• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Over a year ago I bought a bunch of reloading dies (and a ton of other stuff) at an estate sale.

I already own most of the common calibers, 9, 40, 45, 223 and 308. This lot had those, and for some, like 9mm, 357/38, and 40 there were 3 different sets each...

While some of the dies are useful (lots of neck sizing dies I didn't have, different seating dies, collet pullers, etc) there are quite a few I really don't see myself using, such as 7.62x54 russian, 6.5x55, 6.5 Gibbs, and several others.

My quandary is that I am inclined to hoarding. My wife is amazing at keeping me aware of this (not in a bitchy way, at all) and helps us keep the level of flotsam down. However, my reloading and gun rooms are exclusively my domain, and she almost never goes in them...

It's neat to have a bunch of dies. I look at pics of other dudes reloading rooms and I'm like, "COOL!" but stepping back a bit, I really don't see me ever needing to use a 7.62x54 russian (or some of those other calibers), and even if someone happened to give me a rifle in that caliber, or if I traded for one or bought one at an estate sale, I really think I would sell it off or trade it away...

Next, I can't imagine ruining my dillon carbide pistol dies that are already on my 1050 tool heads.

So should I keep the extra dies, in case I somehow lose some of my main caliber dies?

And should I keep the dies for calibers I don't own, and am not likely at all to purchase?

What do y'all do in this type of situation.

Thanks in advance,
    Robert Williams
    San Angelo, Wet and green, for once!
    Target Sports

Attachments

• 3L6CDxQVRzmDzXPQVNYtrw.jpg
      3L6CDxQVRzmDzXPQVNYtrw.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 238
    • Aah8cVAGTRK85y%NS09JXQ.jpg
      Aah8cVAGTRK85y%NS09JXQ.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 257
    • tADDYfIyS2aQZLd8Dw3JPg.jpg
      tADDYfIyS2aQZLd8Dw3JPg.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 250

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I as well have dies for chambering I do not own or in a few cases an extra set or two due to picking up a bulk used purchase.

Now with that said, I have some duplicates with a purpose. For some chambering where I have an AR and a bolt action chambered in the same cartridge or two or more bolt action rifles, I may have dies adjusted differently. Thus I may have a set-up for the Dillon and one for the Redding T-7. I have multiple turrets for the T-7 to allow me to set up for 2 or 3 rifles/bullet combinations.

Also, sometimes when we have ammo shortages, I do reload for a few select friends so they have plinking/practice ammo.

Extra dies down the road could be a commodity.

BTW, I get the same comments from my wife about being “overstocked” on some items. Good thing she doesn’t go into the shop....

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'm a firm believer that one should keep all the dies and other equipment for handloading. If a die is sold and then you end up needing it 'cause you got a deal on a gun (new, used, in-trade, etc.), then you'd just have to buy a die that you once had. New dies are like everything else, they are not getting any cheaper. Just my two bits!

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Ok. I have a weak mind: I'm keeping them... Next question: Do y'all lube them when keeping them in their boxes? I sprayed them down w/remmy gun oil...that should be enough to ward off the oxidation monsters, huh?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'd sell the extras.

Could make somebody in a bind very happy especially if you don't need them.

Remoil works well at keeping rust away. One treatment should be all they ever need.

tbark44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    nowhere
    I sometime use my extras to swap for stuff i need , there are calibers i have no intention of ever loading again deal or no deal on the gun i get in trade or what ever usualy those are a means to get stuff i want as well , t

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Yeah... about that... If I was going to sell that particular set of dies for that price, I'd find a retired or disabled enlisted man to give them to :)
    Hello, retired enlisted man here.

Actually I just assumed the Dillon dies were what you had on your Dillon press.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Hello, retired enlisted man here.

Actually I just assumed the Dillon dies were what you had on your Dillon press.
    I mostly do have dillon dies on the tool heads, but I've made a personal...vow?...too strong...realization? that reloading 357 sig will never be in my personal future...

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I've got Dillon dies on the .45 ACP and the 9mm toolheads. I need to get 10mm, 44 Mag, and .38/.357 Dillon dies.

I've also got a set of Dillon .38 Super dies, I need to get a gun for those. I've got the 650 conversion kit for the .45 Colt and a set of Hornady dies, I need a gun for those too.

SWMBO has said that I'm not buying any more guns this year.

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    Over a year ago I bought a bunch of reloading dies (and a ton of other stuff) at an estate sale.

I already own most of the common calibers, 9, 40, 45, 223 and 308. This lot had those, and for some, like 9mm, 357/38, and 40 there were 3 different sets each...

While some of the dies are useful (lots of neck sizing dies I didn't have, different seating dies, collet pullers, etc) there are quite a few I really don't see myself using, such as 7.62x54 russian, 6.5x55, 6.5 Gibbs, and several others.

My quandary is that I am inclined to hoarding. My wife is amazing at keeping me aware of this (not in a bitchy way, at all) and helps us keep the level of flotsam down. However, my reloading and gun rooms are exclusively my domain, and she almost never goes in them...

It's neat to have a bunch of dies. I look at pics of other dudes reloading rooms and I'm like, "COOL!" but stepping back a bit, I really don't see me ever needing to use a 7.62x54 russian (or some of those other calibers), and even if someone happened to give me a rifle in that caliber, or if I traded for one or bought one at an estate sale, I really think I would sell it off or trade it away...

Next, I can't imagine ruining my dillon carbide pistol dies that are already on my 1050 tool heads.

So should I keep the extra dies, in case I somehow lose some of my main caliber dies?

And should I keep the dies for calibers I don't own, and am not likely at all to purchase?

What do y'all do in this type of situation.

Thanks in advance,
    Robert Williams
    San Angelo, Wet and green, for once!
    u got gibbs dies. u been around a while. I read his reloading
    book least 25 years ago. very interesting.
    justme gbot tum

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom