C0F641D4-297A-4E2F-B768-75B84504911C.gif
      535.7 KB · Views: 115

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When asked what you think you're best qualities are, a decent answer that usually works well is, "I show up early, keep my mouth shut, and do what I'm told". That's what I used to tell my high school coop students.

(These were 17/18 yr. old students applying for mostly lower end type jobs).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Early on, ask about their needs, file these items away. As you later respond, ensure you cover the parts of your background/experience/skills that address their needs.

Actively listen and ask follow up questions.

Lumberjack98

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Katy
    I’m 24. I was not working. I had just moved from ME to TX after graduating from college with a bachelors degree in accounting/finance and a minor in marketing.@Sam7sf

May I ask why you aren't pursuing a career in accounting or finance?

I graduated with an accounting degree, but not a very good GPA. I went to work for a small local accounting firm after college as an auditor and worked my way up and then moved into financial and sec reporting and obtained my CPA license along the way. There are a tremendous amount of opportunities within the accounting field. Accounting isn't my favorite thing, however it is interesting, I'm good at it and I get to work with a lot of great people.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    May I ask why you aren't pursuing a career in accounting or finance?

I graduated with an accounting degree, but not a very good GPA. I went to work for a small local accounting firm after college as an auditor and worked my way up and then moved into financial and sec reporting and obtained my CPA license along the way. There are a tremendous amount of opportunities within the accounting field. Accounting isn't my favorite thing, however it is interesting, I'm good at it and I get to work with a lot of great people.

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions, I appreciate the feedback.

To answer your question: I am no pursuing a career in finance because I cannot find any jobs that are entry level. It’ll list entry level on the ad but then you scroll down and it says 2+ years of experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Research the company you are interviewing with. Research the position, if able. Dress appropriately for the company. MAKE SURE YOUR SOCKS MATCH. Ask questions. A lot of of honest questions. Remember, you are interviewing them as well. NEVER mention money first. Be honest and forthright with your answers. Be prepared to explain your timeline. Be prepared to explain, or tell about a situation you screwed up, but was able to fix. Since both companies see to be people related, stress, but not in a pushy way, any people skills. Be self confident, but not cocky. Yes sir, Yes ma'am/Mr., Ms., Mrs. is of utmost necessity. Have a a sense of humor about some things. Don't be afraid to put some thought in your answers. As the interviewer, I would much rather you take your time answering my question(s) wholly, honestly, and completely the first time, than going back over them multiple times. Which by the way, got a file 13 from me for that resume'/person. Show a willingness, hopefully it is, to learn, interact with others, be a team player, and bust your ass. Not a kiss-up though.

Lastly, as mentioned, leave the phone alone!

Relax and be yourself. They obviously saw something they liked, otherwise they would not have contacted you.

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    Some good suggestions here. I used this site to help me during my last job search:

https://theinterviewguys.com/

Be well put together. I'd recommend dressing slightly above what your interviewer might be wearing or the company average.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    In a broader sense, interviews and just to confirm a company wants to hire you. They make the initial decision based on your resume, which is why it is critical to ensure you have a strong one.

One of the biggest red flags is time gaps. A company can understand a person not working for a month or two, or three at the most; but more than that and it gives the impression that you are not wanted. If for any reason you find yourself in that situation, find something to do (school, accreditation, even volunteer work) to account for the time. Never forget the best way to find a job is to already have one. Don't wait for that "perfect opportunity," if necessary accept something that gets the bills paid and leaves you a little extra. You should always be looking for your next job no matter how happy you are in your current one.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't realize that some of the more common avenues for employment (online services, job fairs, etc.) are not going to get you a well-paying white-collar jobs. Those jobs happen through contacts, which are important to make and maintain. Reach out to those in the industry for advice, it's those relationships that will best help you find a good job; and once you have one make sure to still maintain those networks. I learn more about new jobs through my contacts, and do my best to help others when I can because you never know when you may need a favor in return.

As for interviews, it's pretty simple....be confident, but not arrogant. Be honest, and don't fake it. Be friendly but professional. Do your homework beforehand, ask questions and don't talk too much. Think before you answer, and be brief. Don't try to impress them with endless chatter.

And in the end, remember it's better to be lucky than good; but you can make the odds in your favor!

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Ask questions that show you’ve studied the job and the company and that you’re actually interested in the job.

Don’t be nervous, there are a lot of jobs out there right now. You’re using this interview to find out if this job is a good fit for you.

Try to make a friendly connection with your interviewer. But remember to stay professional. People tend to hire people they like.

If possible, try and meet with your potential boss. HR interviews are usually screening interviews. Your relationship with your boss will be a big factor in your success at your new job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    To answer your question: I am no pursuing a career in finance because I cannot find any jobs that are entry level. It’ll list entry level on the ad but then you scroll down and it says 2+ years of experience
    There are near-entry level jobs in finance out there. If you have as little as a year of semi-applicable experience (even unpaid/volunteer work such as keeping the books for a family business or your church), you qualify for this. Lots of youngsters do that job and find that it makes a great line item on their CV when they move on.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions, I appreciate the feedback.

I’m in sales so I treat job searches like a sales job.

I would set a daily goal for applications sent and a weekly goal for interviews. Don’t be afraid to apply for jobs that may seem like a reach. Job requirements can be flexible, especially in a market like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    If you have as little as a year of semi-applicable experience (even unpaid/volunteer work such as keeping the books for a family business or your church)...

How I got my "relevant real life experience." While getting my college degree, I posted a "your local computer guy!" ad on Craig's List, got a call from a freelance agency in New Jersey and was the "local hands" guy for a three levels of outsourcing/subcontracting IT company. Once every few weeks, I drove to this bank or that (all the same national brand) to install a server, or fix a desktop, and that's my "four years of experience, on paper!" Didn't make much money to speak of, but it looks great on the resume (and the social security record).

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    This mornings interview went great. However I don’t think I’ll be returning for a second interview. It’s not what I was looking for. They disguised a sales job which I wasn’t interested in the first place. I would’ve been on the floor at a Costco selling AT&T and direct TV products. I would’ve been one of the annoying people who try to offer you stuff that you ignore or walk away from. Not for me. Not to mention I’d have to use my own car and not be reimbursed for miles or gas while traveling anywhere from 25-50 miles each way.

No thanks

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It’s true. Different environment. Everyone here is pretty much giving him the same advice. Now people are replying just to pat themselves on the back.

Do you disagree with being thankful of being interviewed or advocate for kissing ass? Assuming the kid doesn’t walk in like a self entitled punk and has manners, he will be fine.

I think you can show gratitude for being interviewed (he should) and be polite without "kissing ass."

Surplus Guy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hood County
    You need to ask questions about the company, yes. Also ask who is your supervisor, is this a new position or filling an existing job? Anyone else with this company being interviewed. What happened to the prior employee? The purpose of asking questions is to make sure your interested and to determine if this is the right fit for you as well.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    This mornings interview went great. However I don’t think I’ll be returning for a second interview. It’s not what I was looking for. They disguised a sales job which I wasn’t interested in the first place. I would’ve been on the floor at a Costco selling AT&T and direct TV products. I would’ve been one of the annoying people who try to offer you stuff that you ignore or walk away from. Not for me. Not to mention I’d have to use my own car and not be reimbursed for miles or gas while traveling anywhere from 25-50 miles each way.

No thanks

I knew someone who worked that job. You don't want that . They play games with the incentives and commissions too.
    tips for interview - Wear a belt and shoes. Ask for the Job if you want it. a lot of folks seem interested but never ask . Say " I appreciate the time you have given me for the interview. I would really like to work at "company name" I look forward to hearing from you.:" or something like that in your own words.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

No thanks

Well if you aren't working now it is something and it is easier to get a job when you have one.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dress for the job. Strong hand shakes. Remember names. Thank them for the interview. Tell them "I show up on time. I'm dependable and I work hard. I work well with others." if this is true. lol

After the end of my interview.... they said you have any questions? I said "Yes, I know what this company is all about. I want the want the job and when can I start?" I guess it worked. 7 years into it.

Good Luck man!

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    Alright guys. I’m reaching out because I need some help.
    Deleted link. Vaquero

That link is to my resume on Dropbox. If you know anyone who owns, works, or manages a company in Houston in the finance or related industry please pass this along if you feel inclined to do so.

I know my info is in there but I trust y’all

Top Bottom