• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    Hey y’all. I’m going to be interviewing Monday and Tuesday at two separate companies. One is a Insurance Consultant and the other is a Customer service liaison/ business consultant at a marketing firm.

I previously posted about how I interviewed all over the place 2 years ago and hardly got any bites. What are some interview tips and tricks you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ARJ Defense ad

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Hey y’all. I’m going to be interviewing Monday and Tuesday at two separate companies. One is a Insurance Consultant and the other is a Customer service liaison/ business consultant at a marketing firm.

I previously posted about how I interviewed all over the place 2 years ago and hardly got any bites. What are some interview tips and tricks you have?

How old are you? We’re you working during your 2 year search? Is this area of work typical for you?

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    I’m 24. I was not working. I had just moved from ME to TX after graduating from college with a bachelors degree in accounting/finance and a minor in marketing.

I did some side work in college as a consultant for the New Hampshire Small Business Advisory Board

@Sam7sf

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’m 24. I was not working. I had just moved from ME to TX after graduating from college with a bachelors degree in accounting/finance and a minor in marketing.

I did some side work in college as a consultant for the New Hampshire Small Business Advisory Board

@Sam7sf

I don’t have a college education so take my advice lightly as it may not work in your area of work. I’m 38, and I will tell you it gets easier as you get older to find a job. It’s an uphill battle in the metroplex. The youth in my area are pretty much useless. I know in a shop or construction your age is a factor. People won’t say it but just being a hard worker and showing up to work is enough to get ahead of most guys your age.

Biggest thing I can tell you is walk into your interview like it’s not a big deal and you’re ready to work. Explain any employment gaps, don’t be nervous, be confident. Don’t be afraid of asking some questions. Treat those questions as if you’re training on the job. If you have any that is. It shows you want to work. I ask questions in an interview not to impress but to know wtf I’m up against production wise.

Be appreciative of being there and having the opportunity to interview. Keep it nice but do not kiss their ass. You’re a man. You’re no ones bitch. What I said will click as you get older and more grumpy.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Research the companies ahead of time and find some relevant things to ask questions about. There will be a time for you to ask them questions so have some ready. This will show you've thought this through.

In your questions and answers show an interest in wanting to grow in the position and develop your career.

Good luck!

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Good advice to research the companies & ask questions.

You do have to “sell yourself” (just a harsh reality) - stress how you’d be a “good fit” and their best choice to help the company’s profitability. [Efficient worker, detailed oriented, team player, good time manager, etc., etc. - whatever attributes match job requirements]

Pay attention (focus) on their names and titles/positions at the ‘introduction”. Don’t know if notes thanking them for their time are still sent but get a good delivery address from the receptionist if you decide to do this. And the ‘thank you’ note must be sent promptly after the interview. (Also, keeps your name in front of them and provides one last opportunity to stress your qualifications for the job).

May sound a little corny but I think sending a follow-up ‘thank you’ note made the difference in me getting the job one time in a large national corporation. (I think they were ‘on the fence’ between me and another candidate and that action tipped the scales in my favor).

Good luck!

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've held a few interviews. We have a talk with the interviewee to get a bearing on them, and then test them on some things with a pre-test and skills test. If they pass the pre-test, they can usually get in as long as they don't bomb the skills test. The pre-test let's us know that have some common sense and are trainable. For example, our grounds keepers have this as one pretest question : where do you grease a zero turn mower?

Acceptable answers - all hinge points, all zert fittings, what the manual calls for

My favorite fail answer - Under a tree

We look for the applicant to dress like they're serious for the interview. Suit and tie tells us you're serious about the job, but if you don't go all out - we get it. Not everyone can afford a suit, which may be why they're applying for the job. As long as they at least dress nice, we're happy. Don't wear week old jeans with half your shirt untucked, large obnoxious jewelry, and smacking gum. I would say it's common sense, but I've had enough people screw up their personal presentation that I don't know what common sense would be classified as anymore.

We had one guy recently floor us. We asked if he could come in at 8, he asked us when do we come in. We said 6, and he said he'd be here at 6. We told him the earliest we could do an interview is 7, and he was still there at 6 patiently waiting. That stacked the cards heavily in his favor. He would have had to mess up pretty big in the interview, but he showed up with a tucked in button up shirt and clean jeans, scored a 90% on the pre-test, and his answer to when he could start was "right after I give my current boss a call". His reasoning for wanting to leave didn't give any red flags, so we knew he was hired before he even finished the interview. He's been a stand up employee ever since we brought him on.

Everyone is different on how they hire (depends on the job environment), but there's some insight on how we do it at my employer.

Edit:

We do randomly look up social media profiles, so be sure your privacy settings are tight if there's anything you don't want them to see! On the other hand, if your social media is full of things related to your career path - that could help you by showing where your focus is.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    We do randomly look up social media profiles, so be sure your privacy settings are tight if there's anything you don't want them to see! On the other hand, if your social media is full of things related to your career path - that could help you by showing where your focus is.
    Good advice for the young man. Now just between you and I, I find it humorous you do it. One, unless an employee is a cause for alarm, don’t you guys got better things to do? Just giving you a hard time. I can see why with pre employment.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    You need to explain what you have to offer. Why should they hire you?

Always think about it from the employer's side. If they think you just want a job but aren't really interested in what they do you won't get far.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Show up early, dress well, clean cut, and put your damn phone away.

Even if you have to wait (because you are early) don't get out your phone.

Definitely be prepared to discuss any gaps in employment. Those hurt you and you need to explain them.

Knowledge of the company and what you bring to the table will work in your favor. Brush up on any similar projects you have worked on, even if it was in high school.

Even if it seems to be going down hill stay positive. Ma'ams and sirs and thank yous. They may not pick you for this job but you might get a call back for another similar position in the near future.

Even if it's not, this is the job you have been training for.

Good luck.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    The answer to "what's your biggest weakness" is not "I work too hard!" or "I care too much!", but "sometimes when I want to sound patient and calming, I come across as condescending."

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I don’t have a college education so take my advice lightly as it may not work in your area of work. I’m 38, and I will tell you it gets easier as you get older to find a job. It’s an uphill battle in the metroplex. The youth in my area are pretty much useless. I know in a shop or construction your age is a factor. People won’t say it but just being a hard worker and showing up to work is enough to get ahead of most guys your age.

Biggest thing I can tell you is walk into your interview like it’s not a big deal and you’re ready to work. Explain any employment gaps, don’t be nervous, be confident. Don’t be afraid of asking some questions. Treat those questions as if you’re training on the job. If you have any that is. It shows you want to work. I ask questions in an interview not to impress but to know wtf I’m up against production wise.

Be appreciative of being there and having the opportunity to interview. Keep it nice but do not kiss their ass. You’re a man. You’re no ones bitch. What I said will click as you get older and more grumpy.

Ignore Sam's last paragraph. You're not interviewing for a construction job. I've worked in both worlds. 12 years in construction, then office environment after I got my degree.

Stay engaged during the interview. Come up with specific detailed questions for both jobs before you show up. Take notes during the interview. Be polite and friendly. Make eye contact. Stay engaged in the conversation. Turn your phone OFF. Act in a professional manner.

Have a list of skills that qualify you for each job. Ask any questions that come up as a result of your questions being answered. Don't exaggerate your skills, but don't reveal obvious shortcomings either. Discuss specific examples of your skills. (I assisted preparing the budget for X project)

Ask about benefits and pay, but near the end of the interview, unless they tell you without asking. Then do not ask.

Good luck!

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    Admittingly it was a small company so it was easy to find the applicant’s vehicle but I‘d always wander outside while the interviewee was with the shop foreman to give it a quick look. You can tell a lot about a person from the condition of their vehicle. Make, model and age didn’t really matter as long as it was relatively clean inside and out was always a good indicator. Whereas a bunch of empty beer cans or trash inside was always a red flag.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    You need to explain what you have to offer. Why should they hire you?

Always think about it from the employer's side. If they think you just want a job but aren't really interested in what they do you won't get far.

Great answer. It wouldn't hurt to have someone do a mock interview for you either asking you questions the the interviewers might ask. It sounds like this is the start of a entry level job to go further and honestly as a young guy, I never really interviewed with corporate america so not much help but I would assume since I work in it now, that you want to come across as someone everyone can get along with. Be honest, polite, confident but not full of yourself. Of course being on time means you are late so be early and dress for the job. You can overdress for the job too.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Ignore Sam's last paragraph. You're not interviewing for a construction job. I've worked in both worlds. 12 years in construction, then office environment after I got my degre
    It’s true. Different environment. Everyone here is pretty much giving him the same advice. Now people are replying just to pat themselves on the back.

Do you disagree with being thankful of being interviewed or advocate for kissing ass? Assuming the kid doesn’t walk in like a self entitled punk and has manners, he will be fine.

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Lots of good things in this thread so far. To add a few of my personal favorites:

Early is on time, and on time is late.

Dress nicely, but dress for the job you want. If its office work, management, sales, or customer service area, wear a suit and tie. If the job has some manual labor involved, show up in khakis and polo shirt. I work for a world wide company and recently we were interviewing for a parts manager in Odessa, and one candidate showed up in sweatpants and Birkenstock’s. No Shit. He knew our dress code because he was currently employed at our company in another division.

Silence your phone before the interview and leave it in your pocket. Stay engaged in your interview.

When the interview is over, thank them for the opportunity and for taking the time to meet with you.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Lots of good things in this thread so far. To add a few of my personal favorites:

Early is on time, and on time is late.

Dress nicely, but dress for the job you want. If its office work, management, sales, or customer service area, wear a suit and tie. If the job has some manual labor involved, show up in khakis and polo shirt. I work for a world wide company and recently we were interviewing for a parts manager in Odessa, and one candidate showed up in sweatpants and Birkenstock’s. No Shit. He knew our dress code because he was currently employed at our company in another division.

Silence your phone before the interview and leave it in your pocket. Stay engaged in your interview.

When the interview is over, thank them for the opportunity and for taking the time to meet with you.
    For op’s likely environment, the best post in this thread right here.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Lots of good advice here. Insurance consulting sounds like sales, so be prepared for that.

Behavioral or situation questions are popular today. They start with like this “Tell me about a time...”

Generally speaking, you’ll want to have a handful of 2-minute stories you can tell to answer questions like that. We look for a brief description of the situation you were in, what you did, and what the outcome was.

Our philosophy on interviews is that the candidate has the skills necessary and meets the minimum or preferred qualifications; we’re looking for fit. That is, can you fit in with our us and, especially, will the hiring manager want to spend 40+ hours/week with you.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom