DK Firearms

M&P 15-22 Build with every modification I can throw at it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Still playing with the Cerakote.

Just a mock up, will probably spray the scope and mount too.
    GY7PDaO.jpg

VZoHzEF.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Almost there, got the barrel nut modified to work with the full size AR handguard and upgraded the extractor and firing pin with the Volquartsen replacements. Completed the rest of the assembly and the rifle is now functional, just need to finish Cerakoting the final parts. I expect to test fire it by the weekend. Volquartsen recommends putting 50 to to 100 rounds through the barrel for break in. Can't wait to see how it does.

G2EmX02.jpg

Volquartsen firing pin and extractor in stainless vs the stock M&P parts.
    jbgRGR2.jpg

gGjxxTG.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I just completed my art project.:cool: I'll see how it shoots in the morning, I'm supposed to break in the barrel with 50 to 100 rounds according to Volquartsen, I'm going to enjoy this. I'll start on accuracy tests after that.

05Oyxw3.jpg

CFf0vd1.jpg

VshdST0.jpg

YejlHkq.jpg

4u5XwD3.jpg

fDJ5l7A.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    First shots!

The good: Very accurate, handles like a full size AR, comfortable to shoot. The light weight still takes a little getting used to but feels much better for me now.

The bad: Out of the first 50 to 60 rounds I had 7 light primer strikes. Of the next 50 to 60 rounds I had three or four light primer strikes. Out of the the last 70 to 80 rounds I had two light primer strikes. Is the problem going away? Does it need more running to break in? I'll just have to see what happens. The fact that it started to go away makes me feel easier about it. I did also get Cerakote inside the chamber where the bolt runs, it's possible it was dragging just a bit. When I tear it down for cleaning tonight I'll do some inspection. Other than the light strikes I had no other issues and I went through over 200 rounds.

This was just supposed to be the barrel break in of 50 to 100 rounds but once I started shooting I just went for it. It's without a doubt far more accurate than before. I had it zeroed with less than ten rounds. When it was stock I had a lot of trouble getting it to zero and never quite got it to shoot as accurately as I wanted. Being accurate with this rifle now is nearly effortless and it's about as close to zero recoil as you can get.
    I2lLE6r.jpg

NOTE: My muzzle brake came loose at some point because I failed to tighten it like a numbskull.:p There might be more in this thing, I'll be doing it all over again.

I didn't do any three shot group stuff to cherry pick the best shots, I just went for it and most are fifteen shot groups. I got what I got. I also shot non stop, the gun never cooled down. I brought three other guns with me and I never got around to shooting them because the M&P is now so much fun to shoot!

This is CCI 40 grain standard velocity.
    c1DpIVG.jpg

SK Long Range 40 grain, very happy with this ammo.
    XkTffTQ.jpg

SK again, this is either from the muzzle break coming loose or just me. I'll go with me, it's almost always the loose nut behind the trigger.
    K1l7rib.jpg

CCI Mini Mag, didn't expect hollow points to shoot this well.
    VBduEHR.jpg

CCI Stangers, hollow points again. This is thirty rounds, it loves the Stangers for sure. I'll have to stock up.
    ZHR96LL.jpg

Winchester Super X didn't do very well and neither did Elley. Both were all over the place and of course it doesn't mean it's not good ammo. It's just not good in this gun. I'll try shooting it through my 22/45 and see what it does. Like I mentioned earlier in the post, the muzzle brake came loose so I'll give it all another try before moving on to fifty yards. Hopefully the light primer strike issue goes away, I'll report what happens either way, good or bad.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Eggcellent build I enjoyed reading what you did. You’ve got one heck of a plinker there.

Thank you sir, the scope will probably show up as the weak link once I move to fifty yards. It's just a cheap Vortex Crossfire II, it's good enough for what I want to do though.

Top Bottom