• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texreb66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Cleburne, Texas
    hello all. i just got this spiffo-neato older pistol, that I want to use as a project gun. the hammer's thumb grip was broken off, and i would like to replace it, maybe freshen her up a mite. I don't have alot of experience, but I want to use it as a platform for jumping off.
    Any hints? i know where I am getting the parts from, I just would like a schematic, advice on tools(what might make it easier, and would i need a mainspring vise or any specialty tools?)
    The cylinder release is not smooth in it's release, so I wonder what might effect that, too?
    Any help, advice, opinions would be appreciated.
    Gun Zone Deals

texreb66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Cleburne, Texas
    They don't have what I need. Like I said, I did find the parts elsewhere, but until I talk to them, i don't think they have a full blown schematic, besides what is in their catalog of parts. I looked at numrich this a.m., and they have very little. I just can't be the only person in America to have Llama pistols.

texreb66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Cleburne, Texas
    Ok, since I am not getting much response, let me try another tact. On wikipedia, it states that this pistols was copied from the S & W N frames. Would anyone know if parts are compatible??????????????????? probably not, but it is worth looking into?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    One of the issues may be that Llama's are not generally considered guns one wants to own for any longer than it takes to sell it to someone that doesn't know any better. I am NOT taking a shot at you, my friend - but you DO need to know that if I owned a Llama, it'd be up for sale so fast you'd think someone hollered "FREE BEER"!!!

texreb66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Cleburne, Texas
    Well, I have owned a Llama .45 for 8 years, and it is one of the best shooters I have owned. Now, it DOES have it's problems that you wouldn't normally get with a Colt or S & W, but I have read people having probs with those, too. For a cheap style pistol, I like it. This .357, I just have to see if I can work it out. If not, then it'll go on it's path. I really do appreciate the comments. But, I have to make do with what I have. At least it's not a Lorcin/Jennings/Davis lol. I've had those and well........................I didn't keep 'em long.
    By the by, I did contact a Smith rep and they say their parts are not compatible with Llama. Just more useless info to put in your brainbuckets.
    Thanks Guys.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Thanks for not taking umbrage to the remarks - I did NOT intend to belittle your gun, but I do find folks that don't realize that they're simply not worth putting a whole lot of money into 'em. Did some searching with some of the more obscure sites I haunt w/o success for a trigger for ya. THAT is gonna be the biggest problem - finding the part!
    I have an heirloom gun carried by my Grandfather during Prohibition. Every reference book I own warns that it is NOT safe to shoot. It's carried that way in my gun inventory, and the barrel has a written note detailing the safety concerns. Having said that, it WILL be passed on to my sons, because the value is in its' history.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I have at the moment 8 Llama pistols of various types. They are all fine handguns.
    Some of the older ones especially are the equal to anything made at the time, including Colt.
    I don't have any of the revolvers, but I think they are enough like a S&W that you can use the same detail strip instructions.
    Also, IIRC there was a multi-part article on Brownell's website detailing a buildup of a Llama revolver.

I guess you found this GunWeek.com

hawgnutts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Here
    To texreb66:

Could you please tell me where you were able to get the hammer for your Llama Comanche .357 and for how much? My brother needs one.

Thanks very much,

hawgnutts

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I have an heirloom gun carried by my Grandfather during Prohibition. Every reference book I own warns that it is NOT safe to shoot. It's carried that way in my gun inventory, and the barrel has a written note detailing the safety concerns. Having said that, it WILL be passed on to my sons, because the value is in its' history.

I have a couple guns like that. I've given up on restoring any of them to firing condition, and they don't take up much room in the safe. I know my ancestors on that side of the family were poor farmers from way back, and evidently they bought their guns according to their wealth. A couple guns that I can't shoot are worth keeping for the sentimental value, and one for it's historical value.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I did own a Llama Comanche III for many years. It was the first new gun I ever bought. I didn't know any better. It was a good shooter for two or three years. Then the timing went off and it would shave rounds. No amount of smithing would make it right for more than a few dozen rounds. It became a safe queen and I sold it. I stood next to a guy to qualify once, he had a Llama. Every time he fired, I got hit with the shaved pieces. I finally backed away and stated that I could not stand next to that gun. The range-master looked at the revolver and told its owner it would not be fired on his range. A friend of my kids brought me one that he wanted me to "fix". The crane was so bent that the cylinder would not open. I don't remember what a new crane cost but it was more than I was willing to pay.
    Bottom line, if you are looking to just learn from the gun its as good a platform as any. I doubt you will get your investment back, except in knowledge. And that to an interested person is worth more than money.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Parts for you Comanche and other Llamas.

Two excellent sources hang out in the Gunboards Spanish Pistol forum.

LarryH lives in Texas and has a stockpile of used Lllama parts at reasonable prices.
    STAR lives in Zaragoza Spain and has a full stock of NOS and repro Star pistol parts, plus parts for llamas and Astras. He ships quick and cheap, takes electronic payment

Both of these are nice people, enthusiasts who like to keep these old guns running. They are also generous with technical help.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Well, I have owned a Llama .45 for 8 years, and it is one of the best shooters I have owned. Now, it DOES have it's problems that you wouldn't normally get with a Colt or S & W, but I have read people having probs with those, too. For a cheap style pistol, I like it. This .357, I just have to see if I can work it out. If not, then it'll go on it's path. I really do appreciate the comments. But, I have to make do with what I have. At least it's not a Lorcin/Jennings/Davis lol. I've had those and well........................I didn't keep 'em long.
    By the by, I did contact a Smith rep and they say their parts are not compatible with Llama. Just more useless info to put in your brainbuckets.
    Thanks Guys.

I got to admit I have a Jennings 9mm--had it for long time--you can't shoot more than two rounds without a jam. I just keep it in the safe because I don't feel I could sell or give it toanyone with a good consiences(sp).

John

Top Bottom