• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Is there any truth to the statement that rounds with light weight bullets cause extra wear and tear to a pistol versus rounds with standard and heavier weight bullets? The rounds in question would be standard so no hot rounds for this comparison.
    Venture Surplus ad

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Do you mean, for example, does 115gr 9mm cause more wear than 147gr 9mm? Because I've never heard that one.

Yes that I what I am referring to. One example I have read in a few places is that .40 S&W in around the 150 to 160 grain weights cause accelerated wear and tear versus the standard 180 grain weight. I assume the higher velocity causes extra wear on the pistol? Maybe the slide is going back faster?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I would think that all that is part of the engineering part of research & development in a particular firearm. Just like a lighter bullet might not stabilize in certain barrel length & twist unless the load is manipulated.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’m gonna say no...wear of a barrel in my opinion is from high pressure plus smaller diameter bullets. Ie, why large bore rifles have pretty good barrel life.

I wouldn’t consider 9x19 to 45 be high enough pressure in the diam. It is to cause extreme wear. I would guess you would need super hot machine gun ammo to do that.

Last edited:

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Never heard that either on more wear and tear. Although I have heard that some pistols are more finicky with the lighter weights and function better with a little heavier, i.e., 115 vs. 124 in 9mm. YMMV.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've been told by a much more knowledgeable gun person than I, that it can be a problem. We were specifically talking about older .357 S&W revolvers. Apparently it is fairly well known that hot 125g's are much harder on the forcing cone than hot 158g's. I took him at his word and didn't research it further.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I've been told by a much more knowledgeable gun person than I, that it can be a problem. We were specifically talking about older .357 S&W revolvers. Apparently it is fairly well known that hot 125g's are much harder on the forcing cone than hot 158g's. I took him at his word and didn't research it further.
    I forgot about this. I can’t remember where the hell I heard or read about this but with 357 mag I recall some truth to this.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

I forgot about this. I can’t remember where the hell I heard or read about this but with 357 mag I recall some truth to this.

I think y’all are referring to what the revolver community refers to as flame cutting.

Pretty sure this is a revolver only issue, and of that type, magnum loads are most susceptible to this phenomenon.

The problem is the gap between the cylinder and barrel leaves room for the ignition gases to expand around the forcing cone, eating away at the metal.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I think y’all are referring to what the revolver community refers to as flame cutting.
    I don’t believe we are as flame cutting is just escaping gas cutting the underside of the frame between the face of the forcing cone and face of the cylinder.

Flame cutting isn’t an issue in my mind. It’s self limiting I believe. Per ops question and what young gun said, maybe that higher pressure and velocity in a 357 mag can cause significant barrel wear when compared to a little slower more heavy loads? I’m just wondering

Last edited:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    It is a standard problem in rifle, called throat erosion. Due to longer burn time of the powder and quick exit of light bullets. Slower powders of mag loads can do the same for pistol.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    A gunsmith told me in relation to a 100 year old Luger that I should only fire standard pressure light weight bullets. The idea being a faster lighter round gets out of the barrel with less built up pressure than the heavy rounds.
    I have seen an antique Colt .38 with an oval burnt into the top frame from use. With regular use we figure it only had maybe 20 more years before it was a wallhanger

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I believe this is mainly limited to S&W revolvers, but light ammo loaded to high velocities can eventually crack the forcing cone. A steady diet of hotly loaded 125gr .357 Mag or 180gr .44 Mag is not recommended.

I have never heard of 115gr or 124gr causing more wear than 147gr 9mm though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don’t believe we are as flame cutting is just escaping gas cutting the underside of the frame between the face of the forcing cone and face of the cylinder.

Flame cutting isn’t an issue in my mind. It’s self limiting I believe. Per ops question and what young gun said, maybe that higher pressure and velocity in a 357 mag can cause significant barrel wear when compared to a little slower more heavy loads? I’m just wondering

Flame cutting is an issue.

S&W recommends against using light bullets in 357 Mag loads in their lightweight revolvers because of it.

The fancy metals used are more susceptible to damage than steel.

The S&W PC revolver I had had a piece of metal attached to protect the frame from flame cutting.

It's a thing.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Flame cutting is an issue.

S&W recommends against using light bullets in 357 Mag loads in their lightweight revolvers because of it.

The fancy metals used are more susceptible to damage than steel.

The S&W PC revolver I had had a piece of metal attached to protect the frame from flame cutting.

It's a thing.
    That makes sense.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom