• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I'm somewhat new to the world of the black rifle. I have been looking to get a basic one to get started with. I was looking fairly cheap mainly at the Dpms Oracle. I looked at Dpms because I have heard a lot of good things about them on here and found that they were quite cheap in comparison to other ARs. I'm also looking at the Oracle because there is a 5.56 version and a 7.62 version. I like to have somewhat matching rifles. I was wondering if yall had any other suggestions for good quality makers for close to $1000. If yall could give me any help as to what to look for in an AR would be awesome.
    Venture Surplus ad

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am looking into purchasing an M4/AR platform for myself as well. I checked out the Bushmaster M4 today at Academy Sports for about $950. It seemed pretty well made. I just hope my AK's dont get jealous.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I am looking into purchasing an M4/AR platform for myself as well. I checked out the Bushmaster M4 today at Academy Sports for about $950. It seemed pretty well made. I just hope my AK's dont get jealous.
    If you dont mind making a drive to Austin, go check out GT Distributors. They have a BUNCH of ARs in their showroom and can really educate you. They are also priced better than Academy. Not many places can make that claim. Academy is good if you know exactly what you need and you dont want the salesman to talk...they usually dont know what they are talking about.

red1027

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    RGV
    As of most of the pervious had said before, I too agree on building one. I am currently in the process of building one but between school and work I havent had time to finish it; summer is out in a couple of weeks so I should finish it by then. It really helps in learning how your rifle works and if indeed it malfunctions, you will have an easier time tracking down the problem.
    just my 2 cents

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah if you dont mind the wait and you want to really get to know the rifle, build it yourself! It gives you the flexibility to have it exactly the way you want it without having to waste money on parts and/or options you are going to chunk anyway. IMHO it takes a lot to really screw up an AR so as long as you stick with the brands mentioned before and don't stray to far off of the reservation you should be okay if you decide to just purchase one.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I finally figured out why all of you guys like AR's...

m4 sopmod..jpg

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    1st get a picture of what you want to end up with, how much you plan to spend and how you want to use the AR15. The clearer the picture the less expensive the build.

For example this was my inspiration for my build: http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/YHM-8200.jpg

I recommend start with a bare receiver that way you get the grip and stock you'd like. I liked the ERGO Grip for example.

Remember to save some budget for optics. There are some good inexpensive clones out there from primaryarms.com

Top Bottom