• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    So after moving on from the thought of the Ghost Gunner CNC, I've been looking at larger units that have a broader application. Stepcraft and some others.

I was hoping to makes some hard to find pistol grips and custom buttstocks for myself and maybe sell a few in the future to help pay for the CNC. I came across some possible legal issues at the state level(at least this how it describes it even though ITAR is at natonal level)? ATF doesn't recognize parts as a firearm as you all know but ITAR states that buttstocks are a controlled item requiring ITAR compliance? Can anyone confirm this or provide any insight to this? It's not worth it I have to apply for an FFL with 3,000$ in fees per 1-3 years just for pretty much a hobby.

https://www.williamsmullen.com/news/itar-guide-firearms-industry
    Venture Surplus ad

chad.mooty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2018
    League City
    ITAR is about international trade. I don't know gun laws, but I'm in the Aerospace industry, and we deal with the US government all the time, and while I'm not a part of it, my company also sells internationally. ITAR implies that it is something the US doesn't want to desseminate to non-ally countries. My company goes overboard, because there can be fines, and even criminal prosecution, but big picture wise, if you only sell to US citizens, who agree as part of the sale that their intent is use, not resale to foreign entities, and you keep records you should be fine. A FFL is not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    if you only sell to US citizens, who agree as part of the sale that their intent is use, not resale to foreign entities, and you keep records you should be fine.

This is incorrect.

I am not going to go into it all, but the simple answer is, If you make items on the US Munitions List, you must register with DDTC @$2250/yr.

Who Must Register

OP did not specify what grips/stocks he was making, so I cannot say if he has to register or not.

Also keep in mind, there is a rule change about to happen that will remove a lot of consumer stuff from the US Munitions List.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201710&RIN=1400-AE30

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/new-trump-rules-make-it-easier-u-s-gun-makers-n968601

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...to-sell-overseas/ar-BBThwkW?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    What kind of stocks are you going to make? If they do not add to the functionality of the weapon (ie if they just make it look pretty) then you don't have to register.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    What kind of stocks are you going to make? If they do not add to the functionality of the weapon (ie if they just make it look pretty) then you don't have to register.
    Yeah, this is where it got a little cloudy for me. It will not change the functionality of the firearm.

My focus would be HK P7 grips in exotic woods. HK 9x series exotic buttstocks and Nambian style forearms. Just a wide vented forearm in wood. May expand t FAL buttstocks.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I’ve heard and read all kinds of things on doing it or not. I know a FFL who is also a manufacturer. When he had his interview with the BATFE, he asked and they told him it was not necessary to pay ITAR. Actually another FFL told me he was told same thing. Then you read on the web others have been told to. As often seems the case with that agency there doesn’t seem to be a lot of consistency.

I’m going to go back up and read the new info Renegade linked.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Yeah, this is where it got a little cloudy for me. It will not change the functionality of the firearm.

My focus would be HK P7 grips in exotic woods. HK 9x series exotic buttstocks and Nambian style forearms. Just a wide vented forearm in wood. May expand t FAL buttstocks.

IMO you would not need to register now. Certainly not after the new rules take effect.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I believe our participation in ITAR is over, from what I've been reading lately. I was going to apply for an FFL to sell cast bullets for heavy caliber revolvers about a year ago, and was stunned at the huge amount of money to comply with ITAR. Since then I've seen that the U.S. is no longer a party to it. Guess it was something the jug-eared, horse-faced former occupant of the White House got us into to stifle law abiding citizens in this country. If this turns out to be true, I may revisit my plans to apply for an FFL.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I believe our participation in ITAR is over, from what I've been reading lately. I was going to apply for an FFL to sell cast bullets for heavy caliber revolvers about a year ago, and was stunned at the huge amount of money to comply with ITAR. Since then I've seen that the U.S. is no longer a party to it. Guess it was something the jug-eared, horse-faced former occupant of the White House got us into to stifle law abiding citizens in this country. If this turns out to be true, I may revisit my plans to apply for an FFL.

You must be confusing ITAR with something else. ITAR is US Law. It has not been repealed.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Who got it passed? I can't believe the NRA and other Second Amendment organizations would have stood by and allow a turd of a law like this even come up for consideration! This still sounds like something the previous administration pushed through.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Who got it passed? I can't believe the NRA and other Second Amendment organizations would have stood by and allow a turd of a law like this even come up for consideration! This still sounds like something the previous administration pushed through.

Ford, which was before NRA was really active politically. 99% of ITAR is to keep the commies from getting our cool stuff.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Yeah but what I saw is if you want to manufacture something they could want you have to be compliant and pay the $2250/yr. Even if all you want to do is get an FFL Mfgs Lic to reload ammo.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Exactly! I doubt Gerald Ford put that in, and besides when Ford was president I had an FFL and damn sure wasn't required to pay $2250.00 per year. I think Ojugear had that put in. There must be some Obama fans on here. I couldn't stand the jug-eared liar myself!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Exactly! I doubt Gerald Ford put that in, and besides when Ford was president I had an FFL and damn sure wasn't required to pay $2250.00 per year. I think Ojugear had that put in. There must be some Obama fans on here. I couldn't stand the jug-eared liar myself!

What does this discussion have to do with anyone being Obama fans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom