Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    It seems like you get everything you need up front in one package with Kamado Joe whereas the BGE makes you peice it together
    Military Camp

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    The reviews I've read and a friend that owns one seem to favor the Kamado. I almost bought the Kamado a few months back but held off as I don't get much time to cook.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Kamodo by far. Big Green Egg is an established brand with high marketing. The Kamodo comes with everything needed, is easier to clean, and performs the same. Nothing wrong with the Egg but I prefer to not have to buy another hundred some dollars in stuff after I've already dumped 1+ grand on a smoker.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I have a BG Egg and it has performed well for me. Kamado Joe makes a nice ceramic smoker and they get good reviews. But, they are are manufactured in China. BG Eggs are manufactured in Mexico. I don't want a smoker manufactured in China. Too much crap in their products which I don't want inside my body.

Primo has the best designed ceramic smoker IMO. I believe they are still manufactured in Georgia. Make sure you review the ceramic warranty. Some are lifetime and some less. I think Primo is 25 years compared to BG Egg's lifetime warranty on the ceramic.

Which ever brand you decide on, call around and see who will sell you everything you need (stand/cart, side tables, nest, and etc) as a package and discount. You can save a lot of money that way. I got my BG Egg smoker from Premier Grilling in Plano. Their pricing for a package was comparable to a Kamado Joe.

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    If I spend that kind of coin its gonna be made out of steel.

One from China, the other from Mexico and the one I looked at over at ACE HW MSRP was $1999.

We got friends and family that live in Mexico, wife went to school there and lived in Mexico City. Bet we can pick one up down there for a few $100 bucks. Its just fire proof ceramic, no more, no less...

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Steel smokers are good. Thats what the pros use. I have the large BG Egg and got everything I needed as a package for less than grand. Even including spices.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Just because something is made in China doesn't mean its crap. Believe it or not, China does have higher end production. If you aren't buying it because its from China, then that is your decision but to base something purely based on where it is made doesn't indicate quality. That being said, if I can have the same thing and made in the good ol USA, then I will pay the extra for the same product given the quality is the same.

As I said, both are fantastic but I give the Kamodo the edge since it comes with everything and is easier to clean, the tray just pulls out.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Webber has an egg style cooker too.
    its called a Summit.
    I like Webber and no doubt about customer service on them

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Remember the drywall problem with high levels of sulfer? Or the lead paint in the Mattel toys? Those came from China. They have a long history of selling dangerous products to the US and EU markets. Usually not a problem to my health if I'm not eating the product. But I decided a long time ago I wouldn't buy a smoker or any cookware that come from China. Just one man decision to protect his health as much as possible.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Hey , its a free country. If you don’t want to buy one, then you got that right brother!

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Big Green Egg pure hype. No better than one in the link below IMHO. Both of the above are fancy flower pot cookers susceptible to flying shrapnel from the mower.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-16620-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue/dp/B00GJEPTJS

There's a reason why Akorn is cheap. You really want a smoker with a painted finish? Watch how quickly it starts to rush after the temp gets above 450 degrees. And when your learning on a smoker, that will happen many times. The Akorn Kamado has known longevity problems like any painted steel grill. A BG Egg, Kamado Joe, Primo Gill or a stainless steel smoker will be around years longer than any Akorn smoker. You pay for what you get.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    My Iphone and the Macbook Pro I'm typing this on has never given me any issues. I believe both are made in China.

Yea, but are you eating your iPhone or Macbook? I've got both and they are fine. Read my post again. No cookware or smokers made in China for me.

yakdung

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Texas
    There's a reason why Akorn is cheap. You really want a smoker with a painted finish? Watch how quickly it starts to rush after the temp gets above 450 degrees. And when your learning on a smoker, that will happen many times. The Akorn Kamado has known longevity problems like any painted steel grill. A BG Egg, Kamado Joe, Primo Gill or a stainless steel smoker will be around years longer than any Akorn smoker. You pay for what you get.
    Read my post again. One flying object from a mower, and you will be overcome with instant regret. I own two Acorn's and they are just fine. Granted you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom