Capitol Armory ad

kinda a dumb question about getting into 40 cal.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Ok guys I have the dillon xl650... I had to work out some kinks but I love the damn thing. I have it setup for 9mm or .223 and I HATE swapping between the two. I shoot mostly 9mm pistol and really got into it when I started shooting suppressed 9mm. I am breaking the mold now though and getting rid of the lone wolf 9mm barrel and going to the 40 cal barrel.

Before you guys talk smoke here is my thought process. The 40 cal is a larger diameter bullet yet uses the exact same load for 180grn sub and my 9mm 147 grn sub sonic load. Contrary to most people belief most 180grn 40 cal purchased at the store is sub out of shorter pistol barrels. Soooo I am going to start loading sub 40 cal as I just want to do it. There is not a ton of suppressed 40 cal info out there and I would like to play with some loads and see what all the NON-hype is about.

Ok so now for my question.. Should I spend the probably $100+ to get my dillon setup to take 40 cal and have to switch back and forth all the time or should I just get a dedicated 40 cal turret press, square deal, or lower priced progressive. I already have dies so those are not including in my expense.

I know dillon is the best but nothing chaps my ass more than having to switch the damn 650 up all the time.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Ummm not sure I have any of the correct answers.. however, a Lee single stage can be picked up for under $50 and a Lee progressive for around $100. As you already reload you probably have most of the other things needed. IMO an inexpensive progressive would be the way to go.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    If you get a dedicated tool head, it is pretty fast and easy to change over, especially if you don't have to change out the primer set up, from small to large. You can change cal's in less them 5 min. Cost you about $250.00ish, including the dies and you are good to go.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ummmm....I'm trying to figure out what all the "hassle" is in converting calibers. I slide one head out, another in, change primers if needed an' I'm checkin' loads/lengths in 10 minutes or less. Now, I DO have a dedicated powder measure on each setup (40, 38, 357, 380, 45), so that definitely makes things faster - but that was the purpose in buying it that way - one station, fast.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Well I wasn't very clear TXredneck but I don't have the extra powder set ups or head meaning I have to re adjust all dies, remove bell powder dump, reset plates, primer if there is a change there, change out the other small parts. It takes me 30 minutes before I am actually pumping out ammo. Someone above said another $250 and I am there.. which is true but for that price I could get a dedicated lee progressive and spend the extra $100 on the strong mount, roller handle, a have a little left over for some other small parts id like to upgrade.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    True - but now you got another reloader to locate on the bench....I've got one press, buncha heads. Bite the bullet an' set it up the way it's designed to be - you'll enjoy it a LOT more!!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Well I wasn't very clear TXredneck but I don't have the extra powder set ups or head meaning I have to re adjust all dies, remove bell powder dump, reset plates, primer if there is a change there, change out the other small parts. It takes me 30 minutes before I am actually pumping out ammo. Someone above said another $250 and I am there.. which is true but for that price I could get a dedicated lee progressive and spend the extra $100 on the strong mount, roller handle, a have a little left over for some other small parts id like to upgrade.

Do yourself a favor and get another tool head and powder measure. To hell with redoing dies man!

Once you get the heads setup, all you gotta do to switch between 40 and 9 is undo the set screw and swap base plates. Depending on how you have your case feed setup you'll have to interchange the little aluminum feed ramp. All of that takes 1 min. to do.

The only reason I personally would get another machine is to facilitate loading .45 and 9mm, due to the primer change-out, but there again, all I have to do is buy a second priming setup and I can ninja swap with 3 bolts.

Top Bottom