• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    So I had recently purchased a springer 1911a1 and took it out to the range and with my bear claws that i have i got hammer bit. so i bought a new beaver tail grip safety. I live here in north Austin/cedar park and had looked up a few gunsmiths to do the install. after doing a little searching I found Ken Carlson at heritage firearms in North Austin off of 183/Anderson mill. Hes a pretty good guy, friendly and isn't outrageously overpriced. I talked to a few others and they want twice as much as he does. If you need any work done I recommend giving him a call.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Do you have your gun back yet? If not, I wouldn't recommend him until you do so you can comment on time, quality, and function. Just sayin......

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ss-14108764-picnicBasket.jpg

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    hey boo boo there is a guy in austin cant think of his name but he is on congress,
    havent used him yet but the prices seem to be ok

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    yeah i do, and he did a great job. I am a little smarter than the average bear. thanks
    I didn't mean any offense by my comments. You just said "recently", so I didn't know if you had it back yet. I have heard horror stories about time at a gunsmith, and didn't know. Glad to hear the good review. How long did it take and how much did it cost (if you don't mind me asking)? Did it need fitting, or were you just not comfortable doing it yourself? I know there are many drop in parts available for the 1911, and that can be hit or miss at times.

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    It was a wilson combat full fit grip safety not a drop in. I'm pretty new to 1911's so of course I wasnt too comfortable. He charged me $95 after it was all said and done and it took about 8 days. which i think is pretty good considering he had several people in front of me.

daddy45acp

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    central texas
    My John Daly 1911 will drop the hammer without depressing the grip safety. Glad it was unloaded the first time I saw it do this. Looks like the back of the skeletal hammer is contacting the grip safety when in full cock. What do I do?!

ATXzombie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    AUSTIN TEXAS
    Ken does really good work, i just picked my 1911 up from him tonight. he did a bobtail on it. the wait was very reasonable and the price was good. he has worked on my 1911 before so i trust him

texas_titans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Austin
    Fantastic! I was wondering about a Good gunsmith in Austin. My bud went to him to have his M&P compact looked at(put night sights and trigger things) he recommended him too! I'll have my 1911 looked at too. I want to have a short trigger put in, a new main spring housing and fiber obtic sights put in. Maybe some night sight put in instead.

You guys rock!

Rock on

Top Bottom