• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    When I took the class, it was an all day affair. Maybe 10 hours if I remember correctly? I learned a lot, but it seemed like there was more to learn but not enough time to cover everything. That was 7 or so years ago, though.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    When I took the class, it was an all day affair. Maybe 10 hours if I remember correctly? I learned a lot, but it seemed like there was more to learn but not enough time to cover everything. That was 7 or so years ago, though.

Ah yes, the original class length. Those 10 hour classes were 12 hour days for instructors...

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Ditto, only it was 22+ years ago.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The two classes closest to me, of which I am aware, are $69 and $89. The $89 place frequently runs specials for $69. The $69 place runs all sorts of specials, groupons, free classes with puchase of a gun, etc., so it's impossible to know what their average price really is.

I got a solid report of the quality of one of those two places from an unimpeachable source recently. The news was not good. The teacher flew through the material, taught to the test giving specific answers to specific numbered questions, used outdated Power Point slides from many years ago, told time-wasting war stories, stopped the class for most of an hour to allow one of those insurance sellers to sign up nearly everybody, made the test open-everything (meaning you could ask your neighbors or even the instructor for answers), finished the classroom portion in less than 4 hours, etc. Heck, the LTC100 forms were completed, signed off by the instructor, and on the desks when the students filed in. Absolutely no one was going to fail. Period.

Generally speaking, I don't keep up with the quality of teaching in LTC classes. I have no need to know. So I was surprised to learn about this one. I'm guessing the way it was done was similar to the one referenced up-thread that churns 'em out at $20 a head.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    We run $50 these days, but the range portion differs depending on the level of ability and desires of the students. If you want a longer class with shooting instruction, no problem. If you are a GM and want to burn the shooting test in under three minutes, fun times. I refuse to let anyone sell insurance on my range, although I do talk about options using...well, all the available options...if there are questions when I do the 20 second overview of insurance. Anything not on the DPS required subject list adds to the class time, but my instructors and I only schedule one class per day so the time is all yours.

But that is how we do it here ;)

Top Bottom