• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donnie Bell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    I am not new to hunting by any means; however, I have not hunted in several years and have never hunted with my .22 rifle ever. I am new to Texas and I have done as much research as I can possible do, I have googled until the cows come home and searched the Texas Wildlife and Game website as much as I can, and I can't find ANY information as to whether or not I can use my .22 rifle to legally hunt squirrel and rabbit. I know that this is the most popular weapon to use for it, but for public hunting lands, is it legal to use as I can't find ANY documentation on this subject.
    Lynx Defense

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Welcome to TGT. We've got a guy who thinks he know everything that'll be along shortly to quote the law. Me, I'm native TX, shot rabbits & squirrels w .22. Only public hunting I ever did in TX was dove on Corps of Engineers land. But that experience is limited - only since 1956.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Not an issue. In fact, the Texas Parks & Wildlife Commission recommends it for small game...

copy_of_RecommendedCalibersforGame400pixels.gif

Source: https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/online-course/firearms-and-ammunition-1/bullets

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The only restriction I could find was for pellet guns...

Pellet guns and other air guns are not legal for the take of any game bird or game animal other than squirrel. To be lawful for the take of squirrel, an air rifle must be designed to be fired from the shoulder and use the force of a spring, air, or other non-ignited compressed gas to expel a projectile of at least .177 caliber (4.5mm) at a minimum muzzle velocity of 600 feet per second.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/means-and-methods

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Lastly...note the above link also states "white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber."

Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:
    • white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
    • shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
    • pellet guns and other air guns are not legal for the take of any game bird or game animal other than squirrel. To be lawful for the take of squirrel, an air rifle must be designed to be fired from the shoulder and use the force of a spring, air, or other non-ignited compressed gas to expel a projectile of at least .177 caliber (4.5mm) at a minimum muzzle velocity of 600 feet per second.
    • fully automatic firearms are not legal.
    • a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).
    • Silencers may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.
    Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/means-and-methods

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    My uncle claims he took a deer with a .22lr took several shots but the deer dropped. This was 40 some odd years ago. Remington Nylon 66. Great gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    .22LR has been used to poach deer for decades.

Not saying it's a good round for deer hunting.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I'd say be careful what you use to dispatch a deer too. A warden could see a .30 hole in the shoulder and a .22 in the skull. Who's to say you didn't shoot a dead deer with a .30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnie Bell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Welcome to TGT. We've got a guy who thinks he know everything that'll be along shortly to quote the law. Me, I'm native TX, shot rabbits & squirrels w .22. Only public hunting I ever did in TX was dove on Corps of Engineers land. But that experience is limited - only since 1956.
    Thank you very much everyone, I saw the same thing you guys did on the Texas Wildlife Gami website, I guess I just didn't read between the lines, LMAO....Thank you everyone for such speedy responses.

texanite15

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2019
    Houston, Tx
    Youre good to go for small game. Its whats recommended and everyone uses it so there's nothing wrong with that. But i see what you mean in terms of finding where its written down. Smart idea just to check

Top Bottom