• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C_GONZO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    So I am about to be officially retired as of the 1st of May. I retired from the U.S Air Force where I was a cop for the last 13 years. Oh how I wish my base credentials would cross over into the civilian side of the world, but since they don't I am having to either go back to an academy to become a civilian cop or take up a new trade. I also have my Class B CDL, but haven't had any civilian driving time in awhile...What to do is now the question. Thinking on going back to school to pick up some computer courses or something....Ideas or suggestions always welcome..
    Capitol Armory ad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So you're not TCLEOSE-certified? Do you still have any of your GI Bill left? You might want to consider it, Alamo Area Colleges offer a program that might work.

Didn't SAPD come to your TAP course? They were at mine, but like I said it's been a few years. That department is also hiring but you will have to go through their academy regardless. I volunteer to help train cadets and there are a lot of retired military types going through that program. It's a good department if you're thinking about staying in law enforcement.

Otherwise, I can think of much unless you're willing to head south to the oil fields. Do you have a clearance? That would help, but even work in the government has gotten tight over the past couple of years. I've been a contractor since retiring in 2006, and been lucky to keep constant employment ever since but it's not been easy. I finished a second grad degree to keep my company vested in me, these days you have to do everything you can to keep yourself competitive!

I hope you find something soon!

Cheers! M2

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    TDCJ (TX Dept of Criminal Justice) always needs Corrections Officers. Go to the TDCJ website and get the particulars. People either love it or hate it. I didn't like it but my ex lady friend is going to retire from TDCJ. The pay scales are online.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/

Flash

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Um,

Your "Aim High" credentials should get you in the door of any private security agency, especially those with jobs in the hell hole.

Otherwise, go to school and get credentialed as a private investigator.

I worked with an Army artillery SFC who retired at age 38 and got a job in a small town PD after completing the academy. It was a good fit.

What does it take to be a "gate guard" at any of the many military installations in Dirty 'Ol SA??

Good luck & thanks for hanging in there until retirement!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Last edited:

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    If your thinking of going back to school the Oil Industry is having a hrad time finding CAD designers. just my $.02

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    i accidently turned in my only copy of member 4 dd214. i have copy two, would any of these be able to take this? or would they be able to get it for me? i would like to do an academy.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...However, there are some government jobs being advertised, such as...

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/342357700
    Good catch.

C_GONZO - Any GS 1810 or 1801 series job tends to be fascinating, even if all you carry is a Commission. If you want the badge and gun, an 1811 series may be do-able without further education, depending on the agency. Also, unless it just makes your skin crawl, GS 1169 jobs are secure as all get out...but you have to be a proper "fit" to the position or it'll drive you nuts. Given your background, you'd probably ace the interview and that's where the hiring really happens.

Just a few thoughts.

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    What to do is now the question. Thinking on going back to school to pick up some computer courses or something....Ideas or suggestions always welcome..

Fish and shoot is that is an option.. If you want to get some computer courses, I would suggest contacting an advisor from San Antonio Community College to plan what degree or certificate to get.

Top Bottom