• ...and so much more!
  • TXAmateur

The Second Son
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2019
    Houston
    Hey guys,

TXAmateur here! Looking for a solid CC with a heavy punch. I'm leaning towards a New Agent. Any other advice?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Do you have any specific preferences such as single action only, double action only, DA/SA, striker, revolver, external safety, ect, or are you open to anything?

If you're dead set on 45 ACP, I would recommend sticking with a slightly larger and heavier gun. The super small, lightweight 45s can be a handful. The Colt New Agent is not a bad choice in that regard.

If you are comfortable carrying a gun without a safety, the Glock 30 or 36 might fit the bill. The 36 is the single stack version and holds 6 rounds, the 30 is the double stack version and holds 10 or 13 rounds. Both are similar in size and weight to the Colt. The G30 is a bit thicker.

The Springfield Armory XDS might also be a good fit. It's a single stack 5-6 rd gun, and has a grip safety. It's thinner than the Colt and the Glocks, but still pretty close in size otherwise. It's a bit lighter than the Colt.

I would highly suggest getting your hands on these guns before buying them. See how they feel, and if possible, how they shoot.

TXAmateur

The Second Son
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2019
    Houston
    Do you have any specific preferences such as single action only, double action only, DA/SA, striker, revolver, external safety, ect, or are you open to anything?

If you're dead set on 45 ACP, I would recommend sticking with a slightly larger and heavier gun. The super small, lightweight 45s can be a handful. The Colt New Agent is not a bad choice in that regard.

If you are comfortable carrying a gun without a safety, the Glock 30 or 36 might fit the bill. The 36 is the single stack version and holds 6 rounds, the 30 is the double stack version and holds 10 or 13 rounds. Both are similar in size and weight to the Colt. The G30 is a bit thicker.

The Springfield Armory XDS might also be a good fit. It's a single stack 5-6 rd gun, and has a grip safety. It's thinner than the Colt and the Glocks, but still pretty close in size otherwise. It's a bit lighter than the Colt.

I would highly suggest getting your hands on these guns before buying them. See how they feel, and if possible, how they shoot.
    I’m pretty open to anything currently except I don’t feel comfortable yet to have something without a safety.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I second the xds. Shot one in 45 and own one in 9mm.

I bought my mother one in 9mm for her birthday a couple of years ago, and I really like it. I've been thinking of getting one myself. My current 9mm CCW is a Bersa Thunder Pro UC, and while it's pretty small, the XDS is easier to conceal and keep concealed in the Summer.

I’m pretty open to anything currently except I don’t feel comfortable yet to have something without a safety.

The some of the S&W M&Ps have a manual safety, so I'd take a look at them. The XDS has grip safety, but that's it. I'm kind of like you in that I strongly prefer a safety, but I feel the grip safety is sufficient as long as you are mindful of it while reholstering (though, a good holster shouldn't cause any safety issues in the first place)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I bought my mother one in 9mm for her birthday a couple of years ago, and I really like it. I've been thinking of getting one myself. My current 9mm CCW is a Bersa Thunder Pro UC, and while it's pretty small, the XDS is easier to conceal and keep concealed in the Summer.
    It’s very easy to hide.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    The M&P45C is a soft shooting 45. Accurate too. There are so many options out there. Needing a mechanical safety is not a priority in my opinion. I favor having more rounds available over the bigger caliber (criminals come in multiples) but again it is preface. If you are an Amateur, why not a 9mm? Find a grip that fits your hand is the biggest thing I suggest when people ask - which gun.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Research! The internet has reviews on pretty much any gun you can think of. Find out the good and the bad on each and make a list of the guns you like. Then find a person that has one or a range that rents, and try them out. The advantage of knowing someone with the type or types of guns you like, is they may have a holster to try out. I didn't think I would like carrying a 1911 until I started to carry one.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Colt Defender, Colt new Agent are both good choices as are the other guns/calibers mentioned. Carried the Defender and now the New Agent...basically the same gun....Defender in stainless Agent in blue.....my Agent has Novak sights, not the trench sight version.......I qualify every two years and qualify with my EDC...always....

Every 7-10 days I oil my slide rails.....1911's will not run well dry like a Glock or XD.....1911's require more attention, more often than some other platforms for EDC....if you are not meticulous about maintenance....carry another platform....

If weight is a consideration (I carry two spare mags in leather OWB at 9 O'clock, gun in leather at 3 O'clock OWB.....) then the .45 is not the way to go.......If you do not shoot well with a compact .45....carry what you shoot well with......and move to the compact 45 when your skills improve....

Defender and New Agent are great guns for carry, but not for everyone......there are other as good if not better choices....personal preference is the major factor for me....

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    My most currently carried CC guns are:
    Colt defender .45acp
    CZ PCR
    S&W 340pd
    S&W 327pc
    S&W 686+
    Colt Mustang Pocketlite
    NAA Pug .22mag
    Colt Combat Commander .45acp
    Colt Delta Elite 10mm
    CZ 97BD

Yeah, I like to rotate depending on needs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Every 7-10 days I oil my slide rails.....1911's will not run well dry like a Glock or XD.....1911's require more attention, more often than some other platforms for EDC....if you are not meticulous about maintenance....carry another platform....

Pure bull with no factual or scientific backing.

Top Bottom