claiming to be magnums really are. Wolf is a prime example. Their mags are not true mags.

Top Bottom