• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I am so thankful I have a doctor that listens. Showed up with the bullseye rashes after hunting in the northeast.

When I suggested to my doc it could be tick borne he immediately tested me and started me on a course of doxycycline. The tests came back negative, but he said that doesn't necessarily mean I didn't have it as it can take months to show up.

If you get the luxury of an early warning( bullseye rashes where you pulled a tick, flu like symptoms right after tick bites) see your doctor immediately and tell them your concerns. If they pat you on the head and give you that condecending tone, get a second opinion.

The earlier you get it treated the less likely you are to have long term effects.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Showed up with the bullseye rashes after hunting in the northeast.
    Wasn't specifically a "bullseye" rash, but had similar symptoms (rash & flu} after hunting in the Sierras in the early eighties. Never did anything about it, but this year when my wife and I have our physicals, I'm going to talk to our doctor about it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    How elaborate is the test for it? Do they just require some blood? Might not be a bad idea to just add it to your yearly tests if you're outdoors a lot. I'm going to ask next time...

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Don't even bother with the test. It's a needless expense. The quicker you get the medicine the better and by the time you get the test back the symptoms may be bad enough to be obvious.

If you get a tick bite, rash, feel like the flu just go get the medicine before you get the headaches and joint pain.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've heard symptoms can be pretty mild, too... How do you tell the difference between headaches and joint pain from getting older and headaches and joint pain from Lyme?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    How elaborate is the test for it? Do they just require some blood? Might not be a bad idea to just add it to your yearly tests if you're outdoors a lot. I'm going to ask next time...

The test suck. Lot of false negatives and false positives.

Really helps that Lyme isn't in Texas....

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I've had to remove dozens of ticks from me when I lived in the NE. The amount of time they are left on you has a great deal to do with your chances of getting Lyme disease. I always made it a point to shower after leaving an area known for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am so thankful I have a doctor that listens. Showed up with the bullseye rashes after hunting in the northeast.

When I suggested to my doc it could be tick borne he immediately tested me and started me on a course of doxycycline. The tests came back negative, but he said that doesn't necessarily mean I didn't have it as it can take months to show up.

If you get the luxury of an early warning( bullseye rashes where you pulled a tick, flu like symptoms right after tick bites) see your doctor immediately and tell them your concerns. If they pat you on the head and give you that condecending tone, get a second opinion.

The earlier you get it treated the less likely you are to have long term effects.

I thought you wear a flea and tick collar?

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I've heard symptoms can be pretty mild, too... How do you tell the difference between headaches and joint pain from getting older and headaches and joint pain from Lyme?

You'll know it when you feel it, I guarantee. You may not know it's Lyme but you'll know it's DIFFERENT FROM ANYTHING YOU'VE FELT BEFORE. Everything hurts at once for one thing and it all hurts as bad as you've felt it hurt from anything else before. "Only thing I can figure is why all this other stuff huts just as bad? And why does all that hurt when I've been too frigging sick to do anything for days..."

When you find your self saying that, get tested for Lyme. That's the early bird version before it ever get's REALLY bad. If you remember a long lasting itchy tick bite that got redder than most any other you've had, just go ahead and take the antibiotic and you'll feel better by the time you would have got the test results back.

You don't even want to wonder if you are going to go through that chronic version. I've seen others take a year before they figured it out and they thought it was gonna kill 'em... The tick diseases are no joke.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I've had to remove dozens of ticks from me when I lived in the NE. The amount of time they are left on you has a great deal to do with your chances of getting Lyme disease. I always made it a point to shower after leaving an area known for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a good and true point on the time they are left on.

It can be hard to catch 'em all though and especially the little ones. Mice and rodents can be a pool of Lyme to keep the small ticks infected. I know I've gone turkey hunting and crawl and lay around on the ground and forest all day when I prepare for it, come home and shower right away and not find a one. Next day walk to the burn barrel, toss a bag of trash and light it and walk back to the house. By evening my ankle is itching and there's one of those tiny seed ticks stuck on there.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I have a cousin up in Tennessee that got it. I don't he sought treatment until getting very sick. Almost killed him. He lost both hands and feet either due to the medicine to save his life or the Lyme Disease. Dam right its no joke.

Top Bottom