Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    She says that’s a common interview question?
    Asking oddball questions for IT positions was a major fad a few years ago. Thankfully, few places still do just the weird questions. The fad left a legacy, though; it's still common for tech industry interviewers to include an off-the-wall question just to see how quickly candidates can think sideways.

I have no idea to what extent the practice infected other industries.
    Texas SOT

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    My wife works in IT, and she tells me about oddball interview questions like “how do you make a PB&J sandwich?”

Maybe the interviewer was hungry?

Or, upon reflection, maybe they wanted to see if you could describe a technical process clearly and understandably.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    My wife works in IT, and she tells me about oddball interview questions like “how do you make a PB&J sandwich?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't interviewed for a ton of jobs but I've had my fair share with large companies and I've never had any of those off the wall type of questions. The closest was a managing partner at a Big 4 that asked me "Say I gave you $250,000 to start a business. What would it be?"

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I haven't interviewed for a ton of jobs but I've had my fair share with large companies and I've never had any of those off the wall type of questions. The closest was a managing partner at a Big 4 that asked me "Say I gave you $250,000 to start a business. What would it be?"

Bratwurst truck.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX

I would make Jump to Conclusions Mats

WholeGrippingIvorygull-max-1mb.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...'ve never had any of those off the wall type of questions. The closest was a managing partner at a Big 4 that asked me "Say I gave you $250,000 to start a business. What would it be?"

The only oddball question I had was in 2016 with Cognizant, a digital services consulting company. I had an interview with one hiring manager who passed my resume to one of their LoB execs who walked up to me, introduced himself and said let’s talk.

He asked a couple of brief qualifying questions, then asked, “What’s your passion?”

And I told him, no hesitation, it was aviation. The. I asked why he asked that question.

His response was his belief that if you could not articulate your passion quickly, in a well thought out manner, he did not believe you cared about anything.

Offered me a team lead role on the spot. I deferred though as I was placing my bets on an opportunity with my current company.

My only other ‘different’ interview was with the COO for Robbins-Gioia. We were both alumni of Troy University. Spent the whole interview on who we knew. Found out we had lots of 2d degree connections. That was enough for him to recruit me, but since most of his opportunities would be in DC, it wasn’t a good location fit for me.

We still connect a couple times a year, just to catch up.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Hmm, back in 1990, the city I went to work for had me take the psychological test (forget what they call it) and there were a ton of questions dealing with your sexuality and proclivities. The review board was awesome. People you didn't know from adam calling you a stupid POS. Oh how times have changed.......

The most current interview with a global company was way easier. 3 interviews over a months time and boom, got the job. Boss did ask me what would happen in a situation and I guess he liked my answer. I think my physical appearance threw him off. I knew I was in a good spot because no one that interviewed me wore a tie and I had a suit on. I see all these guys driving in a monkey suit and in TX in the summer, that is a killer.

Top Bottom